Recent Immigrants make "net contribution" to finances

I've been arguing this for years on here yet people still seem to want to blame a lot of our problems on people moving from abroad.

At the risk of being controversial, isn't about time now to turn the attention away from recently arrived immigrants and to start to look at the problems within the indigenous population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24813467

I put a link quite recently linking to the same information. The xenophobic naysayers will doubtless be along in their multiple username droves to pretend it's not true.

I've been arguing this for years on here yet people still seem to want to blame a lot of our problems on people moving from abroad.

At the risk of being controversial, isn't about time now to turn the attention away from recently arrived immigrants and to start to look at the problems within the indigenous population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24813467

Yes and no... they are linked.

What the report doesn't take into account is that EEA immigrants make a strong contribution but this does not take into account the benefits paid to the indigenous population who we should be forcing to take the jobs that the EEA immigrants are taking - go to London and most jobs in cafes, bars and eating places are filled by (very good) easterm Europeans. If you factor that in then is the contribution still positive?

Then we turn to non-EEA immigrants (a group in their millions) who over the last decade haven't made a positive contribution and the situation will get worse as more get to retirement age. And they will also not have factored in things like the billions spent of security because of the threat from terrorism that came with this group of immigrants. And, even if they do manage to one day breakeven, it is not a reason not to tighten immigration controls to cherry pick the few who make a strong contribution and get rid of the majority who do not. Think of it like this (maths kept simple):

Immigrant 1 - net contribution -£1

Immigrant 2 - net contribution -£2

Immigrant 3 net contribution £4

Net contribution = £1

Get rid of the first 3, or stop them coming in, then the net contribution goes up 400%. That is smart immigration policy, the current is stupid.

And that is just the financial issues that can be quantified. There are cultural problems too caused there is a lack of integration and a dislike for our way of life from some immigrants. What price do we put on an easier life without change, threat and tip toeing around other peoples beliefs and sensitivities?

but this does not take into account the benefits paid to the indigenous population who we should be forcing to take the jobs that the EEA immigrants are taking - go to London and most jobs in cafes, bars and eating places are filled by (very good) easterm Europeans. If you factor that in then is the contribution still positive?

The wonder of fanciful thinking Zamo. Yes in an ideal world our unemployed would be doing those jobs in London cafes, bars and eating places-in fact they'd be seeking out those jobs, but have you ever wondered why they aren't? Why are they being superseded by (very good) EEA immigrants who've travelled to be here, don't have the supportive infrastructure our own have and don't even have English as their first language?

Forcing these people to work may well be possible, but would you continue to frequent those London cafes to be served by indolent, reluctant individuals? The cafes would go out of business, oh and the staff back on the dole. This could be applied across all sectors where unskilled immigrants are working in the UK.

Ps. I'm all for smart immigration (but I guess we'll all have different definitions of what smart means).

The wonder of fanciful thinking Zamo. Yes in an ideal world our unemployed would be doing those jobs in London cafes, bars and eating places-in fact they'd be seeking out those jobs, but have you ever wondered why they aren't? Why are they being superseded by (very good) EEA immigrants who've travelled to be here, don't have the supportive infrastructure our own have and don't even have English as their first language?

Forcing these people to work may well be possible, but would you continue to frequent those London cafes to be served by indolent, reluctant individuals? The cafes would go out of business, oh and the staff back on the dole. This could be applied across all sectors where unskilled immigrants are working in the UK.

It isn't an 'on or off' thing. We no doubt need some immigrants to plug gaps but you have effectively just written off the 2.5 million unemployed of this country as no-hopers... and I get accused of generalisations!

Yes and no... they are linked.

What the report doesn't take into account is that EEA immigrants make a strong contribution but this does not take into account the benefits paid to the indigenous population who we should be forcing to take the jobs that the EEA immigrants are taking - go to London and most jobs in cafes, bars and eating places are filled by (very good) easterm Europeans. If you factor that in then is the contribution still positive?

Then we turn to non-EEA immigrants (a group in their millions) who over the last decade haven't made a positive contribution and the situation will get worse as more get to retirement age. And they will also not have factored in things like the billions spent of security because of the threat from terrorism that came with this group of immigrants. And, even if they do manage to one day breakeven, it is not a reason not to tighten immigration controls to cherry pick the few who make a strong contribution and get rid of the majority who do not. Think of it like this (maths kept simple):

Immigrant 1 - net contribution -£1

Immigrant 2 - net contribution -£2

Immigrant 3 net contribution £4

Net contribution = £1

Get rid of the first 3, or stop them coming in, then the net contribution goes up 400%. That is smart immigration policy, the current is stupid.

And that is just the financial issues that can be quantified. There are cultural problems too caused there is a lack of integration and a dislike for our way of life from some immigrants. What price do we put on an easier life without change, threat and tip toeing around other peoples beliefs and sensitivities?

You saved me a lot of time posting something similar....Thanks!!

I bet the figures also don't take into account the cost of schooling, health care, interpreters etc.

There's lies, damn lies and statistics and people will fudge the figures to suit their own agenda.

I suspect immigrants from certain countries are overall costing us an absolute fortune, especially those who aren't educated and don't speak our language.

We're a small island with a growing population, I think it's time we became much stricter on who we allow into this country. If we have a shortage of brain surgeons, then allow in people with the relevant qualifications, but it's time to stop inviting people in willy nilly.

Regards

Doom

It isn't an 'on or off' thing. We no doubt need some immigrants to plug gaps but you have effectively just written off the 2.5 million unemployed of this country as no-hopers... and I get accused of generalisations!

No I havent written them off, I've asked you to consider why they're being superseded for jobs that EEA immigrants are taking.

---------- Post added 05-11-2013 at 08:38 ----------

You saved me a lot of time posting something similar....Thanks!!

I bet the figures also don't take into account the cost of schooling, health care, interpreters etc.

How do you know this? Do the net figures take into account the costs of schooling and healthcare for the indigenous?

There's lies, damn lies and statistics and people will fudge the figures to suit their own agenda.

Which is precisely what you're seeking do, but without providing any evidence.

I suspect immigrants from certain countries are overall costing us an absolute fortune, especially those who aren't educated and don't speak our language.

There may well be immigrants from certain countries costing us a fortune, but this latest research takes account of that.

We're a small island with a growing population, I think it's time we became much stricter on who we allow into this country. If we have a shortage of brain surgeons, then allow in people with the relevant qualifications, but it's time to stop inviting people in willy nilly.

Again, more fanciful thinking-people are not invited in 'willy-nilly', do you remember the recent trouble those protesting Syrian refugees had getting into the UK?

That report is a load of balls. UCL is a hotbed of fabianism and liberalism. Ask any normal working-class person on the street (and there are a lot more of us than there are snooty academics) what they think of immigration and you will get a very different answer.