History of Laycocks

I worked at Laycock's in the Cutter Grind Department from 1959 until about 1965. The boss was a guy named Maurice Rogers. He didn't smoke.drink or swear but never tried to impose his beliefs on anyone else. He was a pefect gentleman and an all round nice guy. Don't know whether he's still around or not.

There used to be two guys who worked in the stores, Lou and Ron. who both had one arm missing. They used to delight in getting us younger persons trapped between their stumps. You couldn't move too far when they did that. All in good fun then but would probably be frowned upon nowadays.

Some ways down the line.......

Ron Ward and Lou Dawes. Both spot on geezers - I worked with Lou for a while and he was a real gem of a bloke. I'm not sure about Ron but I know Lou has passed on.

Hi Kevin63,

Did you used to work in Archer Road production control, by any chance?

No I did my apprenticeship at Archer Road on the M/C shop floor then on to the Conamatics and finally ended up in the Method Engineers.

No I did my apprenticeship at Archer Road on the M/C shop floor then on to the Conamatics and finally ended up in the Method Engineers.

OK, thanks.

Great bunch of photos BTW. Brings back memories.

http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss10/bennyandtheblades/?action=view&current=Photobucket.jpg&newest=1

Any one remember any ot these guys .

Archer rd Cutter Grinders 1963?

I think I remember the chap in the second photo. I cannot remember his name but I believe he was disabled and needed a couple of walking sticks to get around. A nice guy - very pleasant and always spoke.

C'mon someone and help me out with his name - was it Albert?

Anyone remember Dave Barber? He worked there in the 60's. Grinders I believe

Was the disabled guy you are on about called Harrold.

Was the disabled guy you are on about called Harrold.

Thanks Kevin63, indeed it was Harrold. I'll be able to sleep undisturbed tonight.

Thanks Kevin63, indeed it was Harrold. I'll be able to sleep undisturbed tonight.

My husband says that his name was Harold Ward and his son worked on the overdrive at Little London Rd.

My husband says that his name was Harold Ward and his son worked on the overdrive at Little London Rd.

Thanks Cynthia and greetings from the UK.

Please say hello to Hamilton from me the next time you pass through.

Sorry not got the hang of this yet, there was only supposed to be the one Photo. the 2ND photo is of Harold Broadhurst.

The first photo was taken by our Charge hand Maurice Rodgers in I think about 68 ?- George Marsh, Harold Broadhurst, Jack Simpson, Arthur Leah, George Milner..

I remember Stan Ellis and Charlie Brookfeild working in the cutter grinders but this would have been late 70s and in the 80s, this made a 2 min trip a 1hr stay.