History of Laycocks

Sorry owdlad no idea where he went after Jacobs closed and don't bump into anyone who knows but if I do find out anything I'll PM you.

I worked at Laycocks from 1977 until really the present day, but under a different company name.

I have many memorys of Laycocks and the people who worked there and there are too many to mention as when i came out of my apprenticeship i worked in the Method Engineers (Super Setters) and worked at all 3 factories.

I also have many memories of the Laycocks fishing club, i started to go on the trips in1978 when 2 coaches used to go, it was organized by Joe Winter and Tommy Blackwell and Charlie Midson used to help out.

I still work with quite a few of the old Laycocks workers but will not say who they are as i respect there privacy.

I also have quite a few of the old Laycocks magazines of which most were from before my time.

We still have chats about the old Laycocks days and they will always be with me.

Going back a long time now.

Does anybody remember the internal works railway at Laycocks at the Archer Road site?

I recall seeing the steam tank locomotive which was used, running in the early 1950s. It was clearly visible from the gate on Archer Road.

Anybody got a photograph?

My dad worked at Laycocks on overdrive about tbis time, bet they knew each other !

did the guy called keith have ginger hair? iremember these names

john north was working at jacobs in 2000.my foreman micklewaithe .pat the storeman took over from two stumps. also a guy called ernest grayson top man..

My dad worked at Laycocks on overdrive about tbis time, bet they knew each other !

My husband worked on the overdrive. He was at Laycock's from 1950 until 1982.

Cynthia.

did the guy called keith have ginger hair? iremember these names

john north was working at jacobs in 2000.my foreman micklewaithe .pat the storeman took over from two stumps. also a guy called ernest grayson top man..

Keith Hilton didn't have ginger hair, he had dark brown (probably grey or gone by now)

Does anyone remember that bloke (I think he was called Jack) who never got warm? We once walked out on strike because it was too hot to work, and Lambert who was the Personel officer at that time was stood at the top of the ramp from the clutch dept laughing his head off because snakey jack was walking up behind us with his bluddie top coat on :hihi: Happy days :D

Both my grandads worked at Laycocks well in the late 1980's,their names were Frank Brammer who worked in the overdrive department, he was asked by Laycock to run night classes at college twice a week teaching people engineering. He worked there from the 1930's upto retiring.

My other Grandad was Robert Ledger who worked in the offices at Archer road

Again he was there quite a few years.

Does anyone remember these people, if so please reply.

Both my grandads worked at Laycocks well in the late 1980's,their names were Frank Brammer who worked in the overdrive department, he was asked by Laycock to run night classes at college twice a week teaching people engineering. He worked there from the 1930's upto retiring.

My other Grandad was Robert Ledger who worked in the offices at Archer road

Again he was there quite a few years.

Does anyone remember these people, if so please reply.

I knew Frank Brammer. He was one of the foreman of the Overdrive Assembly Department. If he is still with us he will know myself because I often sold him charity fund raising tickets etc for Muscular Dystrophy.

Whilst I worked in almost in every section of the works at Laycock. Archer Rd, Camping Lane, Little London. I finished in the Hardy Pick on the Blocking Ring Section it being the most productive one. (Bell to Bell)??!!

I've a number of old photographs of people at Laycocks and I'll send copies to anyone.

I left on being made redundant in October 1989 and to be honest I've never ever looked back or wished I was still working anywhere. I enjoyed my working life at Laycocks and met some very, very good people. Your grand-father was one of the best of them.

I knew Dennis Travis. He always had a smile on his face until I'd inspected the job. I sometimes had to get my birth certificate out to prove that he was wrong!!

I send him my good wishes to Canada.

Joe Winters and crew down at the Over-drive replacements appear to be doing well and I send my best wishes along to ever one else.

I remember Laycocks for the kids' Christmas parties. I seem to remember that the presents were pretty good

does anyone remember John Hobson? He worked at laycocks early 60s till retirment in the 90s, first at little london i think then at archer road we lost him recently i miss him very much, i just wonderd if anyone had any memories of him.

does anyone remember John Hobson? He worked at laycocks early 60s till retirment in the 90s, first at little london i think then at archer road we lost him recently i miss him very much, i just wonderd if anyone had any memories of him.

Every one at the Little London Road knew John. And I think I can speak for everyone, 'He was a good bloke to know and work with'. I'm sorry to hear that he's left us but room needs to be made for others. I'll convey the sad news on to Peter & Mabel.