History of Laycocks

Hi Willy.

Thinking back we had just got the job how we wanted it back then hadn't we, fair wage, free overalls, free safety glasses, free safety boots, and the bu##ers went and closed it..

There's no Justis is there.......;)

Hi Willy.

Thinking back we had just got the job how we wanted it back then hadn't we, fair wage, free overalls, free safety glasses, free safety boots, and the bu##ers went and closed it..

There's no Justis is there.......;)

hiya grinder j,i remember talking to d pilkington when he was shop steward about the wage talks with management,and i said why don't you change tactics instead of starting off asking for £12 p.w. and their offer was zero, when it finished we allways finished with £5 p.w.at first i suggested luncheon voucher's other firms got them. or free boots,free overalls,which after came about, i remember boot allowance being £30 p/y.

---------- Post added 28-11-2014 at 19:46 ----------

I wonder if you know that there is a topic on Laycocks in the History & Expats section with several pages about the firm and people who worked there. I was there in the 60s in the electronics dept.

hiya,not many would have seen the foundation stone with the date of laycock's archer rd, it was at the top of the steps leading to where the shooting range was near the base of the tall chimney,i wrote on another thread the name VICTORIA WORKS, well in 1895 laycocks was situated at the top of victoria st,near brook hill, and the laycock family home is now the notre dame school,the laycock on suffolk rd was a member of the same family.ps grinder you must have passed the foundation stone after clockiing in and out at the begining and end of your shift. just before the bottom of the drive.

hiya grinder j,just thinking as i was reading the posts about the cutter grinders i can remember only five names there was you ,harold, charlie, george,bert, as for bert he would have been 103 next march,i know this because he was in the same class as my dad.

Edited by willybite

Hi all

Did anyone work in the clutch dis-assembly / assembly from mid 1966 onwards?

Remember the conditions? Asbestos machining?

Hi Willy.

I'd been in the CG a while before Charlie B became foreman Morris Rodgers was the foreman when I went in,a real gentleman in ever sense of the word.

There were two Georges, Edwin, Arthur, Harold, Stan, Bert, Alan and Tom who's place I took when he moved into the tool room, in about 1961/62...

Re: History of Laycocks

Hi all Did anyone work in the clutch dis-assembly / assembly from mid 1966 onwards? Remember the conditions? Asbestos machining?

My dad worked there in the 50's. they used to have great parties for us kids at christmas and loads of day trips,we also used to go with Mum and Dad on Sunday afternoons to their club

To all you ex Laycock employees out there. It is with great sadness that I have to inform you that Joe Winter has passed away. His funeral will be held at Hutcliffe Wood on Wednesday 13th May at 12.30 pm. Joe will be sadly missed by his family and many, many friends.

A reunion is to be held for all ex-employees of Laycock Engineering Ltd on Thursday the 15th October 2015 at Laycocks Sports Club, Archer Road from 7.30pm onwards. Please make every effort to attend as this will be the first reunion with out Joe Winter and could very well be the last one depending on the turn out. If you will be attending please let Peter know on 01142 482632

Hi Willy.

I'd been in the CG a while before Charlie B became foreman Morris Rodgers was the foreman when I went in,a real gentleman in ever sense of the word.

There were two Georges, Edwin, Arthur, Harold, Stan, Bert, Alan and Tom who's place I took when he moved into the tool room, in about 1961/62...

hiya grinder j i was puzzled about one of the georges, but remember when i worked in clutch m/s a setter i think he was in c/g before he became a setter,his name was george toothill

My uncle, Colin Dyson worked there in the 60's he was an electrician. I also had a friend who told me that his father worked at Laycock's and invented the first automatic tyre remover. His sir name was Martin.

Hi Willy,

Not while I was in there, unless he came from Little London road ?..

The two Georges were George Marsh (who sadly has recently pass away) and George Milner.

Edited by grinder

hiya grinder j i was puzzled about one of the georges, but remember when i worked in clutch m/s a setter i think he was in c/g before he became a setter,his name was george toothill

I remember George Toothill, he was a Charge Hand in the Cluch Dept. Spring Shop. He was very anti-union, in fact I got the impression that he was anti-just about everything. A thoroughly unpleasant and obnoxious individual who definitely didn't like it when you stood up to him and told him to **** off if he tried to give you any grief. A nasty piece of work without a doubt.