History of Laycocks

My dad David Pitts was on about the reunion last week but said he wasn't sure to go or not,my mother,David's wife passed away in may and I would like him to go and meet some old friends if there's still any left as my dads in his 70s,does anybody remember him he worked in the foundry all his life.

Grinder its so that mr winter knows roughly how much food to order plus we would like your advice on sharpening some shears:love:

Grinder its so that mr winter knows roughly how much food to order plus we would like your advice on sharpening some shears:love:

Cheeky ....:hihi:

Cheeky ....:hihi:

hiya tell me was albert smith the same one in the 60s who built a self propelled bi-plane who loaned it to the odeon cinema to advertise those "magnificent men in the flying machines" i think it was 1964ish

Everyone at the Little London Road knew John. And I think I can speak for each one of them. 'He was a good bloke to know, talk to and work with'.

I'm sorry to hear that he's left us but room needs to be made for others. I'll convey the sad news on to Peter & Mabel.

Is this albert smith that used to go bird warching with dave pitts

Laycock reunion this thursday twenty fifth seven thirtish Laycocks sports club archer road

I'd like to thank the organises for a very enjoyable evening, there was a good turn out and I had a great night of I know the face now guess the name.

There was some talk that that maybe the last one, I sincerely hope not.

So once again Thanks...

Laycock reunion this thursday twenty fifth seven thirtish Laycocks sports club archer road

My memories of Laycock Eng.are from Sept.'67 to early 1977 when I started as an apprentice with the likes of Terry Dawes,Trev Kitson.and Steve Butcher.These were the best years of my working life,we spent the first year in the training centre being taught by amongst others Jack Skelsey and the infamous 'Two Thou'Ted Hall.It was as apprentices that we found a box containing old football shirts in the stores and listening to it's history that we decided to try and reform the football team,this developed into us putting together a 'cracking side'which won promotion in the works leagues just about every year.Team from,Dick Lamb,Frank Glover,Steve Wilcox(God Bless),John Collins,Brian Ferris,Georgie Brumpton,John Ludlam,Ron Scaife,Barry Warburton,Chris Hobson,Steve Butcher,Roger Wilkinson,Mick Atkin under the guidance of Billy Haythorne and Ron Ward.Other people that influenced my working and social life at laycocks were Paul Britton,John Cawthorne,Sid Wright,my old Quality foreman,Ray Morris-Manager,along with Ray Wragg-Works Manager.But my best memories are of the social evenings with Roger Wilkinson,Kenny Hewitt(God Bless)and Paul Britton,Barry Warburton OOH! and Dick Lamb(mad as a hatter!).Some of the football social events.............George Best would never have survived and the 'special Presidents Evenings' OOOOH LA LAAAAH!:love:

Edited by GeorgyGirl

All my family worked at Laycocks between 1942 and until it was taken over by LUK. Mr Grandad was Colin Wragg (Overdrive) his wife was Lucy Wragg Nee Stocks who worked at Hardy Pick, my Great uncle Ray Wragg. My mum Linda Pickering Nee Wragg, my dad Dennis Pickering, my step mum Jackie McKay. My uncle Andy Wragg, still works (kind of) at LUK as an inspector. Colin Wragg died in September 2005, but all of the names mentioned on here an known by myself. By coincidence I had my 40th birthday party at the Laycocks club and was attended by many of the offspring of ex Laycocks employees, including Malcolm Bramley, Frank Copley Dunn and Alan Morewood.

All my family worked at Laycocks between 1942 and until it was taken over by LUK. Mr Grandad was Colin Wragg (Overdrive) his wife was Lucy Wragg Nee Stocks who worked at Hardy Pick, my Great uncle Ray Wragg. My mum Linda Pickering Nee Wragg, my dad Dennis Pickering, my step mum Jackie McKay. My uncle Andy Wragg, still works (kind of) at LUK as an inspector. Colin Wragg died in September 2005, but all of the names mentioned on here an known by myself. By coincidence I had my 40th birthday party at the Laycocks club and was attended by many of the offspring of ex Laycocks employees, including Malcolm Bramley, Frank Copley Dunn and Alan Morewood.

I remember Colin he was a manager at the overdrive factory when I was an apprentice down there, I also worked in the toolroom at Archer Road when your uncle Andy was jig boring in the 80s.

Edited by Michael_W

Hi johnpick, My husband, Dennis Travis, worked at Laycocks for 31 years until 1982, the majority on the Overdrive as a Senior chargehand. He knew Colin and Ray (Cherry) Wragg. He sends his condolences as he did not know that Colin had died.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

I remember Colin he was a manager at the overdrive factory when I was an apprentice down there, I also worked in the toolroom at Archer Road when your uncle Andy was jig boring in the 80s.

My Dad worked in the tool room in the 80's he used to organise the dinner and dance with Pete Howard!