History of Laycocks

Sorry yes they had names Herbert and Mark Warner

I knew Bert very well. Prior me leaving to go to a job down in Surfleet, Lincs.

He went with me very early on a Monday when we were on the night shift.

He was living at Manor Park I believe then but left eventually to live on HutcliffeWood Road in the 80s. Mark most probably would know me though I can not place him at the moment. Many men at work had nick names and you mainly often knew them like that.

You will appreciate that generally in a workshop its not 'After you sir!!'.

I agree entirely with you and add that society was better of for it also. However facts need recording for those who follow us and history.

On the Felco hoist job at your time at Archer Road, Millhouses Works were (Foreman) Alf Alcock who lived at Millhouses and (Chargehands) D Cooke, Derick Wallace were working on the job.

I have in my garage a Felco Hoist. I'll have to find its number and traced if you progressed it!! It was working some years ago.

I actually prefer the way it is now, at least now we know the way men really think about us when the 'lads' get together. The myth of respect for 'good' women is shown to be a sham just to delude us into doing the housework or something :rolleyes:

Shopfloor people - Jack Forshaw (his daughter Wendy worked 'up the drive') wasn't there also a chargehand called Harry Alcock? Larry Lamb who used to train the apprentices ... I can't remember anyone else at all, and yet I worked in Goods In and Despatch at various times during my training ... weird! We were always in the Stores too, buying new overalls and shoes! I remember one of the one armed guys from Clutch Control. Might have been Lou?

I didn't work at Silvertown, I was in the offices at South Kensington - although I did have to sign off the safely certificates for the Wedco Wire Slings ... if yours is signed 'ruby dazzler' that would be totally amazing!! ;)

Sorry yes they had names Herbert and Mark Warner

My husband (Dennis Travis) told me that unfortunately Bert Warner died some years ago, he must have been your father, we send our condolences.

Albert Smith-- my husband cannot recall you, is that your name or is it a pseudonym ??.

Regarding the men with only one arm, he started to laugh and told me that they were always larking about and hitting him with their stumps.

I always read him these messages and the ones on the Sheffield United thread as it brings back memories of times gone by.

Best wishes to all old Laycock employees.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

My husband (Dennis Travis) told me that unfortunately Bert Warner died some years ago, he must have been your father, we send our condolences.

Albert Smith-- my husband cannot recall you, is that your name or is it a pseudonym ??.

Regarding the men with only one arm, he started to laugh and told me that they were always larking about and hitting him with their stumps.

I always read him these messages and the ones on the Sheffield United thread as it brings back memories of times gone by.

Best wishes to all old Laycock employees.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

For Dennis with the lovely Black Wavely, clean looking hair who always looked clean & tidy.

Remember:- Phill Beaumont - Noel Stevenson - Ted Moulson - Derrick Mullins - Robbo - Wagg - Colin Wragg - Ken Rodgers - Harry Sherburn - Jack Stacy - Ken Ball -

Next line was the Annulus

You often called me 'Hawk_Eye' and other words occasionally when a yellow card went on the job, This entailed me producing my 'birth certificate!!'.

I was 'gold fingers' Inspector.

As soon as I read your latest submission to Dennis he said ,"Of course I knew him we always argued a lot".

He also remembers all the other names and is suprised that you didn't mention Ray Hill, Len Hill, Alan Moulson and Harry Jackson.

Regarding him always looking clean and tidy, he has always been fastidious with his appearance and I cannot remember him ever going out without a tie on even to work, until we came here. It is very hot in the summer, some days it goes over 100 F and averages 85F, so he does relent and goes out with an open neck shirt.

He sends his best wishes to all his ex Laycock mates.

Cheers, Cynthia, Just east of Toronto.

As soon as I read your latest submission to Dennis he said ,"Of course I knew him we always argued a lot".

He also remembers all the other names and is suprised that you didn't mention Ray Hill, Len Hill, Alan Moulson and Harry Jackson.

Regarding him always looking clean and tidy, he has always been fastidious with his appearance and I cannot remember him ever going out without a tie on even to work, until we came here. It is very hot in the summer, some days it goes over 100 F and averages 85F, so he does relent and goes out with an open neck shirt.

He sends his best wishes to all his ex Laycock mates.

Cheers, Cynthia, Just east of Toronto.

So I hope all those ex Laycock get there finger out and put thee oar into this thread.

Regarding arguing, its a inspectors way of life.

They always look for what is wrong, or may go wrong. Anyone can see what is right!!

my grandad worked there, Reg Chapman, anyone remember him?

dont know when he was there but can find out exact dates...

my grandad worked there, Reg Chapman, anyone remember him?

dont know when he was there but can find out exact dates...

From memory I think I can recollect a Reg Chapman who worked at the Archer Road Division. A Mick Chapman, Who may be related, became the Manager of the Over-Drive Division at Little London Road. I always admired him because from small beginnings he took the opportunities offered him, educated himself by going to evening classes, often sitting with me on the night shift doing his home work, (Asking me all the hard questions!!) and aimed high. If the GKN management took care of him later when the firm closed, I do not know, I can only hope so.

My dad, Harry Miller, worked at Laycocks for years! Yes, I can remember all those parties, fantastic for youngsters :) !! The other thing I remember is that engineering smell as we walked through the works area to the canteen for the party. Nowhere else seemed to smell like that ever!!! I can't recall any of the names on here, nor anyone that my dad spoke of except possibly someone with the surname of Tissington or something similar, sorry I can't be specific.

I'm not sure of the dates he worked there, possibly in the early 50's and if memory serves me right, he left for a while around 54/55, but went back again - I think that was at Archer Lane . As far as I know, he worked on overdrives (in fact I think I might still have one of those plastic sacks with the black markings on for overdrives!!!).

I'm not sure exactly when, but I think around 58 or 59, he borrowed at tent from someone at work - I think it was a lady - for us to go on holiday to see if we like camping.

Around 60/61 he suffered a heart attack and was in hospital for what seemed ages (it probably was in those days!!). He continued working at Laycocks, but on an easier job and I think that was when he started at Little London works, but his health deteriorated and he also had stomach ulcers. Eventually, he passed on in 74 as by then he had also been diagnosed with cancer.

Does anyone remember him - I know its a long shot as there were so many employees.

My dad, Harry Miller, worked at Laycocks for years! Yes, I can remember all those parties, fantastic for youngsters :) !! The other thing I remember is that engineering smell as we walked through the works area to the canteen for the party. Nowhere else seemed to smell like that ever!!! I can't recall any of the names on here, nor anyone that my dad spoke of except possibly someone with the surname of Tissington or something similar, sorry I can't be specific.

I'm not sure of the dates he worked there, possibly in the early 50's and if memory serves me right, he left for a while around 54/55, but went back again - I think that was at Archer Lane . As far as I know, he worked on overdrives (in fact I think I might still have one of those plastic sacks with the black markings on for overdrives!!!).

I'm not sure exactly when, but I think around 58 or 59, he borrowed at tent from someone at work - I think it was a lady - for us to go on holiday to see if we like camping.

Around 60/61 he suffered a heart attack and was in hospital for what seemed ages (it probably was in those days!!). He continued working at Laycocks, but on an easier job and I think that was when he started at Little London works, but his health deteriorated and he also had stomach ulcers. Eventually, he passed on in 74 as by then he had also been diagnosed with cancer.

Does anyone remember him - I know its a long shot as there were so many employees.

I'll come back and I hope others will who remember Harry.

He worked in the Maag House at Little London Road works, checking the various gear angles and finishes.

Hi STENNER, Re you father working at Little London Rd, my husband has been trying to recall his face and wonders if he had a moustache, if so he knew him.

He also thinks that your father lived off Scarsdale rd. Please let me know if he is correct.

Cynthia, Canada.

Hi STENNER, Re you father working at Little London Rd, my husband has been trying to recall his face and wonders if he had a moustache, if so he knew him.

He also thinks that your father lived off Scarsdale rd. Please let me know if he is correct.

Cynthia, Canada.

Tell Dennis that Harry worked in the Maag House and on the Gear Section.

I'm almost certain that he lived on Greenhill.

In the Maag House with him was Peter Carter. John Revell. (Harry was his other shift mate for a while) ? Hargreaves. Ken Rodgers (Foreman) Bill Turney (One eye) ? Thornehill (Turkey Neck.

STENNER:- Your Dads job was to ensure that all the gears that fitted into a Overdrive fitted correctly. They HAD to be correct on:- Size, Angle, Finish, HAD to be quite in operation and the machine which tested all this was accurate to within One Millionth of an inch. Though normally Half a Thousand part of an inch was worked to.

You can appreciate that your father would require assistance in winning argument's on ODD occasions!! He would now tell you, 'You can not love them all the time, On odd occasion's you did have a different opinion, At such times you would always ensure that you worked in a safe environment!!??'.