History of Laycocks

does anyone remember John Hobson? He worked at laycocks early 60s till retirment in the 90s, first at little london i think then at archer road we lost him recently i miss him very much, i just wonderd if anyone had any memories of him.

Everyone at the Little London Road knew John. And I think I can speak for each one of them. 'He was a good bloke to know, talk to and work with'.

I'm sorry to hear that he's left us but room needs to be made for others. I'll convey the sad news on to Peter & Mabel.

I worked at Archer Rd from 1963 until 1967 ... I obviously heard that artisan was going to work there and got out whilst the going was still good :hihi:

I worked in Production Control as a junior clerk, I remember lots of names from those years. Cyril Heywood was the Manager in charge of that office. It was truly a great place to work and almost everyone from the south side of Sheffield seemed to work there at one time or another. All the 'bosses' at that time seemed to have started as apprentices and worked their way up.

I also remember the children's parties as my father worked there for a while in the 50s ... the pressies were good, Ned Ludd is right! And all employees got a hamper at xmas too.

I worked at Archer Rd from 1963 until 1967 ... I obviously heard that artisan was going to work there and got out whilst the going was still good :hihi:

I worked in Production Control as a junior clerk, I remember lots of names from those years. Cyril Heywood was the Manager in charge of that office. It was truly a great place to work and almost everyone from the south side of Sheffield seemed to work there at one time or another. All the 'bosses' at that time seemed to have started as apprentices and worked their way up.

I also remember the children's parties as my father worked there for a while in the 50s ... the pressies were good, Ned Ludd is right! And all employees got a hamper at xmas too.

Can you remember the woman who we use to call, ' T--s on Sticks '?

She was about 42" with very thin legs

Ray Morris ( Groo-Shaw!!) was always engaging her in a conversation.

I would have been working either in the Clutch or on the Car Washers at Camping Lane during your time. Though I went to South Lincs in 1967.

Can you remember the woman who we use to call, ' T--s on Sticks '?

She was about 42" with very thin legs

Ray Morris ( Groo-Shaw!!) was always engaging her in a conversation.

I would have been working either in the Clutch or on the Car Washers at Camping Lane during your time. Though I went to South Lincs in 1967.

In that era, men were usually still respectful to women to their faces and that sort of conversation wasn't normally carried out within our earshot, so no, I don't know who she was ... :cool:

Hilda Clayton, Edith Parker, Bill Fairbrother, Keith Bywaters, George Ramsden, Joan Reaney, Stan Cadman, Rita Maher, Margaret Yeardley, Jill?, Jane Spencer?, Marian ?, man who always wore regimental blazer, John ? body building person, Peter Parkin/er? all in the office.

I could probably remember more people if I saw the names but that's all I can remember just now. I got a transfer to work at Felco Hoists in South Kensington in 1967 and never saw anyone from Archer Road again :(

I presume Laycock-sport is long gone from the forum, but if they were still interested in historical morsels I can tell them that the Laycock family grave is in the General Cemetery, it's quite a nice one too, a photo of it would look good as part of the archive. Contact them here.

In that era, men were usually still respectful to women to their faces and that sort of conversation wasn't normally carried out within our earshot, so no, I don't know who she was ... :cool:

Hilda Clayton, Edith Parker, Bill Fairbrother, Keith Bywaters, George Ramsden, Joan Reaney, Stan Cadman, Rita Maher, Margaret Yeardley, Jill?, Jane Spencer?, Marian ?, man who always wore regimental blazer, John ? body building person, Peter Parkin/er? all in the office.

I could probably remember more people if I saw the names but that's all I can remember just now. I got a transfer to work at Felco Hoists in South Kensington in 1967 and never saw anyone from Archer Road again :(

I agree entirely with you and add that society was better of for it also. However facts need recording for those who follow us and history.

On the Felco hoist job at your time at Archer Road, Millhouses Works were (Foreman) Alf Alcock who lived at Millhouses and (Chargehands) D Cooke, Derick Wallace were working on the job.

I have in my garage a Felco Hoist. I'll have to find its number and traced if you progressed it!! It was working some years ago.

I presume Laycock-sport is long gone from the forum, but if they were still interested in historical morsels I can tell them that the Laycock family grave is in the General Cemetery, it's quite a nice one too, a photo of it would look good as part of the archive. Contact them here.

Are you certain that the family that you refer to are the,'Laycocks Engineering Family'? Another Laycock string had, and may still have, a painting business down near Granville Road. I would be pleased if you could clarify this as in the roundness of time I may well write my memories of working at Laycocks. They still pay me my pension.

My husband and his Dad both worked for Laycocks for many years.My husband worked in the garage looking after all the wagons and company cars,when the garage closed he moved onto the shop floor making overdrives.

My husband and his Dad both worked for Laycocks for many years.My husband worked in the garage looking after all the wagons and company cars,when the garage closed he moved onto the shop floor making overdrives.

Did they have name. About 2000 more also worked at laycocks.

But I can not recollect them if they don't have a name!

Sorry yes they had names Herbert and Mark Warner

A relation of mine was a manager at the Archer Road site...Ron Carr.

Dick Tedds, an old rugby mate worked in the m/c shop. He sadly died a few years ago of cancer

someone mentioned xmas parties, i remember them with great fondness they used to show warner bros cartoon, googy daffy duck etc, and we would have the usual jelly and icecream, great memories and we would always get a pressy i probably went around late sixties early seventies.