UK [to be] 'fastest-growing Western economy'

Then you must be getting paid more.

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 16:40 ----------

Duke of Darnall more like.

Brilliant.............................

You will be because the personal allowance has been unfrozen and is increasing rapidly if nothing else.

And he would never admit it anyhow.

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 16:44 ----------

I'm specifically talking about the burden on households.

I don't think Tories are in any position to lecture given the current debacle. They're just as bad as Labour.

But why are the current government having to make cuts? I see France has just had it's credit rating cut again.

I am paying slighly more, what don't you understand?

People don't understand why you are paying more. Either you have had an adjustment of your coding notice, or you earn way way more then you have previously indicated. The personal allowance has been rising fast in the last few years and the vast majority of people are paying less income and NI.

And he would never admit it anyhow.

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 16:44 ----------

But why are the current government having to make cuts? I see France has just had it's credit rating cut again.

We're having to make cuts because we're picking up the tab for the banks' almost crashing a fair proportion of the global economy.

If you look back at government borrowing before the crisis you will see that it was high but not particularly high.

It was not government borrowing or high levels of government spending that caused the crisis. If you think was did please explain exactly how.

It was not government borrowing or high levels of government spending that caused the crisis.

No but it didn't leave Britain very well placed to deal with the crisis when it hit.

We're having to make cuts because we're picking up the tab for the banks' almost crashing a fair proportion of the global economy.

If you look back at government borrowing before the crisis you will see that it was high but not particularly high.

It was not government borrowing or high levels of government spending that caused the crisis. If you think was did please explain exactly how.

How many more times?

Just because you don't like the answer does not mean you should keep asking the question.

IIt obviously would be better if the deficit had been lower at that point. The real spurt of borrowing was in response to the crisis, and because of the crisis:

1. Rapid fall into recession and massive loss of output causing reduced tax receipts and rapid increase in welfare costs.

2. Cost of bailing out the banks.

The idea that pre-crisis government spending actually caused the crisis is at best a convenient myth, at worst a bare-faced political lie. One for the idiots who can't think for themselves.

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 17:35 ----------

How many more times?

Just because you don't like the answer does not mean you should keep asking the question.

It's not the answer though is it. Pre-crisis government spending did not cause the crisis.

Explain how you think UK government spending triggered a collapse of the sub-prime mortgage market in the USA.

It's not the answer though is it. Pre-crisis government spending did not cause the crisis.

This is true, but pre crisis government spending DID mean there was no cash available to weather the storm meaning huge cuts had to be made in government spending to stop the ship from sinking like Greece, Cyprus, Spain and Italy.

This is true, but pre crisis government spending DID mean there was no cash available to weather the storm meaning huge cuts had to be made in government spending to stop the ship from sinking like Greece, Cyprus, Spain and Italy.

There would never be any cash available, not with a Tory government and not with a Labour government. For the vast majority of the last few decades we've run deficits.

We would never have had hundreds of billions of surplus cash just sitting there waiting for a massive event like that. And if we had that surplus taxpayers would have been irate anyway.

I understand the need for the cuts. All parties understood what was needed. And they were all promising to make them, only differing on timescales.

My tea leaves say that the UK's trade gap position is steadily improving, and accounts for (or evidences) the steadying growth more than any resurgence of domestic credit-based consumption.

That is, according to both news reports throughout 2013 and my (many-) manufacturing/exporting clients, whose situation has been steadily (and markedly-) improving since late 2011 ("the bottom", at least as I perceive it).

That's not what this weeks reports are saying, I wouldn't read too much into those tea leaves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24865870

If Labour had not increased public spending so much than there would have been far fewer cuts to make! Then there's the problem that they never increased taxes enough to cover the increased spending, leaving us in a record peacetime deficit when their 13 year reign of terror ended. Why can't we have a government that just does its job instead of trying to micromanage peoples lives?

You mustn't blame the bankers there are some on here who even agree with their massive bonuses saying "if you want the best you have to pay for it".

The fact is we are paying for it! We're all now paying for the mess that they created knowing that along with this forum there are numpties all around this country saying the same. next they'll be blaming Jo Public, :loopy:

---------- Post added 09-11-2013 at 11:21 ----------

If Labour had not increased public spending so much than there would have been far fewer cuts to make! Then there's the problem that they never increased taxes enough to cover the increased spending, leaving us in a record peacetime deficit when their 13 year reign of terror ended. Why can't we have a government that just does its job instead of trying to micromanage peoples lives?

That's what I'd like to know, when are we going to get a proper labour government?