Strike action in the public and private sectors !

Having worked in Payroll i can stay that:

In 2013, average hourly earnings in the public sector were £16.28 an hour, compared to the average £14.16 among private employees.

is a load of crap and no way to PS works get an average of THAT.

Speaking of the public / private split - it may interest you to knowthat public sector workers are more likely to do unpaid overtime than people working in the private sector.

I do get paid for my over time(@x1.5), but since my contract is for 30 hours, and I work 36-8; I lose out on holiday pay and pension payments.

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 19:37 ----------

Having worked in Payroll i can stay that:

is a load of crap and no way to PS works get an average of THAT.

We have just had a pay rise, and its gone up to £7.19 per hour.

Public sector, private sector; workers should get a fair deal, wages, health and safety etc.

This 'union nonsense' as someone described it is not nonsense.

Without unions we would still be living in victorian conditions.

Workers have a right to withdraw their labour, collectively if they feel that they are not being treated fairly, and after democratic process.

As for poverty, try telling that to the man with mental health issues I spoke to last night, begging for the price of a B&B for the night.

Tell it to the mother I know with 4 kids who has to get a ticket for the local foodbank to help feed them.

This wasn't always the case for her, so society has changed in this country, and not necessarily for the better.

What about my kids, who won't be able to get a proper education because I can't find 9k per child per annum?!

As for poverty, try telling that to the man with mental health issues I spoke to last night, begging for the price of a B&B for the night.

Why was he "begging for the price of a B&B". We have mental health care in this country. The man should be treated. We have social housing in this country. Where does the man normally reside? What suddenly happened to this place? If the man is street homeless - guess what? We have homeless shelters in this country.

Maybe you should have called the police if this "man" was in such a desperate state. Maybe he is from a secure unit and absconded. Maybe he does have accommodation but due to his symptoms he is not able to function. Maybe he was just full of BS.

Either way. The state provides. NOT POVERTY

Tell it to the mother I know with 4 kids who has to get a ticket for the local foodbank to help feed them.

This wasn't always the case for her, so society has changed in this country, and not necessarily for the better.

Maybe you had better ask the "woman" you know what the hell she is doing with her £60.00 child benefit each and every week. The kids will have a father of course, is he out there earning? But maybe she is divorced or separated from the father. In which case he should be compelled to pay maintenance for the children. Why is that not happening?

Does she or can she not work in some capacity? When you breed you need to pay for them. Its called responsibility. If she had work and was unfortunate to lose it, the state provides you with benefits to live on until you find other work.

Woe is me and needs a food bank. My foot. Maybe think about managing money better.

As usual and as said repeatedly. The state provides NOT POVERTY.

What about my kids, who won't be able to get a proper education because I can't find 9k per child per annum?!

Free state education between the ages of 5-18?? I would call that a proper education.

Private school does not automatically equal better educated and better qualified. Plenty of children from state school make it into the real work with good qualifications and good jobs.

You are sounding like a complete snob now.

Free mandatory education for all children. NOT POVERTY.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Without unions we would still be living in victorian conditions.

That's precisely what some of the gobs on here want

That's precisely what some of the gobs on here want

maybe if we went back that way lazy people would actually get off their ass:thumbsup:

Why was he "begging for the price of a B&B". We have mental health care in this country. The man should be treated. We have social housing in this country. Where does the man normally reside? What suddenly happened to this place? If the man is street homeless - guess what? We have homeless shelters in this country.

Maybe you should have called the police if this "man" was in such a desperate state. Maybe he is from a secure unit and absconded. Maybe he does have accommodation but due to his symptoms he is not able to function. Maybe he was just full of BS.

Maybe you had better ask the "woman" you know what the hell she is doing with her £60.00 child benefit each and every week. The kids will have a father of course, is he out there earning? But maybe she is divorced or separated from the father. In which case he should be compelled to pay maintenance for the children. Why is that not happening?

Does she or can she not work in some capacity? When you breed you need to pay for them. Its called responsibility. If she had work and was unfortunate to lose it, the state provides you with benefits to live on until you find other work.

Woe is me and needs a food bank. My foot. Maybe think about managing money better.

Free state education between the ages of 5-18?? I would call that a proper education.

Private school does not automatically equal better educated and better qualified. Plenty of children from state school make it into the real work with good qualifications and good jobs.

We do have mental health care in this country, we do have homeless shelters and social housing. Unfortunately not enough to meet demand.

I work in the field of social care, I see this everyday. People's needs are greater than capacity. That isn't about personal failings - god, I've made plenty of bad choices in my life, like everyone has. When it comes down to it do we want a society that recognises human fallibility and seeks to alleviate it with compassion; or do we want a dog eat dog world where people who live in ivory towers tell those who are excluded for whatever reason, that they are useless and deserve everything they get.

Edited by Mister M

Who mentioned private school? not me.

I was refering to university tuition fees, trippled thanks to the good old Lib Dems.

Visit the streets of Manchester, I'm sure Sheffield is similar; people living rough on the streets, have to tick several boxes before they are guarnteed housing, which I won't bore you with as I'm sure you will insist they deserve to be homeless because they're not as clever as you!

To get guaranteed shelter, they need to sustain temperatures of sub zero for three consecutive nights, that's nice.

And the woman with the kids, she works for BELOW minimum wage, as a carer, for a private care company.

The way it is calculated, it wouldn't happen in a unionised industry. her partner walked out years ago. I suppose that's her fault too?

Get real

maybe if we went back that way lazy people would actually get off their ass:thumbsup:

No they wouldn't and they never will, there will always be people which others call lazy no matter what people try and throw at them

Public sector workers are more likely to do unpaid overtime (26.3 %), than private sector (18.9%) - is that incorrect? If you have more up to date figures then share them.

Each person who does overtime in the public sector does lees than some one doing unpaid overtime in the private sector..as I said Statistics eh?

Who mentioned private school? not me.

I was refering to university tuition fees, trippled thanks to the good old Lib Dems.

Right, firstly. Not everyone in the world can and should end up going to university. There are already too many graduates coming out with not enough jobs to go to. The value of certain degrees has dropped through the floor because grads are rolled out like a factory line.

EDUCATION as a whole does not have to be higher. People have mandatory state school and freely available college education up to the age of 18. That give everybody a fair chance in life.

Unlike some countries around the world, school is not exclusive for the privileged and wealthy only. Vocation and higher academia is open and available for all teenagers who choose to take it.

There are plenty of ways to get up the career ladder that does not involve university.

In any event, the majority of those who do want to go to university are funded through a student loan. This is a government loan open to anyone of any age wishing to apply for a course. It even applies to open university courses so mature adults can get one too.

Its a non credit checked loan which has the most soft payment terms ever. Yes they maybe racking up a debt of 9k a year BUT, have you actually looked at the facts of how these loans are paid back...

Firstly nobody pays a penny until they are earning over £16900 a year. Secondly the repayments are at 9% which for most people on average post grad salaries are less than £100 a month. Thirdly, if your income falls or you are out of work the loan repayments cease until you start again. Fourthly, if you never end up paying it off within 30 years its written off entirely.

Hardly and unfair and exclusive policy is it? What about all those countries that have no such schemes.

Visit the streets of Manchester, I'm sure Sheffield is similar; people living rough on the streets, have to tick several boxes before they are guarnteed housing, which I won't bore you with as I'm sure you will insist they deserve to be homeless because they're not as clever as you!

To get guaranteed shelter, they need to sustain temperatures of sub zero for three consecutive nights, that's nice.

I know full well what is available to genuine street homeless people. I spent over 10 years working for a legal aid firm dealing with social welfare. Its not the box ticking exercise I was talking about - which of course they get government funded support to complete enabling them to get such a house/flat/bedsit/secure accommodation in any event.

I am talking about the fact that even street homeless have the option of going to a shelter or service which gives them somewhere to sleep and food in their belly. I never said that anyone deserves to be homeless and it has piddle all to do with being cleverer than anyone.

What I am saying is that the actual amount of people who have NO OPTION but to be on the streets is minimal. We have social housing, elderly care homes, respite shelters, supported housing, hostels, B&B provision and for those still unfortunate enough to be out there, we have emergency accommodation shelters and communal food centres to get a hot meal.

Have you seen what life is like in other countries? Have you any idea of what REAL poverty is? They would kill for even a slither of that kind of provision.

And the woman with the kids, she works for BELOW minimum wage, as a carer, for a private care company.

The way it is calculated, it wouldn't happen in a unionised industry. her partner walked out years ago. I suppose that's her fault too?

Why does she work for BELOW minimum wage. That's illegal. Maybe she should report her employers as clearly by law she cant receive anything less. Sod all to do with unionised industry. If she is an employee she gets minimum wage. If she isn't then why doesn't she do something about it.

I don't say its her fault at all that her partner walked out. But she is entitled to maintenance payments - is she not getting them? If not, then only SHE can get that sorted out. She needs to take action.

She will of course be getting her child benefits for each kid. Presumably if she is on such a low income she will also get the other benefits that such people are entitled to and which the state provides for.

I have said it four times now. The state provides for people in this country. They need to get out there and take what is available for them. If they are not - whose fault is that?

You "get real". If your sob story examples are trying to convince me they are desperate and what IMO is really defined as "poverty" - it doesn't

Edited by ECCOnoob

The facts are out there,(check how the care industry operates) the loopholes are well documented.

These are not sob stories, but real life. I care not to elaborate, for you are obviously lacking in compassion.

I'm fortunate not to know you my friend. Yawn