Origin Broadband

Karl, Many thanks for that.

Have you checked with dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome to see when your cab is going to be enabled for vdsl by BT?

Before I went with DR for vdsl, my cab wasn't showing as planned to be done by BT. It's now showing 31st May 2014.

---------- Post added 15-02-2014 at 22:47 ----------

"I can also confirm that the build of our new network is going ahead, and will allow the majority of Origin’s customers to receive fibre optic broadband."

New Network? 'Cause replicating BT's once wasn't enough?

Edited by ubergeek

"I can also confirm that the build of our new network is going ahead, and will allow the majority of Origin’s customers to receive fibre optic broadband."

New Network? 'Cause replicating BT's once wasn't enough?

I took that to mean Origin's internal network, from the exchange to their servers. Pete is welcome to correct me.

On that dsl checker http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput I get:

Featured Products  	Downstream 		Upstream		Downstream 	Availability Date		
		Line Rate(Mbps) 	Line Rate(Mbps)		Range(Mbps)
WBC ADSL 2+ 		Up to 6 		-- 			4 to 8 		Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M 	Up to 6 		Up to 1 		4 to 8 		Available
ADSL Max 		Up to 5 		-- 			3.5 to 7.5 	Available
WBC Fixed Rate 		2 			-- 			-- 		Available
Fixed Rate 		2 			-- 			-- 		Available

Thrilling speeds.....

K.

Well I get :-

FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 78.1 20 20 -- 31-May-14

FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 67.2 20 19 -- 31-May-14

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 4 to 8 Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 4 to 8 Available

ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available

WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Other Offerings

Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 31-May-14

At least I'll be able to have infinity, I'm one of the lucky ones

"Up to 6" also includes the number 0....

I was on BE internet before they sold out to Sky, and never achieved anything better than 3.5Mb/s. I am on the edge of the city centre exchange, the one BT can't be bothered to upgrade to fibre.

K.

"Up to 6" also includes the number 0....

I was on BE internet before they sold out to Sky, and never achieved anything better than 3.5Mb/s. I am on the edge of the city centre exchange, the one BT can't be bothered to upgrade to fibre.

K.

I don't think that it's a case of being bothered. BT will have a number of companies running more expensive LES, etc lines in the city centre. Would you rush to remove this revenue stream?

---------- Post added 16-02-2014 at 00:53 ----------

Overall, Origin need to improve their communication with their customers. Dropping a PDF onto one web forum late on a Friday isn't the best way to deal with this. I would like to say that I feel confident of Origin's future, but I don't!

Is that PDF saying that, if you can get Origin NOW, you'llstill be able to get it when DR is switched off?

I'm on an exchange/cab that can ONLY get DR fibre, and have been umming and ahhing about upgrading from my ADSL, but have been put off by the DR closure.

Is that PDF saying that, if you can get Origin NOW, you'llstill be able to get it when DR is switched off?

I'm on an exchange/cab that can ONLY get DR fibre, and have been umming and ahhing about upgrading from my ADSL, but have been put off by the DR closure.

No, as I read it if DR is the only fibre in your area (like mine) when it goes you'll be back to adsl. I wouldn't bother moving TBH.

Does anyone know why Origin haven't widely published this update letter, such as on their website, email to ALL customers, facebook, etc?

Are they trying to hide something or is it just bad communication?

Probably because the update doesn't tell us anything new and is deliberately vague. Not once do they mention we will be migrated to BT.

Either they are hoping to buy out part of the DR network to cover the gaps (so do not want to encourage people jumping ship early) or they just don't want people to know they might get stuck back on ADSL.

It must be a pretty awful position to be in for them though. They must be trying desperately to prevent a mass exodus of customers to a different ISP. Although personally, I think they would do better to just be brutally honest with their customers.

Either they are hoping to buy out part of the DR network to cover the gaps (so do not want to encourage people jumping ship early)

I'm not even sure how that would work. Not sure you can pick and choose parts of the network to buy, cherry picking cabinets. There's back haul, interconnect and management to think about.

I think it's probably more likely that 6 months of £25 is probably better than zero months.

But who knows, they seem to dip in, dip out and then don't come back to answer questions..

Sensible that Chess are not accepting new orders, but having a quick look at Origin's website, I see no mention of the impending DRL closure, and they still have forms for signing up to their "services"...