Origin Broadband

What's the current position regarding Origin Broadband?

I was messed about by Virgin & BT and so am looking for another provider.

There's an Origin box 150 yards from me and their website says I can get decent speeds.

I was a bit put off by the woman I spoke to, I gave her my phone number 0114...... and she asked whether or nit it was a landline!

Are they a fibre to cabinet or fibre to premises provider?

I changed mine to FTTC and stayed with my previous provider - Plusnet. Since then about 18 months ago - not had a single dropped connection, not had any internet problems and I get 60 - 65 Mps.

Cannot praise it highly enough. Was fixed at the appointed time and never had a problem since.

Not related, no interest in the firm. Cannot comment on the rest of their customer service - never had any need to use it!!

Same here, went with BT infinity and it's never given me any issue.

Maybe the newer kit is more reliable or something?

They were brilliant for us until around the middle of this year. Since then we've had nothing but problems, left hand won't talk to the right hand, right hand says they'll call you back but never does, or on the rare occasion they do and they tell you at 5pm, "We'll call you later", and they call you when you're in bed near 11pm, or tell you they'll call back in 30 minutes to an hour, then call back way after that when you've given up and decided to go to the pub.

waiting months for a new router then receiving a new cellpipe and being told it was actually the cellpipe that was the problem, then having the same problem, so calling again to be told it was the router and can't understand why we have a cellpipe, having to ring them at least once every couple of days, disconnections, lag, and a lot of the times we've been unable to contact them due to issues with their phone system. They used to be fantastic, but we're rather bitter at the moment and will swap ASAP when our contract ends.

Edited by milliardo

Cheers Dave.

Just got a call back from Origin - fibre isn't at the box near my home yet, they can give me 4Mb/s for £24pm. Their website says I can get 20 MB/s for £18.

I'll have a look at Plusnet.

Just moved from Plusnet FTTC. Connection was ok but traffic management was a nightmare. Sky go on my phone was constantly buffering, used to switch to my cell connection which was infinately better for streaming.

No such problems with my Sky FTTC

Same here, went with BT infinity and it's never given me any issue.

Maybe the newer kit is more reliable or something?

I was going to go with Infinty a while back. BT told me Wadsley exchange was waiting for "a power bus" to be installed, could take a few weeks, maybe a couple of months.

Now they tell me

"In relation to ordering the BT Infinity; I have called our Infinity Team and they have advised that this service is not yet available in your local area. We can advise you will be upgraded however this can only happen when your cabinet is upgraded by Openreach."

That's the cabinet that says "Fibre Broadband is here" on a big label attached to it.

Advertising Standards next stop.

Advertising Standards next stop.

Don't bother you won't get anywhere.

The cabinet is Openreaches domain, they are a separate company and the bain of the entire industry.

Everyone hates Openreach but since there's no oversight on them there's nothing anyone can do.

They do what they want, when they want and if you don't like it well then stuff you.

Was plusnet one the broadband told to block torrent sites?

Too late, just did!

Openreach were given a bit of pounding on BBC's "Watchdog" the other day.

They are still part of the BT group though.

Yes and No.

I went on the ASA site, submitted details and a photograph and noted the bit where they say they don't pass complainants' details on to the advertiser.

Got a reply asking for details of the complaint and a photograph, and asking my permission to pass my details on to BT/OpenReach.

Whilst I was considering my reply I got an email from BT, Surprise! Surprise! Infinty is now available to my premises. That's from "no plans" to "it's here" in about a week.

It's almost if BT had noticed that I was visiting other ISPs' websites and that I'd spoken to Plusnet on the phone.

What's the current position regarding Origin Broadband?

I was messed about by Virgin & BT and so am looking for another provider.

There's an Origin box 150 yards from me and their website says I can get decent speeds.

I was a bit put off by the woman I spoke to, I gave her my phone number 0114...... and she asked whether or nit it was a landline!

Are they a fibre to cabinet or fibre to premises provider?

Hi,

Not all 01/02/03 numbers are on conventional landlines - which may be why you were asked this. I would assume it wasn't showing as a conventional 'WLR' landline on my colleague's checks.

We are unable to place orders on the private fibre at the moment, but we are able to place orders for conventional 'BT' based fibre services. We're hoping to be able to place orders on the private network again soon.

They were brilliant for us until around the middle of this year. Since then we've had nothing but problems, left hand won't talk to the right hand, right hand says they'll call you back but never does, or on the rare occasion they do and they tell you at 5pm, "We'll call you later", and they call you when you're in bed near 11pm, or tell you they'll call back in 30 minutes to an hour, then call back way after that when you've given up and decided to go to the pub.

waiting months for a new router then receiving a new cellpipe and being told it was actually the cellpipe that was the problem, then having the same problem, so calling again to be told it was the router and can't understand why we have a cellpipe, having to ring them at least once every couple of days, disconnections, lag, and a lot of the times we've been unable to contact them due to issues with their phone system. They used to be fantastic, but we're rather bitter at the moment and will swap ASAP when our contract ends.

Could you please call tech support again today and mention that Pete asked you to call and I'll personally make sure we resolve this issue for you. Failure to call customers back is not acceptable to us and I will look into the reasons why this has happened in your case.

Pete