New Swimming Pool in High Green?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/5-million-sheffield-pool-and-sports-centre-plan-revealed-1-6204978

I live in High Green and can't say I've even heard of this before, but I'm certainly not excited as suggested in the article.

Wouldn't it be better to keep that nice open expanse of land as it is and spend some money on upgrading Chapeltown Baths?

I know they were certainly trying to get funding to upgrade Chap Baths at one stage, including adding a new gymnasium in there.

In these difficult financial times, this seems an unnecessary expense to me.

Regards

Doom

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/5-million-sheffield-pool-and-sports-centre-plan-revealed-1-6204978

I live in High Green and can't say I've even heard of this before, but I'm certainly not excited as suggested in the article.

Wouldn't it be better to keep that nice open expanse of land as it is and spend some money on upgrading Chapeltown Baths?

I know they were certainly trying to get funding to upgrade Chap Baths at one stage, including adding a new gymnasium in there.

In these difficult financial times, this seems an unnecessary expense to me.

Regards

Doom

It sounds like they want to close Chapeltown Baths, and have this new facility at High Green.

Total madness.

The Council have this obsession now with new sports facilities as it enables them to tap into various funding sources.

They will not be happy until every sports facility in the city is Council owned, with Council staff running them.

It looks like a nice green space that will be built upon and covered in tarmac for parking. No doubt the land where the Chapletown baths are located will be used for housing etc. The net result is a loss of green space.

People can exercise outside, they don't have to drive to a building and exercise inside.

As places like Chap Baths are community run businesses, the council have no powers to close them I'd assume. What they're actually going to do is put them out of business, like a Tesco opening next to a local grocer.

It looks like a nice green space that will be built upon and covered in tarmac for parking. No doubt the land where the Chapletown baths are located will be used for housing etc. The net result is a loss of green space.

People can exercise outside, they don't have to drive to a building and exercise inside.

I can't argue with that.

There's also the question of the new swimming pool that's part of the Fox Valley Development in Stocksbridge.

Why would they want to build a new £5 million pool in Stocksbridge when they're already likely to get a new one provided by Dransfield Properties?

It seems like a waste of £5 million to me. Why not use the money to improve the existing Stocksbridge and Chapeltown baths and then we get two for the price of one with money left over to invest in other sporting developments?

The Government/Europe/Council do like to waste OUR money.

Regards

Doom

Swimming outside all year in High Green. I wonder how popular that might be.

---------- Post added 01-11-2013 at 15:24 ----------

Council does something - whinge.

Council does nothing - whinge.

It sounds like they want to close Chapeltown Baths, and have this new facility at High Green.

Total madness.

The Council have this obsession now with new sports facilities as it enables them to tap into various funding sources.

They will not be happy until every sports facility in the city is Council owned, with Council staff running them.

Missed the boat , so to speak, with the recent cycling grants though!

I can't argue with that.

There's also the question of the new swimming pool that's part of the Fox Valley Development in Stocksbridge.

Why would they want to build a new £5 million pool in Stocksbridge when they're already likely to get a new one provided by Dransfield Properties?

It seems like a waste of £5 million to me. Why not use the money to improve the existing Stocksbridge and Chapeltown baths and then we get two for the price of one with money left over to invest in other sporting developments?

Regards

Doom

Stop talking sense.:)

Council does something - whinge.

Council does nothing - whinge.

If you actually take the trouble to look you'll see I don't just mention the Council.

It may well be that their hands are tied with this investment and they can only use it on a new build.

Wherever the money is coming from, at the end of the day it's still our money and I consider it to be a waste of that money when investment could be made at two perfectly good existing facilities to bring them up to standard.

I know the people responsible for running Chapeltown Baths were trying to get investment to expand, but that seems to have now gone very quiet, I'm guessing they couldn't get the funding.

I actually enjoy walking through that big green space where the park currently is, so as someone suggested above, it does seem a shame to give up more of our green space for this facility when existing facilities already exist.

Regards

Doom

I agree I would like to see a gym/swimming pool. fitness classes around chapeltown. we haven't got anything.

I can remember someone saying something about a new swimming pool/sports facility last year when they were talking about shutting Stockbridge. Thought it was madness, but looks like its true.

Would it not have been cheaper to upgrade Stocksbrige?

I also heard (rumours - don't know how true) that some people were keen to shut STocksbridge so a new one could be built near Chapeltown.

Edited by Shef_Fitness

I'm a member at Chapeltown Baths, and I'm really disappointed by this news. I usually walk there so I won't be using the new pool in High Green. It's not the easiest location to get to, can't wait to see how busy it is when it snows!!