Would you move back to Sheffield

I moved from Sheffield in 1995 and although I have never regretted it I still feel a great affinity with Sheffield and will always think of myself as a Sheffield lass. I now live in West Dorset and I much prefer the quieter and slower pace of life here. I have been back to Sheffield a couple of times since 1995. The last time I stayed in a B & B out in Bakewell. I drove to the outskirts of Sheffield, parked up then got a bus into the city. None of the roads are where they used to be and it would have just been a nightmare trying to find my way around in the car.

So that answer is no, I would not want to ever move back to Sheffield but I think that is mainly because the Sheffield I love now only exists in my memory and the memories of others of a similar age. The city has evolved, along with every other city in the world, it's had to. That's life. Nothing can or does ever stay the same.

Grannypat

I moved from Sheffield in 1995 and although I have never regretted it I still feel a great affinity with Sheffield and will always think of myself as a Sheffield lass. I now live in West Dorset and I much prefer the quieter and slower pace of life here. I have been back to Sheffield a couple of times since 1995. The last time I stayed in a B & B out in Bakewell. I drove to the outskirts of Sheffield, parked up then got a bus into the city. None of the roads are where they used to be and it would have just been a nightmare trying to find my way around in the car.

So that answer is no, I would not want to ever move back to Sheffield but I think that is mainly because the Sheffield I love now only exists in my memory and the memories of others of a similar age. The city has evolved, along with every other city in the world, it's had to. That's life. Nothing can or does ever stay the same.

Grannypat

I would suggest that you are absolutely right in the sentiments which you express .

Despite the changes which have taken place in Sheffield , changes have also taken place in the minds of those people who have moved away - they have built new lives and, good luck to them .

I am of the firm opinion however,that despite those changes which they have sought -and hopefully found -the roots from which they sprang still hold very firmly in their hearts and, there is nothing to regret in that.

You are absolutely right in that nothing ever stays the same , but one thing will always remain constant ,and that is your memories .

As I have remarked before , " You can take the person out of Sheffield , but you can't take Sheffield out of the person.

I would challenge any of the contributors to this thread to deny that , at some time during their conversation with new found friends -where ever they are -that they have never been ashamed of saying that they are from Sheffield ; except of course , to say that they are from Yorkshire . Be it North Riding , West Riding or East Riding.

Edited by mikebatty

Hi Mike,

I'll tell you what I do miss about Sheffield/Yorkshire - the sense of humour. Also the warmth of the people. The way complete strangers can pass the time of day and then move on. Here if you speak to strangers they look at you as though you might want to borrow money or something. Being a Sheffield lass I do have the habit of thinking I can pass the time of day with anyone who may be stood near me. Wrong. I also find that my sense of humour is not shared nationally but perhaps that is more me than them. The last time I went back 'up north' it was just to be able to touch base with Yorkshire warmth again and enjoy some banter with the people.

Pat

Hi Mike,

I'll tell you what I do miss about Sheffield/Yorkshire - the sense of humour. Also the warmth of the people. The way complete strangers can pass the time of day and then move on. Here if you speak to strangers they look at you as though you might want to borrow money or something. Being a Sheffield lass I do have the habit of thinking I can pass the time of day with anyone who may be stood near me. Wrong. I also find that my sense of humour is not shared nationally but perhaps that is more me than them. The last time I went back 'up north' it was just to be able to touch base with Yorkshire warmth again and enjoy some banter with the people.

Pat

Hi Pat.

I think that you are right about the warmth and the humour ,though I think the reason for the difference would be more difficult to understand , but I don't think that it is deliberate .

If I could give an example of what I mean :

I spent my honeymoon in Cornwall . We stayed in Newquey. We went on an outing to Bosscastle , where I suffered a flat tyre . I had taken all the tools out of the car and forgot about them . A local garage offered to sell me a spanner to unfasten the wheel .

A very kind builder , who was doing a job close by , offered to loan me a spanner ; his accent was obviously local .

I thanked him very much for his kindness , turned and was about to attack the wheel when he asked ," Where abouts in Newcastle are you from "?

I picked up the spanner , coughed , spluttered and retorted in the deepest guttural accent that I could command , "am from Sheffild - its in Yorksher".

" Is that near Newcastle " was the response .

They just have no idea ,poor things .

Its all down to us missionaries - Do your best love .

Hi Mike,

I shall, in future, try to look upon it in that light instead of getting exasperated. I shall spread the 'love' in true Yorkshire style.(Mek 'em 'av it). I shall try to think of myself as a missionary in deepest darkest Dorset. You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. You have opened my eyes and given me an insight into how I can exist in this heathen environment and perhaps show them how to try to be a little more Yorkshire and a little less Dorset. It would be for their own good, after all. They must be able to see the benefits in this surely.:hihi:

Pat

I moved to Newcastle about 9 months ago. I lived at Grenoside for 19 years and I do miss the area. I think Sheffield is a very green city and I did not realise this until I moved. There is a lot of fine people who live in Sheffield. However I had to live in my late mum's house on the Parson Cross estate after she died for a year. I think it was one of the worst parts of Parson Cross, the antisocial behaviour was terrible. There was a programme on television about policing Sheffield and it showed you Parson Cross and the antisocial behaviour that the police had to deal with. I certainly do not miss that area where I lived. In the programme the commentator said Parson Cross is a predominately white area, I'm not to sure about that when I last looked around the area.

Coming to Sheffield next week to visit mom and family. Its been a few years since my last visit and am looking foreward to it very much. I shall see for myself how much has changed and how valid a lot of these comments are. I am going to try out the Mexican food and see if it is more authentic than last time. I hear it is pretty good thesedays. Going to take supertram all over just to get a good look at all the areas. Expect to be putting on a few pounds with all the catching up on liquid refreshments. CHEERS.

Coming to Sheffield next week to visit mom and family. Its been a few years since my last visit and am looking foreward to it very much. I shall see for myself how much has changed and how valid a lot of these comments are. I am going to try out the Mexican food and see if it is more authentic than last time. I hear it is pretty good thesedays. Going to take supertram all over just to get a good look at all the areas. Expect to be putting on a few pounds with all the catching up on liquid refreshments. CHEERS.

Now- come on !

You said that you are visiting your mum and family.

It seems from your contribution that you are as much interested in the food and booz !

Good luck, and a good reunion .

I hope that you enjoy your stay -family, food and booz , and return home with a good memory.

We are returning to the UK but not to Sheff

Well said Tzijlstra.

Takes somebody not born here to remind those who were what a great place Sheffield is. I'm a Sheffielder born and bred and proud of it. As you said Brilliant access to city AND countryside all within half an hour. Come on Sheffielders, where's your pride?

Hi mikebatty. Thanks for your reply, yes I did mention food a lot,but its my profession, just want to see the local interpretation of the cuisine. The Mexican border is just a couple of hours drive from where I live and we have a large number of Mexican eateries in L A so I am just curious.

sharrowyank

We left Sheffield in 1964, for the first few years we were a little home sick, we live in Australia. We have returned 7 times over the years, ourlast visit was 2014 and we st ill love visiting, we hope to make maybe our last in 2016. I wouldn't want to live there, mainly because of the weather and the traffic congestion not only in Sheffield but the whole

country. Although at first we missed the old Sheffield we have now become accustom to it and look forward to seeing new changes.