Would you move back to Sheffield

Thank your lucky stars that bullerboY let go of it or we might have him to contend with out here!

Had about 50mm up here over the last week or so. My next door neighbour, originally from Luton (I know, but you have to appear friendly), has had his sister over here for the last couple of days. Knowing that we have had practically a drought for the last 6 months, thought she would get away from the UK rain. Not stopped since she came here.

Great to hear that you are a great great grand-dad Skippy, you are certainly old enough! Be a lot more work for you, but it will keep you young. Talking of which, great to have you back on your feet again, changed your mind about coming back to Sheffield with us in June? It's a great place to visit. I will be spending at least 3 weeks, on and off, in Sheffield. I even got a great deal at the Sheffield Hilton for 4 nights, didn't tell them about bullerboY though, might not have let me in. Take care, millsie.

Well, that's a coincidence Millsie, me and the wife are coming back to Sheffield for 6 weeks from June 15. Last time was 1995. Will be staying with family although the Sheffield Hilton sounds a bit exciting! I intend to post a lengthy dialogue on here about my experiences / thoughts / feelings and maybe answer that question - Would I move back to Sheffield? Hope you do the same.

Hi Downsunder, great to hear you will be making a trip back to Sheffield, how long since you were there? Hope that the weather is reasonable for the Tour de France. BullerboY is so excited, he is getting his old Raleigh polished up. he will be quite a sight in lycra!

Wife and I will be leaving here on the 15th June, but go straight on a tour of Scotland for 8 days before hitting Sheffield. The Hilton is right on Victoria Quays, you can walk anywhere around town from there, and it's a great spot. We paid just under 70 pounds a night there, very reasonable. In fact, if you go on booking.com, you can get some great deals if your timing is right. We've stayed at the Kenwood and the Leopold before, having got great prices. Never dreamed of staying there when we were kids! Could afford to stay at home in Shirecliffe then.

Looking forward to catching up with some old school friends while I there, and bullerboY if he is still alive, be nice to meet up with you for a drink if we can time it right.

I think that you are like me, fond memories of Sheffield, great going back there to see the family and visit places in and around the city. However, Gosford here in NSW is the place for me, we have actually lived in this house for over 40 years now. Besides, Sheffield Twist Drill would take me on anymore. Don't know why though, I reckon Jack Parker, the chief engineer back in 1965 was 70 (my age) when I was an apprentice there.

Take care downsunder, hope to catch you again sometime.

Millsie

What a pity that you two are leaving on my birthday, sorry I can't join you this time around, just got my all clear millsie, so off to Cowra to see our great grand child, and when our son moves into his new home and takes his dog off my hands, I think we're off to Tassie for a break, maybe Sheffield next year.

Ey Up Millsie, This will be our 3rd trip home since 1973, last one was in 1995 We are going up to Scotland too! Booked a cottage on the West Coast. We will be watching the Tour de France but not sure from where? We have got a few other things planned but intend to spend many hours wandering around Sheffield. If you want to pm me your Hilton dates I'm sure we could find you. Hope you have a great time back home.

Ey Up Skippy, Pity you won't be back this year, we could have visited the ruins of the Cannon Hall and wept into our Whitbread together. Don't forget to visit the Sheffield Hotel when you're in Tassie (we're only about 20 minutes away) I know how much you love Shellharbour but if this is your first visit to Tassie be very careful. You might not wanna leave.

Hey Downsunder, watch out for a bloke with a shaved head on the west coast of Scotland. We are on a Trafalgar tour around the highlands from 18th - 25th June. Will pm you re known itinerary, still some blanks yet.

Don't worry about Skippy in Tassie, he 'll do as his wife tells him, but he will be a new man (probably start writing poetry) when he sees the place. Have you tried booking.com yet, some good deals around the place. The dollar is falling against the pound so get some while you can. I think the pound is rising because someone started a rumour that bullerboY was coming to live in Australia.

It would be good to meet up with bullerboY too whilst there.

Enjoy the trip preparation, which is half the fun.

Millsie

---------- Post added 25-02-2014 at 13:12 ----------

Nice one Skippy, you will love Tassie, so friendly. Good food too. If we have any spare cash left next Feb, we'll be off there too I hope. Take it easy, relax and enjoy. Don't want you back in hospital. At least you will see Sheffield Tasmania. Downsunder leaves the door unlocked down there, just walk in and make yourself at home. He has a sign inside that says 'eat all, sup all, pay nowt', and he'll be in the UK!

Take care

Millsie

I never thought it would happen but I'm seriously considering moving back to Sheffield. The USA has long passed its' sell by date. The people are like walking zombies dumbed down by the media and religion, it's pathetic to watch.

I lived in France for 3 yrs coming back was the worst thing I ever did

---------- Post added 26-02-2014 at 21:28 ----------

The most likely outcome seems to be another coalition, the makeup of which may reflect the growing support for UKIP. But Sheffield will survive as the city always has - we've seen worse times. As far as the economy is concerned, in the post-industrial age Sheffield people seem to have found plenty of employment in the public and service sectors. There were and are always scroungers (home-bred or imported from the EU) but Sheffield soldiers on.

And has always been run by red nutters

I never thought it would happen but I'm seriously considering moving back to Sheffield. The USA has long passed its' sell by date. The people are like walking zombies dumbed down by the media and religion, it's pathetic to watch.

But you dont have to move all the way down could come up to Canada where normal people are:D:D:D

Right on Flyer right on yes we are normal freezing our asses right now but that will go away I hope Brian

It two years next month since I made the decision to leave and have no regrets at all.

I still read and sometimes post on the forum...but move back? I don't think so!

Sheffield seems to be hitting the news recently for all the wrong reasons...the murder of the takeaway delivery driver being the latest.

Reading the forum is at times depressing reading.....

The page hall issue...(also hit the news today).

The ever increasing "what's happened" threads, only to read of another attack or mugging.

And...the seemingly endless bickering on some threads....often not at all to do with the thread topic.

It just confirms I made the correct decision.

Sheffield, and Sheffield folk just ain't the friendly place it once was.

I wonder if there are expats out there that would move back...and why?

I left in 1968 and there is no way i would return

I left in 1968, was there in 2008 for a reunion with guys i had not seen for 44 years what a good day it was. As for living there that is 100% NO. don't take it the wrong way just grown away from it my name is Dave Barraclough