Would you move back to Sheffield

It two years next month since I made the decision to leave and have no regrets at all.

I still read and sometimes post on the forum...but move back? I don't think so!

Sheffield seems to be hitting the news recently for all the wrong reasons...the murder of the takeaway delivery driver being the latest.

Reading the forum is at times depressing reading.....

The page hall issue...(also hit the news today).

The ever increasing "what's happened" threads, only to read of another attack or mugging.

And...the seemingly endless bickering on some threads....often not at all to do with the thread topic.

It just confirms I made the correct decision.

Sheffield, and Sheffield folk just ain't the friendly place it once was.

I wonder if there are expats out there that would move back...and why?

I left Handsworth in November 1977 and moved to Driffield in East Yorkshire. moved for much better job and prospects and worked out very well. The bonus being that both my daughters were born there and my wife was able to put them in her car most fine days of the year and spend the day on Bridlington beach (about 10 miles distance). Now at 48 and 44 they still say it was a very nice safe place to grow up. They live just outside the small town in lovely villages and so my grandchildren have also always enjoyed life there. Then in 2006 I moved my manufacturing business to Malaysia. Another good move. At 73, I still travel regularly to Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, China, Vietnam and the middle east plus Vancouver to visit my daughter from my second marriage. No fog, no pollution, hot summer all year round, low, low living costs and state of the art medical centres. Now thet all come here every year for 2 or 3 months vacation with only air fares to pay. When here they are able to take short low costs flights for a few days in places such as Vietnam, Thailand, Bali, Brunei etc.

Would I go back to Sheffield area - NO, if I had to go back to the UK, it would be to Driffield

Best Wishes - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

Left in 1976 when my job moved to Teesside. I now live in Guisborough with the North Yorks Moors National Park boundary 200 yards away & the North Sea 4 miles away. The quality of life is great - few traffic queues etc.

So I don't miss Sheffield although I do miss the people - friends & family. I also miss the Peak District for walking as that's where I spent so many happy years walking & camping.

Certainly don't wish I still lived at Page Hall!

I left Sheffield in 1988 only to Wickersley and it took me a while to settle here after living and working in Hillsboro for nigh on fifty years,looking at the way things have changed would i go back,a resounding NO not on your Nelly.

I left Sheffield for the fylde coast in 1975. I did miss it for quite a while but over the years I've made a lot of good friends in the small market town I live in and I think I would miss them and the town more if I returned. I'm still in touch with a couple of my Sheffield friends so am kept informed of city life. I dont think I'd like it now!!

No thanks, I love where I have lived here in Oz for the last 43 years, we live in the country and just a 10 minute drive to some of the best beaches in the world, the Sheffield I knew is not the one I remember anymore, which I found out when I returned for a few weeks in the early 90's.

http://s79.photobucket.com/user/skippy_63/media/Shellharbour.jpg.html

Edited by skippy

I left Handsworth in November 1977 and moved to Driffield in East Yorkshire. moved for much better job and prospects and worked out very well. The bonus being that both my daughters were born there and my wife was able to put them in her car most fine days of the year and spend the day on Bridlington beach (about 10 miles distance). Now at 48 and 44 they still say it was a very nice safe place to grow up. They live just outside the small town in lovely villages and so my grandchildren have also always enjoyed life there. Then in 2006 I moved my manufacturing business to Malaysia. Another good move. At 73, I still travel regularly to Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, China, Vietnam and the middle east plus Vancouver to visit my daughter from my second marriage. No fog, no pollution, hot summer all year round, low, low living costs and state of the art medical centres. Now thet all come here every year for 2 or 3 months vacation with only air fares to pay. When here they are able to take short low costs flights for a few days in places such as Vietnam, Thailand, Bali, Brunei etc.

Would I go back to Sheffield area - NO, if I had to go back to the UK, it would be to Driffield

Best Wishes - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

was it cheap labour why you moved in 2006 :huh:

was it cheap labour why you moved in 2006 :huh:

It probably was, the British priced themselves out of manufacturing industry years ago, I compliment the man on remaining loyal till 2006.

I returned to the city fairly recently after 25 years away. It has gone downhill in many ways. I suspect it has never really recovered from the loss of the steel and coal industries.

Edited by Hillpig

I was brought up in Sheffield and continue to live here for practical reasons, not through any sense of loyalty or misty eyed nostalgia. I moved away for a short while then came back during the 80's, again for practical reasons. Living near a beach or in the 'countryside', holds no fascination for me but I can appreciate that some folk love it so good for them.

I live in a relatively nice area on the outskirts and sure, there are places in Sheffield that I wouldn't want to live, as I am sure there are places anywhere in the world that I equally wouldn't. Home is where you make it and if it works for you, then thats all that matters. For me, its who I live with,that is the important bit.:)

Throughout my life I have lived in various parts of the country. I was born in Sheffield and at the age of 11 moved to live in Aldershot. Since then I have lived in London, Sheffield, Mexborough, Huddersfield, and Barnsley and for the last 27 years have lived in Birdwell ( between Sheffield & Barnsley ) this is the longest time I have lived anywhere. When I was younger I missed Sheffield and moved back twice but Sheffield isn't the same now as it was. You couldn't pay me to live there now.

We moved to Cyprus in 2001. In the nd, we came back to Sheffield in 2007. Best move we ever made. Like anywhere in the world, there is good and bad everywere. Fortunatley, its not as bad in Sheffield as it is in Cyprus were the Cypriots hate the Ex Pats

I was brought up in Sheffield and continue to live here for practical reasons, not through any sense of loyalty or misty eyed nostalgia. I moved away for a short while then came back during the 80's, again for practical reasons. Living near a beach or in the 'countryside', holds no fascination for me but I can appreciate that some folk love it so good for them.

I live in a relatively nice area on the outskirts and sure, there are places in Sheffield that I wouldn't want to live, as I am sure there are places anywhere in the world that I equally wouldn't. Home is where you make it and if it works for you, then thats all that matters. For me, its who I live with,that is the important bit.:)

So very true, me & wife live in Sheffield always have we'll never leave; too old now anyway, but I don't begrudge anyone that moves a way when young and makes a new life. I just don't like it when people come back on here saying what a dump Sheffield it, okay it has some rough areas go to Paris so has that.

It is bad that we've had murders but they sadly occur everywhere there are areas in Sheffield that aren't shall we say celubrious, where we are we like it.

When I was 10 my mum took us to live in London for a while (18 months) I hated every minute of it, and London is still a rat hole.

To some Sheffield may be a dump, but it's our dump.