Roma Pizzeria, Castle St

I went past today in the afternoon, appeared very quiet, seems like the moving of CM is affecting it

Surely it's just Christmas and the office workers who might spring £10 for lunch are using up their holiday or 'working' from home. Some people have said the location of this place is odd but with all the offices on Kelham Island, Castle Square and more being planned for the market site it might just be a very shrewd piece of business.

Called in today after recommendations on here, our party had lasagne, pepperoni pizza and I had Ravioli, we also ordered a garlic bread with tomato as a side, all were excellent the service was very good (although the quickly spoken Italian accented English was difficult to understand at times).

Would highly recommend the place despite its location in one of the less salubrious areas of Sheffield and I hope it prospers.

Give it a try you won't be disappointed!

Popped in for lunch today.

Very impressed. Friendly folks running it. Food was good and not too expensive.

Had a penne a la sarda (a tomato sauce with small pieces of lamb fillet), a margarita pizza and a piatto con carne which had a small steak , some roast potatoes , 2 tomato bruschetta and a mushroom risotto.

These were all very well cooked and , the owner / chef came over to apologise that the food would be 20 minutes as the risotto has to be cooked from scratch...an excellent sign.

Good & generous olives to start with some warm bread , a couple of good coffees and 3 soft drinks .

Plus tip total was £40.

Several tables with Italian folks chatting away which is another good sign.

Menu is changing next week...yet another good sign.

Well worth going despite the slightly run down area.

Popped in for lunch today.

Had a penne a la sarda (a tomato sauce with small pieces of lamb fillet), a margarita pizza and a piatto con carne which had a small steak , some roast potatoes , 2 tomato bruschetta and a mushroom risotto.

Good & generous olives to start with some warm bread , a couple of good coffees and 3 soft drinks .

Plus tip total was £40

Crikey, is this your normal lunchtime intake, just a snack, or what? :o

Seems strange to open a restaurant in a part of town that will be in rapid decline since the market has now closed. Especially as most of the people think that garlic bread is horrible foreign food.

It was never a desirable place anyway so cant see people walking through town to get there after a few drinks.

Hope they do well but its a massive gamble.

Edited by Clown Shoes

They close at 6 so aren't aiming for evening trade. There's lots of offices round there though (police, courts, probation, legal, social services) so hopefully they will attract some of those employees during the day.

Maybe if business slows down they could relocate down the Moor, am sure a quality independent restaurant would fit perfectly.

Under new management. Manager is a lovely chap.

The food is fantastic. Service is good. Prices very reasonable. portions good, Cake selection ace. Lovely to pop in for a coffee and a slice of cake of an afternoon.

They also currently have an offer of any pizza or pasta main course between 12 and 6 (I think) for just a fiver.

Under new management. Manager is a lovely chap.

The food is fantastic. Service is good. Prices very reasonable. portions good, Cake selection ace. Lovely to pop in for a coffee and a slice of cake of an afternoon.

They also currently have an offer of any pizza or pasta main course between 12 and 6 (I think) for just a fiver.

I think the offer actually for their entire opening hours, and they are open till 8 I believe.

Prices are better all round more competitive with other city centre Italians, food is still great same quality but the menu is a little more conventional.

I like Cafe Roma and we had some fantastic cakes there the other week. I've not eaten the other food since the management change.

But I would say that Cafe Piazza (opposite the Church Street exit of Orchard Square) also offers pretty competitively priced, good food and very nice service. They do a pizza / pasta for a £5 daytime offer too. I don't think there's much to choose between the two places, both of which are very good. We're lucky to have these two Italian's in city centre, as well as a few other decent independent eateries such as Eten. It's just a shame that the evening / night-time choice's aren't so good - though some of these have some evening opening.

Although I'll admit to a soft spot for Cafe Roma because it's where I took my partner for us first date.

I'll give this place a go but the location means it will most likely struggle, despite how good the food may be.

I don't know, its near the court so legal people may drop in a lunchtime

I don't know, its near the court so legal people may drop in a lunchtime

I think that was the original intention it used to close at 5 but they have rightly extended for tea time dining as well Manor Castle and Kelham Island are nearby and both have significant construction underway and there's even some office being converted into flats nearby in the Castlegate area.