Ship Inn Shalesmoor

News from Hawthorn Leisure (who now own the Ship Inn, they bought it from Greene King brewery) - the pub should reopen in May following a refurbishment

Really to sorry to hear this.

Jeanette went to my school, and was in the year below me, and she was indeed born in the pub.

I hope she and her family are ok.

'Progress' has a lot to answer for sometimes. We need to preserve some of the older pubs. It makes me feel quite old how pubs have changed since I first started going in them in the early eighties. It was still possible to see older folks sat down having a quiet drink in town centre pubs. Now it is mainly vertical drinking establishments in town.

'Progress' has a lot to answer for sometimes. We need to preserve some of the older pubs. It makes me feel quite old how pubs have changed since I first started going in them in the early eighties. It was still possible to see older folks sat down having a quiet drink in town centre pubs. Now it is mainly vertical drinking establishments in town.

None of the (busy) pubs near the Ship Inn are like that though - the pubs round kelham island are like traditional pubs - although with better beer

None of the (busy) pubs near the Ship Inn are like that though - the pubs round kelham island are like traditional pubs - although with better beer

There was nothing wrong with the beer in the Ship.

The only reason I didn't go in more often was the limited opening hours.

A shame to hear it's ceased trading but not a massive surprise. Enjoyed a few nights in there but it's dead and sadly there are too many good pubs nearby. It's a nice building so I actually think that doing something different could be good for it. Maybe being a bit more 'craft' or a bit more gastro would give it an interesting USP. When you've got the Fat Cat, the KIT and Shakespeare (three of the very best pubs in the area, if not the country) all within a few hundred yards then you're going to struggle if you just sell ale.

When Anita Pawson kept the Nags Head bang across the road she entered the Ships tap room one Saturday night and with great aplomb glanced around and pointed out half a dozen punters while stating "don't think that you lot are coming in our place at ten to eleven for after bird".

This put them firmly in their place as they would drink all night in the Ship then nip across to the Nags for the lock in.

They made sure that they kept on the right side of Anita after that.

When Anita Pawson kept the Nags Head bang across the road she entered the Ships tap room one Saturday night and with great aplomb glanced around and pointed out half a dozen punters while stating "don't think that you lot are coming in our place at ten to eleven for after bird".

This put them firmly in their place as they would drink all night in the Ship then nip across to the Nags for the lock in.

They made sure that they kept on the right side of Anita after that.

Never a problem when Pam Mellor kept the Nags a few years ago. The bigger the audience she had the better. :)

There was nothing wrong with the beer in the Ship.

The only reason I didn't go in more often was the limited opening hours.

Limited choice?

Limited choice?
Was a smaller range than pubs like Shakespeare's, KIT, Cat etc but what they did have was always well kept and there was usually something worth drinking.

Me and my mates used to go in once per month on a Friday night and loved the place. I think that its tired appearance was its charm if i am honest. Like the old pubs i remember when i was a lad, if you can remember that far back. I am so sorry for Steve and his family they always kept a good pint and always had 3 or 4 on the go and you did not mind paying 20p more for a pint that was guaranteed good. Lets hope that the new owners give Steve a call when they are looking for a new landlord. All the best Steve mate.

It had to happen sooner or later. Another Sheffield pub trapped in a time warp closes.

I hope it gets a sensitive and thoughtful refurb and becomes a better and more successful place. It's in a great location in a growing area, is handy for the tram, has a lovely frontage and there's plenty of room inside.

I just hope it remains a pub for the long term and doesn't become flats.

Trapped in a time warp?

OR

Unspoilt by progress?

What was the pub called that was more or less over the road from the Ship but got knocked down around 2004 to make way for the Ring Road?

Trapped in a time warp?

OR

Unspoilt by progress?

Pop over to Liverpool to see some of their (original) pub interiors. The Philharmonic Rooms being the prime example. That is unspoilt by progress.

For me The Ship was trapped in a 70s time warp.

The last decent interior to go in Sheffield was the Globe on Howard street. That was a belter!