Ship Inn Shalesmoor

Surely it'd do well to have a tidyup and upgrade the ales then join in better with the Kelham crawl.

It certainly would not. That lovely dated interior is a thing of wonder. I remember when more pubs were like that. The last thing we need is another identikit pub with shiny walls and big screens everywhere.

I was in there December and the ales were superb.

A 70s interior in a much older building is not my idea of a wonder :)

If you like interiors like that have day out in Donnie or Rotherham. You'll be in paradise!

A 70s interior in a much older building is not my idea of a wonder :)

If you like interiors like that have day out in Donnie or Rotherham. You'll be in paradise!

May I suggest the Plough in Donny is a good place to start, followed by the Masons.

It certainly would not. That lovely dated interior is a thing of wonder. I remember when more pubs were like that. The last thing we need is another identikit pub with shiny walls and big screens everywhere.

There aren`t many pubs with `shiny walls and big screens` in Kelham Island! Ship has got an interesting layout imo but it certainly would need to be smartened up. To get that right will be a challenge. And the range of ales would need to be expanded to get near the local competition.

It certainly added something different to the Kelham Island trail, I'd imagine they are after making it something more like the Riverside. The Kelham Island area is way to trendy for an identikit big screen telly pub, so they'll be looking to jump on that bandwagon rather than a two pints and the football pub.

Siril will be turning in his grave, sad news its going to change another part of sheffield's history gone

Very sad to find that the Ship has closed. A real, proper, unspoilt pub with a good jukebox. Visited nearly every week on a Fri or Sat for years, had some good friends in there. Always 4 real ales on tap at a reasonable price, place was always clean & run by a landlord who really understood beer. Folk of all ages using this pub. A shame!

does anyone know where the family that ran the pub have gone ?

The ship inn was a hole. Always has been. Happy if someone takes the lease and makes something good.

It had to happen sooner or later. Another Sheffield pub trapped in a time warp closes.

I hope it gets a sensitive and thoughtful refurb and becomes a better and more successful place. It's in a great location in a growing area, is handy for the tram, has a lovely frontage and there's plenty of room inside.

I just hope it remains a pub for the long term and doesn't become flats.

One of Sheffield's nicer looking pubs this one whatever happens hope it works well.

what ever you personally felt about the style of the interior, the exterior glazed tile effect is a work of art with some lovely history to it.