Ship Inn Shalesmoor

Got to agree. Last couple of times I've been round Kelham Islan the KIT has been woeful in it's choice of beer so was tempted to go give this place a try. Clearly I'm too late now, but if someone took it and offered something a little different I think it would stand a chance. But from what I hear would need some money spent on it?

Yeah. Inside it is / was very scruffy but with an interesting / unusual lay-out and just a couple of basic beers to sup. Could be really good.

Yeah. Inside it is / was very scruffy but with an interesting / unusual lay-out and just a couple of basic beers to sup. Could be really good.

It probably needs the might of a brewery behind it to spruce it up and use as a Tap. Maybe someone who is familiar with the area and frequents it regularly.

Just saying... ;c)

Disagree. Plenty of real ale fans head to the area to visit the pubs and I reckon some would bob over to Ship (and Welly) if they were a bit better.

quite - if another pub in the area were to sell a comparable or better range of beer, they'll quickly find themselves part of 'the circuit'. the Shakespeare wasn't on many people's agenda in its last incarnation, but is now firmly part of the Valley of Beer crawl as well as a destination in its own right

conversely, opening a pub in the middle of the circuit with 2 or 3 never changing beers is likely to be a quick lesson in competition and market forces!

IF the new owners can break it away from its brewery ties it will be a goldmine. The problem that it had in its last incarnation was that it was only catering to the exact same folks that have used it for decades. That's honourable but long-term those same people won't always be around.

I remember there was a bit of doom and gloom about the Shakey when the guy who turned it around lost the lease, but that turned out ok!

Something along the lines of "The Grove" would be nice (understatement).

Yeah, that would suffice [understatement]. :love:

IF the new owners can break it away from its brewery ties it will be a goldmine. The problem that it had in its last incarnation was that it was only catering to the exact same folks that have used it for decades. That's honourable but long-term those same people won't always be around.

I remember there was a bit of doom and gloom about the Shakey when the guy who turned it around lost the lease, but that turned out ok!

I'd never have my own pub again - it's too tying. But would happily run somewhere like the Grove as part of a co-operative. Couldn't fail to be a success in Sheffield... could it?

I'd never have my own pub again - it's too tying. But would happily run somewhere like the Grove as part of a co-operative. Couldn't fail to be a success in Sheffield... could it?

I`m in. I don`t have any money though but I could do the odd shift during school hols. No bar billiards though please.

I`m in. I don`t have any money though but I could do the odd shift during school hols. No bar billiards though please.

Would be interesting to see how much the place comes up for sale for... and whether it's freehold. Or likely to be bought by developers for demolition and some other use.

Have to say I thought the old Sportsman (that Kelham turned into the Tap and Tankard) wasn't bad for £220k. Tho not sure how much they spent on the refurb. Surely this place has got to be cheaper?

Classic ceramic work on the front.

I hope it doesn't get lost in any refurb'

I'll come and take it away if you want

We went out to Critch Tramway Museum. They bought a pub in Nottingham because it had full tiled front. It was taken down brick by brick and rebuilt at the museum.

If they took down the Ship they could shift it in wheel barrows to Kelham Island.

Just as an aside. Is it listed. If not why not put in an application to have it listed.

We went out to Critch Tramway Museum. They bought a pub in Nottingham because it had full tiled front. It was taken down brick by brick and rebuilt at the museum.

If they took down the Ship they could shift it in wheel barrows to Kelham Island.

Just as an aside. Is it listed. If not why not put in an application to have it listed.

Not sure why you'd want to shift it really. It's quite near the tram stop. Actually more accessible than much of Kelham Island. If I visit the area I either start off at the Shakey and finish at the Harlequin or the other way around. To me this would make a fabulous last pub before tram back - especially if it was like the Grove. If it was the first pub I probably wouldn't move on...

If it changes for the better it might force the Wellington to up its game.

I've been drinking there since Neil and Sheila took it over but now I'm getting beyond jaded with the place. Their homebrew is fine but there's only so many variations on a theme you can get.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to persuade my cronies to drink elsewhere, they still go 3-4 times a week.

If it changes for the better it might force the Wellington to up its game.

I've been drinking there since Neil and Sheila took it over but now I'm getting beyond jaded with the place. Their homebrew is fine but there's only so many variations on a theme you can get.

Unfortunately I haven't managed to persuade my cronies to drink elsewhere, they still go 3-4 times a week.

I used to like the 'Cask and Cutler' but it was taken over by a clique of large, hirsute, shouty gentlemen, most often seen in baggy pullovers. I am saddened to hear that they are all still in residence.