Ship Inn Shalesmoor

There are various ghost stories about The Ship. There is supposed to a resident ghost called Charlie, Roman soldiers are said to wander the cellars and there are also the ghosts of two men who drowned in secret tunnels under the pub during the great flood of 1864.

I know that it did store some bodies after the flood while they awaited identification.

Ghosts!? Well my pint of Moonshine there was headless! ;-/

Sadly it looks like the Ship Inn on Shalesmoor has ceased trading.

For the last week there have been signs on the pub indicating the premises have been vacated.

I’dlike to wish the former licensees Steve and Jeanette and their daughters all the best, it must have been incredible hard work running a pub for such little reward. I blame the brewery.

It was by all accounts the oldest family run pub in Sheffield, with Jeanette being born on the premises in the 60’s.

It’s funny what experiences mean the most to you - one of my fondest memories of recent years is playing pool in the Ship in winter while watching the snow fall outside.

Every pint was spot on. The music was good, the patrons were characters. We were always greeted with a cheery ‘We’re shut’ from barmaid Sue. The end of an era.

So, where now for me and the lads? What pub around Shalesmoor serves beyond 11pm, has a pool table and decent beer?

Greene King Brewery sold the pub to a pub company and it seems from rumour they wish to install a manager and make significant changes to the interior and atmosphere before reopening.

A great shame, a pub that was unspoilt by progress.

Greene King Brewery sold the pub to a pub company and it seems from rumour they wish to install a manager and make significant changes to the interior and atmosphere before reopening.

A great shame, a pub that was unspoilt by progress.

A phrase that brings due trepidation and dread. Maybe they could make it into a Mr Q's. Or given the local student demographic a Chinese theme pub.

Classic ceramic work on the front.

I hope it doesn't get lost in any refurb'

I'll come and take it away if you want

Surely it'd do well to have a tidyup and upgrade the ales then join in better with the Kelham crawl.

Is it a listed building? To be honest the exterior is better than the interior. It was/is decent enough inside but did make Fagans look modern & swanky.

A shame to hear it's ceased trading but not a massive surprise. Enjoyed a few nights in there but it's dead and sadly there are too many good pubs nearby. It's a nice building so I actually think that doing something different could be good for it. Maybe being a bit more 'craft' or a bit more gastro would give it an interesting USP. When you've got the Fat Cat, the KIT and Shakespeare (three of the very best pubs in the area, if not the country) all within a few hundred yards then you're going to struggle if you just sell ale.

What a shame, had many a pint in there and in the Nag's Head, which was directly across the road, over the years. Some real characters used to get in there. Yet another bit of the old Sheffield consigned to the memory bank.

One of our call offs on the walk from town to Hillsbrough in the 70s,table football a pint then onto the Lancers.

Went in a couple of times last year and it was busy with a good pint of Moonshine on the bar.

When you've got the Fat Cat, the KIT and Shakespeare (three of the very best pubs in the area, if not the country) all within a few hundred yards then you're going to struggle if you just sell ale.

Disagree. Plenty of real ale fans head to the area to visit the pubs and I reckon some would bob over to Ship (and Welly) if they were a bit better.

Disagree. Plenty of real ale fans head to the area to visit the pubs and I reckon some would bob over to Ship (and Welly) if they were a bit better.

Got to agree. Last couple of times I've been round Kelham Islan the KIT has been woeful in it's choice of beer so was tempted to go give this place a try. Clearly I'm too late now, but if someone took it and offered something a little different I think it would stand a chance. But from what I hear would need some money spent on it?