Ship Inn Shalesmoor

What is the Ship Inn on Shalesmoor like? What beer is served there ? Is it a real ale pub, free house etc. Is it loud. or quiet like the Fat cat? I like the atmosphere in the cat.

Last time I went in it was good old fashion pub with good ale(Moonshine ect).

Yeah, they usually have a few local ales on. Worth a look if on a Kelham crawl. Was very quiet last time I went in.

It's an old style pub. There aren't many of them left any more. It sells real ale but it's not full of cask beer enthusiasts droning on about it and ticking off half pints of obscure brews. It's still 1974 in there (which, if you remember it, you'll know is both good and bad).

It has comfy seats that have had the same upholstery for 40 years or more.

It has a juke box which has a few tunes you might like to hear and it sounds pretty good.

One day it will either close down altogether or it will be 'refurbished' or 'upgraded' so that all of this is lost.

A very fair assessment by Bilge.

It's an old style pub. There aren't many of them left any more. It sells real ale but it's not full of cask beer enthusiasts droning on about it and ticking off half pints of obscure brews. It's still 1974 in there (which, if you remember it, you'll know is both good and bad).

It has comfy seats that have had the same upholstery for 40 years or more.

It has a juke box which has a few tunes you might like to hear and it sounds pretty good.

One day it will either close down altogether or it will be 'refurbished' or 'upgraded' so that all of this is lost.

Sounds like my kind of pub :thumbsup:

It's a bit frayed at the edges but it's okay.

Any attempt to improve it would problem end in its ruination!

Not the trendiest pub in Sheffield, but full of character!

Isnt there a rumour that its very haunted in there ... I was in for a beer with my dog recently and he was very spooked by something - he hid between my legs :S

Isnt there a rumour that its very haunted in there ... I was in for a beer with my dog recently and he was very spooked by something - he hid between my legs :S

There are various ghost stories about The Ship. There is supposed to a resident ghost called Charlie, Roman soldiers are said to wander the cellars and there are also the ghosts of two men who drowned in secret tunnels under the pub during the great flood of 1864.

I know that it did store some bodies after the flood while they awaited identification.

Does it still have ships bell on bar, not been in for about 20+ yrs, need to have a visit there again soon