Ship Inn Shalesmoor

Forward thinking beer??? Please explain.

Maybe you should do a little research into the renaissance in brewing that largely started over the Pond with the reintroduction of quality tasty and aromatic hop varieties, like cascade, that revolutionised what people think of beer.

Of course, as I said before, there are some people for whom 'change is not good' and hold a candle to the watery, tasteless, mass produced crap that became the norm in this country. I'm guessing our friend the mild drinker is one of them.

Maybe you should do a little research into the renaissance in brewing that largely started over the Pond with the reintroduction of quality tasty and aromatic hop varieties, like cascade, that revolutionised what people think of beer.

Of course, as I said before, there are some people for whom 'change is not good' and hold a candle to the watery, tasteless, mass produced crap that became the norm in this country. I'm guessing our friend the mild drinker is one of them.

I do leave Sheffield occasionally. I recently enjoyed a Belgian Amber Tripel, served with a precision-engineered ice cube, at the Yard House Bar near Fenway Park. The barman's name was Colin.

Went in the other night and enjoyed it. I didn't fancy any of the handpulls so had Punk IPA which was fine. Background music was OK. Decor OK.

I don't like the charity shop armchairs which are (a) uncomfortable just like they were in the 1970s and (b) take up far too much room to seat just 4 people.

I don't like the buckets for lampshades idea (naff).

I'll go again though.

Still not been in though mate has and he said similar about lack of real choice but quite nice inside.

It`s sounding like Welly won`t be revamped / taken over for a while yet.

I went in on friday and must say the inside was a big improvement on the last time i visited as it smelled like someone had died the last time,

The choice of beers were poor for those who like a lighter beer as all darks on the handpulls and had to settle for overpriced craft instead.

at least the other real ale pubs in the area cater for all tastes so until this changes it will be a while before i visit again

I really like it good food good beer and very nice staff!

I don't think I'm being black and white about it at all. As you say, it's all a matter of taste. But there isn't anyone who could possibly argue that Nutty Black and Old Moor Porter is anything BUT behind the times! Of all the beers you mention I would only state that Gorlovka shows any form of forward thinking at all.

One thing we do agree on is the choice of beer in the Ship. I was almost tempted to boycott the place just for referring to itself as 'artisan' when, in truth, it was nothing of the sort (I can get a better choice of beer in my local). But like you I did like the place and it's certainly a better option before the tram home than the Welly. Which to be fair I wouldn't even call in if it was tanking it down and the only other option was to stand at the tram stop and get wet.

I'm preferring porters and stouts myself at the moment. If it's well made and tasty then so what if it's "behind the times".

Agree about the Ship though. It's OK but it's not going to tempt me away from my preferred Kelham Island drinking venue of Shakespeare's.

Having being in with my beer loving husband I would say the ship is aiming itself at a much wider market than just the 'real beer' drinkers, which the majority of kelham island aims itself at, a clever move in my opinion. There is a good selection of wines and regular offers on both cocktails and prosecco, which is something the other pubs in the area just don't offer.

Because of that it will probably also attract a lot of pre/post diners who are going to milestone and moghal rooms to eat too.

Having being in with my beer loving husband I would say the ship is aiming itself at a much wider market than just the 'real beer' drinkers, which the majority of kelham island aims itself at, a clever move in my opinion. There is a good selection of wines and regular offers on both cocktails and prosecco, which is something the other pubs in the area just don't offer.

Because of that it will probably also attract a lot of pre/post diners who are going to milestone and moghal rooms to eat too.

How did I not know about this! When did Mogul Room open at Kelham Island?

It replaced Brooklyn Steak House on Ball Street

It's lovely as well, just as good as the Sharrowvale Road one.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the "shipping container" bar opens on Shalesmoor.

http://publicaccess.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NRSQ63NYFY000

- 15/02720/FUL | Erection of a three and part four-storey building constructed from shipping containers to create a mixed use development comprising of Restaurants/cafes (Use Class A3), Drinking Establishments (Use Class A4) (including use of external spaces at ground floor and roof top level), Offices (Use Class B1), Assembly and Leisure (Use Class D2) | Land Adjoining 288 To 292 Shalesmoor Sheffield S4 8UL

I think this was due to be considered for approval this week but I haven't heard anything about it yet.