Ship Inn Shalesmoor

What was the pub called that was more or less over the road from the Ship but got knocked down around 2004 to make way for the Ring Road?

The Nag's Head.

What was the pub called that was more or less over the road from the Ship but got knocked down around 2004 to make way for the Ring Road?

The Nags Head already mentioned on this thread.

---------- Post added 08-04-2015 at 16:59 ----------

Pop over to Liverpool to see some of their (original) pub interiors. The Philharmonic Rooms being the prime example. That is unspoilt by progress.

For me The Ship was trapped in a 70s time warp.

The last decent interior to go in Sheffield was the Globe on Howard street. That was a belter!

The Norfolk on Dixon Lane is unspoilt by progress although you will no longer find any Market lads or customers as that thousand year old tradition as been destroyed by planners.

Nags head was brilliant decent landlord and lady some great Karaoke nights in there singing Angels , then across the road to the Ship to sing again , oh the memories :)

A shame to hear it's ceased trading but not a massive surprise. Enjoyed a few nights in there but it's dead and sadly there are too many good pubs nearby. It's a nice building so I actually think that doing something different could be good for it. Maybe being a bit more 'craft' or a bit more gastro would give it an interesting USP. When you've got the Fat Cat, the KIT and Shakespeare (three of the very best pubs in the area, if not the country) all within a few hundred yards then you're going to struggle if you just sell ale.

Not sure I follow your logic there. If three pubs doing the same thing can thrive then so can four if all the clientele want the same things. Case in point, The Brothers at Heeley has been really successful doing exactly the same things as The Sheaf View (probably THE best real ale pub in Sheffield). They now share the clientele between them and The White Lion is getting in on the act too with a better cask ale offering. Quite a "Real Ale Triangle" up there now.

Although in many ways a USP is vital the most important thing is to know what people want and to give it to them

While I like the beer in the Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern & Shakespeare I don't usually go in those pubs any more because they're often "rammed"

The Ship always did a good pint with 3 real ales on tap, but was different because I could always find a seat & relax even when it was busy - which it frequently was. Ace jukebox too & used to see the same people in there - a proper "regulars' pub". It was a real gem in my opinion - yes it could have done with a bit of freshening up inside but it was always clean & welcoming. Very handy for Supertram as well.

I heard that over the past couple of days that the interior has been ripped out and there is some other work going on. Anyone know the latest with whats happening?

I don't venture out a lot these days but love Kelham Island Tav and Fat Cat, this area is up and coming.

The Ship although I admire peoples opinions that it should be left as an old fashioned pub I think it should be updated and put in line with the other great pubs in the area..

The Kelham trail, sounds great who would have thought an industrial area like that would become trendy, its a fine place to drink and live.

Just for the older contributers I'm sure the Ship had a night club down stairs in the 50s and 60s called the I club, or was that the Shakey ?

It's been bought by a new pubco who bought it as part of 200 and odd from Greene King. Their business model is to lease it out under a new tied model...only problem is you're tied to Greene King for 3 years

I don't venture out a lot these days but love Kelham Island Tav and Fat Cat, this area is up and coming.

The Ship although I admire peoples opinions that it should be left as an old fashioned pub I think it should be updated and put in line with the other great pubs in the area..

The Kelham trail, sounds great who would have thought an industrial area like that would become trendy, its a fine place to drink and live.

Just for the older contributers I'm sure the Ship had a night club down stairs in the 50s and 60s called the I club, or was that the Shakey ?

The club was called the Club 60 and was further on West Bar towards Town [about 200 yards] The club did not have an alcohol licence so the customers would use the Ship and the Nags Head by nipping out for a pint or two.

The door man stamped your hand with the date so as you could get back in to the club.

The club was called the Club 60 and was further on West Bar towards Town [about 200 yards] The club did not have an alcohol licence so the customers would use the Ship and the Nags Head by nipping out for a pint or two.

The door man stamped your hand with the date so as you could get back in to the club.

It was only about 50 yards from the Ship in the cellars of the Acorn, one of Terry Thornton's enterprises I think.

The building is still there, it's a printing shop now.

It was only about 50 yards from the Ship in the cellars of the Acorn, one of Terry Thornton's enterprises I think.

The building is still there, it's a printing shop now.

Country yards.

I was a member along with Graham Slinn ,[slinney club turn].

I drove past today the doors were open and workmen doing something skip outside too.