Has anyone done a reflow on a laptop with a dodgy gpu?

I have a laptop with a known issue, the graphics chip needs a reflow. It's the nvidia GeForce chip, it has effected loads of models. Various things on line about sticking the board on the oven or blasting the chip with a heat gun. has anyone actually tried these fixes?

Cheers

:-)

I've done the oven trick on Jetdirect network cards for HP printers. Worked every time.

First time I forgot to remove a piece of plastic though and it melted!

If your laptop's motherboard has components on both sides, be very careful about trying to do a reflow in an oven. ;)

Has the laptop actually gone wrong or is it just that you expect it to in the future? If it has gone wrong and it's less that six years old you might want to consider trying to get it fixed/replaced under the SOGA.

I would highly discourage doing this with a Laptop mainboard.

I know of people who have managed it with discreet GFX cards and other add in PC cards, but never with a Laptop mainboard, they are far too complicated to break down the components far enough to not have some piece of plastic still attached that will melt and cause issues when attempting to rebuild the Lappy.

If it IS one of the affected models with the acknowledged issue then you are covered under the Sale of Goods act for 6 YEARS from purchase at the Retailer level.

This assumes you have not already opened it up, in which case you are S.O.O.L im afraid...

It's less than 6 years old and has not been messed with, it's been in a draw for over 3 years as it didn't work due to this issue! I shall start hassling people :-)

did reflow with flux and heat gun but only lasted 3 months and came back

known issue on hp and sony laptops due to none lead solder being used

This is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo xa2528. It has the Nvidia 8600m in it which has caused problems for a load of HP Pavilion machines as well as others. Not sure I will get far with Fujitsu trying to get it replaced but worth a try.

Did you buy it direct from Fujitsu? You should contact the retailer that sold it to you, SOGA applies to the seller not the manufacturer. Bad soldering is clearly a manufacturing defect, but you may need an engineer's report to prove it.

If it needs a reflow then it isn't the chip at fault, it's how it's soldered to the board.

A reflow is best done using professional equipment. A heat gun or maybe even an oven might work for some people, but it's at least as likely not to work & break other stuff. It's only worth a try if you're feeling lucky & don't mind possibly breaking it beyond all repair.

It's a fairly common fault since manufacturers were forced to use lead free solder. Maybe they've got it right now, but a few years ago lots of electronics that generate a bit of heat & are soldered to a board were failing for the same reason, ps3s, xboxes, graphics cards, laptops, all sorts.

Edited by anywebsite

I have done, and can-do Re-flows, I also have access to a BGA rework station if it needs redoing properly....

Their you go ghozer to the rescue Would go with bga all day long but whats the cost Also how much for phat xbox reflow? Pm me please for price details

Edited by barts96

refolwing is only a temporary solution, it WILL happen again.maybe a week,maybe 2 years but it will happen again, get an independent engineers report, then take it to the retailer you purchased from with proof of purchase and they have to offer you a replacement. i did this myself with staples with a 3 year old laptop, basically they will already know about the nvidia defect and should sort it out no problems