New to Homeschooling

Hello all, I am new to Home schooling my daughter is 5 1/2 in KS1 Year. I would like some ideas if you don't mind from other homeschooling families on your daily/weekly structures, do you study mon to fri every week? how do you keep it fun? & also if you meet up etc TIA Cassie :)

Hello all, I am new to Home schooling my daughter is 5 1/2 in KS1 Year. I would like some ideas if you don't mind from other homeschooling families on your daily/weekly structures, do you study mon to fri every week? how do you keep it fun? & also if you meet up etc TIA Cassie :)

Hi Cassie

We're quite new on our home educating journey, we have a girl who is 3.5 yo and a baby brother who is 5 months old. There is a thriving home educations network in Sheffield which I have found hugely helpful joining. I help to run one of the groups called Free Range. We meet every Thursday at St Oswalds Church on Abbeydale Road by Bannerdale Road. We meet at 10am for 2 hours of play, crafts, music and general chat and support. If you can come along to this group you'd find a huge network of other families and lots of ideas for support.

There are also lots of outdoor groups like Forest Fridays who meet on Friday mornings in Ecclesall Woods for forest play and fun. There is a meet at Highfields on Tuesday mornings. Hennypenny on sheffield forum is a font of all knowledge about home educating, it would be worth dropping her a message too.

In terms of study I know we are like many other home edders who don't follow any particular structure or curriculum when it comes to learning. I like to put some structure into my week so I know where I am from one day to the next. But there are others who follow more strict ideas about study at home. The great thing about it is if it stops being fun you can change onto the next thing.

What are your reasons for wanting to home school if its OK to ask?

I can recommend the chatter natter facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/homeedchatnat/

The home education group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/175267169244948/

and for a national view

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HEsupport4all/

Have fun!

Thank you for your reply. I have 3 children. Avril is 5 1/2, Zander is 3 and Ozzy 13 weeks on Tuesday.

Thank you for all that info :).

Chose to HE as my daughter is between schools, and was stuck travelling over 4 hours daily to old school, and been on waiting list for over a year at new school. Will have a look at those groups and try get along to the meet ups really soon

Cassie :)

We study from on weekday and have a rest on weekend. I think time is a guarantee of the learning quality. Some interesting teaching tools to help you, like online programs, cards, cute books. I use this site beestar. Questions are all very good and DD finds the questions interesting and challenging and enjoys solving them. I like the medals and trophies and honor roll that the child can aspire to acheive every week. Good luck!

Lisa

Hi I am making the big decision to HE my son (YR4). We live at Millhouses and would love to hook up with anyone who has chosen this route for this year group particularly. :)

All advice welcome and obviously his social side very important so keen to touch down on parents and children who have success with HE.

Thanks, S7 Mum x

Hi I am making the big decision to HE my son (YR4). We live at Millhouses and would love to hook up with anyone who has chosen this route for this year group particularly. :)

All advice welcome and obviously his social side very important so keen to touch down on parents and children who have success with HE.

Thanks, S7 Mum x

Have you found Home Education Chattner Natter on Facebook and SYHEC on yahoo groups? There are all the social listings, groups, organisations, clubs and otherwise listed there, it's a great community x

Will go see - many thanks.. and so the journey begins :) Sx

Will go see - many thanks.. and so the journey begins :) Sx

how very exciting! Maybe meet you soon x

Is there anyone homeschooling children with SEN? I'm looking to withdraw my older 2, 7 and 11?? They are both asd and although wanting to be HE, they are so worried they won't make any friends :( any advice?

Thanks

Is there anyone homeschooling children with SEN? I'm looking to withdraw my older 2, 7 and 11?? They are both asd and although wanting to be HE, they are so worried they won't make any friends :( any advice?

Thanks

Hi

I do know some families who home educate with children with SEN, if you wanted to come to a Free Range session you'd be able to meet some of them and get their take on it. If you find Home Education Chatter Natter on Facebook and request to join saying you heard of the group on Sheffield Forum you'll be able to ask about other families experiences in this area. Hope that helps

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 17:08 ----------

Thanks

Hi, I asked on Chatter Natter...did you join SYHEC recently? x