In need of a paddock/fenced off grassland for my greyhounds to run

Hey guys,

Weird one... I've adopted 2 ex racing greyhounds a few months back, but their prey drive is so strong that they can't be let off of the lead.

I have an ok sized garden which the love to run up and down, but in hindsight, it's too small for them. They get walked twice a day so not neglected with exercise, but I'm looking for a field that's fenced off or a paddock so I can let them off for a run a couple of time a week...

I'm willing to pay a small fee for my babies but I can't afford anything too expensive. It will literally be half an hour, twice a week.

Any help?

Thanks!

Rebecca xx

If you struggle to find anywhere try Graves park tennis courts. No one will be using them in the cold and they are all fenced in. Speak to the groundsman. Perhaps theyll help you out.

Good luck finding something suitable for your babies :)

Thank you! I'm trying to avoid, however, tarmacked areas as one of my dogs had a racing injury (hence the retirement) and has had an amputated toe so he gets corns and limps on hard ground.... But we do have a shoe for him which we can use.

I've been looking for the past two years for somewhere for my dogs to run off lead but sadly I haven't found anywhere.

There's a place at Stocksbridge called K9 Freerunning which is an enclosed field you can rent, but the prices are extortionate. Two dogs would be £6 for 15 minutes.

Oh my! That's mental!!! We'll if I find any where I'll be sure to let you know....

There's a grassed tennis court on Morley Street in HIllsborough which is totally secure. I think you may have to speak to the school as I believe it belongs to them but it would be ideal.

Good luck :)

Have you tried them with a buzz/vibrate collar on? One of our dogs used to chase rabbits and game birds and get totally 'in the zone' and ignore our recall. We were afraid she would end up running on the road and get run over. She would run quite a long way, so far away we couldn't see her when she was chasing something. We put one of those shock type collars on but you can set them to buzz/vibrate. The first time we used it she jumped straight up as though she was on springs! :hihi: The virbration was enough to break her concentration and take her mind off chasing whatever animal she had her eye on. We only had to use it a few times. She knew the collar would vibrate if she ignored the recall so wearing the collar was enough. After a short while we stopped putting it on her.

How high does the fencing need to be to be safe?