Spiers. A shop in Sheffield 1967

Does anybody know of a shop called Spiers that existed definitely in 1967.

It was situated at Sydra House, Lee Croft, Sheffield 1

Thanks,

Becks

I have an Italian leather handbag and a pair of leather gloves which belonged to my Nanan

The reciept is still in the bag for the bag and gloves. Nanan bought them in 1967 and on the reciept is the name of the lady that sold them to her, Rita.

I just thought this was interesting and it would be lovely to get in touch with the owners of the shop or the lady that sold them to her.

Thank you for your reply :)

Hi Becclescake - Spiers was a Leeds-based firm that had several shops in the area (here is a scan from a 1960s directory) and their local head office was in Lee Croft, in the building arrowed in this Google Earth photo. Unfortunately the firm went into voluntary liquidation in 1986..:(

On 26/10/2013 at 23:32, Becclescake said:

I have an Italian leather handbag and a pair of leather gloves which belonged to my Nanan

The reciept is still in the bag for the bag and gloves. Nanan bought them in 1967 and on the reciept is the name of the lady that sold them to her, Rita.

I just thought this was interesting and it would be lovely to get in touch with the owners of the shop or the lady that sold them to her.

Thank you for your reply :)

Hello Becclescake, 

I appreciate this post is over 7 years old, but I may hold the key to your request. My Mother, Rita Birchall worked for Spiers in Sheffield and absolutely loved her job. It could well have been her that sold your Nanan the bag and gloves. Mr. Spiers and his wife really looked after their staff and my Mum had some outstanding bags and gloves in her collection of clothes. My Mum passed away in 2018 but if you still have the receipt, I would really like to see it. Best wishes from Gary Birchall. 

On 27/10/2013 at 03:31, hillsbro said:

Hi Becclescake - Spiers was a Leeds-based firm that had several shops in the area (here is a scan from a 1960s directory) and their local head office was in Lee Croft, in the building arrowed in this Google Earth photo. Unfortunately the firm went into voluntary liquidation in 1986..:(

Can't see the Google Ear photo but was Spiers on the same side of High Street as the Old Blue Bell pub or across on the old Walshes side ?

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Can't see the Google Ear photo but was Spiers on the same side of High Street as the Old Blue Bell pub or across on the old Walshes side ?

Yes - "postimg.org" have removed the old photos.  The 1960s directory shows Spiers at 23 High Street - the same side as the Old Blue Bell (which was at No 31 where Cavells is now)..

Edited by hillsbro

I seem to remember going downstairs to Spiers display counters but I may be wrong. I bought my lovely little leather bag and gloves for our wedding, which coincidentally was 4/12/1965 so it’s our 55th Wedding Anniversary today.💝🍾

My mum worked at Spiers Handbags for years......Vender Stuart.....