Best dog groomers for CKSP?

Hi all,

Have only ever used a@m groomers at common side and have no complaints other than my dog always seemed to get shaved?

Maybe I don't understand what to ask for?

Where is the best place for cavaliers? She needs a haircut but I don't want shavers used on her and also want to keep her coat the same and feathers eye but needs shorter and tidier.

In s6, thanks in advance

Your dog will have been groomed using grooming clippers. The reason he looks shaved is because the groomer has used blades that cut the hair very short. The blades can be changed to allow a slightly longer length. You need to decide what length you want the hair to be and discuss it with the groomer. You say you like it short so is the problem that you can see lines in the hair that the clippers have left? If so, again you need to have a chat with the groomer as there may be ways of minimising this.

Maybe you should take a picture of how you want the dog to look. Also make a list of your preferences, starting at the dog's head and working towards the tail. This should be very helpful for her. All groomers will use clippers but with any luck Hardwick Hounds will see this post and be able to give you much better advice as she is an excellent and professional groomer.

hiya im a groomer and ask for a blade attachement which just takes the ends off and tidy up the feathers etc. She will understand what you mean.

Ideally, CKCS's should be hand stripped, which is the process of removing the dead hair by hand. Stripping Knives can be used on wiry coats (they will only cut the coat if the wrist is twisted when pulling) but the traditional finger and thumb method is better for silky coats, with the aid of coat kings.

Hand stripping will ensure a healthy life cycle of the coat leaving it shiny and natural. Repeated clipping of coats that should be hand stripped will alter the texture of the coat, interrupt the life cycle and make the coat thick and dull as a result. However, some dogs coats just aren't suitable for stripping which may be due to poor breeding, over clipping or even things like thyroid problems. There is more and more information becoming available about hand stripping and I have a page on my website in attempt to explain it :) Hand stripping may be what you are looking for.

If not, you can ask for a longer blade to be used, if the groomer has previously used a 7F ask her to try a 4F. The comb attachments will offer a slightly different finish and longer length options (these are guards that snap on the normal blades so be aware that the hair is still cut).

You can also just ask for a tidy up of the feet and feathers, no stripping or clipping. If you want to look into hand stripping yourself, this would be a good option for you because you can strip the coat and let your groomer look after the scissoring and the nail cutting and ear cleaning etc.

:thumbsup: Good information there. Would it be possible to get back to hand stripping when a Cavalier has been repeatedly clipped? I don't know this breed but I do know that with terriers that have been clipped it can be quite difficult, if not impossible to get back to hand stripping. I have done this myself but it wasn't easy and took quite a long time.

Mel77 - if you wish to consider hand stripping, you need to be aware that very few groomers do this and some who say they can, do not do it properly. The majority only use clippers and /or scissors. It is hard work and requires a degree of expertise. It is also more expensive because of the time involved. However, it is well worth the effort to see a lovely natural coat. As HHounds has said, some coats are not suitable for hand stripping. Her premises may be at some distance from you but it might be worth h travelling for an assessment.

Edited by ccit

Yes, ccit, it can be possible to bring the coat back to hand stripping but it may not also. It also takes a long time and is difficult to do, like with terrier coats. Personally, I don't think it is as beneficial to the silky coat to try and get it back to hand stripping as it is to the wiry coat - but I'm sure some CKC spaniel breeders/showers would disagree with me :)

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately the OP hasn't returned to her thread but hopefully she will have enough information now to take with her next time she goes to the groomer.

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately the OP hasn't returned to her thread but hopefully she will have enough information now to take with her next time she goes to the groomer.

I still want to know what a CKSP is!

I still want to know what a CKSP is!

I assume it's a Cavalier King Charles spaniel as she refers to it as a cavalier in her first post.

Yes It's a cavalier King Charles Spaniel, I think the OP meant to type CKCS in her title.