Sheffield Waterworks

Swallgirl, what's your Dads name. I worked at Yorkshire Water starting as an apprentice plumber in August 1974 and left in December 1982. The lads there were great and we used to have a right laugh.

My dad worked for Yorkshire water since the 60's until he retired in the 90s (or therabouts). He worked at Blackburn Meadows but knew people at Edmund Road. I worked at Charlotte Road, Yorkshire Water lab, from 83 until it moved to Rotherham. I left the Rotherham lab in 95.

Swallgirl, what's your Dads name. I worked at Yorkshire Water starting as an apprentice plumber in August 1974 and left in December 1982. The lads there were great and we used to have a right laugh.

my dads name was fred eastwood

Hi Swallgirl, your Dads name rings a bell, what was his job? I remember that the houses on Charlotte Road had Alan Baxter, Ron Mitchell, Harold Lawrence who were my gaffers and a work mate called Alan Crocker living there.

Its hard to believe that its nearly 31 years since I left, it was a dirty job covered in mud most of the time and in all weathers and we had a great bunch of lads there and I enjoyed most of my time there.

my mum and dad and family lived in charlotte road ,my husband and my brother both worked for yorkshire water i remember my dad talking about alan baxter ronnie mitchell my dad moved to swallownest depot where the co-op is now my husband lived in swallownest and was working at the depot .he used to dig trenches and come home covered in mud

hi swallgirl or should i say mrs J. twas good days when we were at swall depot, it was like a little family. still see the odd old face now 'n' then. your old man did a little more than dig trenches though! just passed the 'flying pig' on alexandra rd on my way back from taking some flowers to cemetary for mum!

remember water inspectors used to get on buses around Queens Rd with there turnkeys--suppose they have a van nowadays so you dont notice them about

Edited by wagginfinger
spelling

technically, in Edmund road depot it would be the turncocks who you'd see with turning key's for isolating water mains, the inspectors more or less just had a stop tap key/wooden sounding stick/tool bag to look for leaks/rewasher taps/ballvalves. out in Swallownest and I think other small depots the same lads did all jobs. all the lads using the buses used to get bus tokens, this also included plumbers etc.

i live opposite the old office on Division St. On the top it says 1867, so i assume it's the same age as Wednesday..

my dad worked on sheffield corporation waterworks for 40years he worked from edmund road depot .all the houses down charlotte road were occupied by water works workers the manager always lived in the top house next to the main entrance to the depot

My dad worked there too for many years

On 25/10/2013 at 21:56, Gordonb said:

Have a book called "City of Sheffield Water Supply" a brief history and description of the Waterworks Undertaking.

It was published in 1948 as a Diamond Jubilee Edition.

It has a section on the historical background from 1631 to 1887 the first date was when a guy called Barker created an artificial reservoir called Barkers Pool, and the last date was when the Corporation took over the Waterworks company (Founded in 1830) with effect from 2nd Jan 1888. If you need any more info shout.

Hi Gordon,

I was searching online for information on Sheffield Corporation Water Works and your post came up on the forum. 

I have recently bought the Filter House at Redmires and am trying to find out as much information as I can about the building and its former use. I found a wonderful photographic record of the entire construction of the building at the archives, which was a great find. 

I was wondering whether you might be willing to either let me have a look at your book, or possibly let me know if there's any information in there about the Filter House?  I understand that the book is very hard to come by! 
No problem if not - I just thought I'd ask as you seem to be a fellow enthusiast!

Best wishes

Joanna

@Gordonb i am desperate for any information about the old waterworks house on hurlfield road... its been my home for 15 years now, it says "hansworth waterworks 1887" on the front, although its not in hansworth, at least not now. my research hasnt got me very far. the house is actually called "the dam keepers house"

iv tried to look for the book you mentioned on line to see if the house is mentioned in there. but i cant find the book to buy.... 

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you x