Climbing works for kids

Hi,

Thinking of taking my lad ( 8 ) and perhaps my daughter ( 5 ) to climbing works (the mini one). Anyone have any recent experience of whether it is any good, advise, busy times, etc. It is suitable for my 5 year old girl?

The only climbing experiance my kids have are the walls in playgrounds.

Also, I see I need a 10 min induction to supervise them as I wouldn't be climbing, but would it be worth doing the adult induction anyway?.

You might as well climb if you're going to be there.

I'm not sure if 5 might not be too young, you'll have to judge for yourself. 8 sounds about right though.

It's a nice place, good range of routes and decent coffee.

5 is fine for the kids boulder , 8 is perfect for the main walls in the mini works.

Gets very busy on the week-end...not sure about in the week as I only go in the main works.

Its a whole lot of fun and gets very addictive.

Do the adult induction without the kids though as it takes 1.5 hours (unless its changed) and then my best suggestion is to get down on a weds night at 19:30 as they run free adults beginners courses over an 8 week cycle covering lots of different skills & techniques. The advantage here is you will be with lots of other beginners as the works can be a little intimidating when you first start.

http://www.climbingworks.com/the-works/courses/adults/

Stick with it - can be very hard when you first start (even though the experts make it look very simple) but a few months in and you will be hooked.

If you want to know more - feel free to PM me.

My eldest (6) goes there and loves it. Has lessons on a Monday night.

Deffo worth doing the induction and having a go as well.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of taking them early tomorrow morning and having a go/look. As for climbing myself, I'd love too but may have to lose a few stone first :)

People say that about lots of sports/activities, I'd do it but I have to do 'X' first. Do 'X' by doing the activity. There are easy routes to build up your strength on, and doing the activity is the first step in loosing weight if that's actually important to you.

People say that about lots of sports/activities, I'd do it but I have to do 'X' first. Do 'X' by doing the activity. There are easy routes to build up your strength on, and doing the activity is the first step in loosing weight if that's actually important to you.

I'm doing the walking to/from work thing first to shed some - then, if the kids are still interested, I'll see about some climbing..

Have taken my 3 year old a few times, and there have always been other kids his age there, as well as older ones. He has got the knack of bouldering scarily quickly!