Blue Badge Use/Rules

Or perhaps those people sitting in their cars arrived early for an appointment, for exactly the reason you're unhappy about.

If i have to go to the Hallamshire or Northern, i give myself 90 mins extra factoring in parking problems. If i get lucky and find a space straight away, i'd be sat in my car as well.

5 hours ago, Jason302 said:

Maybe next time youre sat occupying a disabled bay , please consider moving on  and parking elsewhere , you c an still use your passengers  blue parking badge . 

No, they can't drive off and use the badge elsewhere. The blue badge holder has to be in the car with them when they park.

If they use the badge when the owner is not present they can get a parking ticket and be prosecuted in court for fraudulent use of the badge, which carries a fine of up to £1000 and results in a criminal record.

That is a big grumble of mine, blue badge owners driving there spouses? to town "and elsewhere" park in a disabled parking space, let there spouses out to go shopping while, they sit in the car while there spouses come back after they have done there shopping. 

Yes i know this is against the law but, the law is not upheld in this situation.Grr Grr Grr

2 hours ago, kidley said:

That is a big grumble of mine, blue badge owners driving there spouses? to town "and elsewhere" park in a disabled parking space, let there spouses out to go shopping while, they sit in the car while there spouses come back after they have done there shopping. 

Yes i know this is against the law but, the law is not upheld in this situation.Grr Grr Grr

How is it against the law?

If the badge holder is in the car, they can park in a disabled space if they want to.

The law regarding use of blue badges is enforced and many drivers who abused blue badges have ended up in court and the blue badges have been withdrawn. 

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

If the badge holder is in the car, they can park in a disabled space if they want to.

The law regarding use of blue badges is enforced and many drivers who abused blue badges have ended up in court and the blue badges have been withdrawn. 

It's not against the law, you're absolutely right in that but maybe there should be a caveat to combat this utterly selfish abuse of the scheme. 

Maybe a maximum wait time for BBHs whilst driver/BBH remains in the car or all occupants must exit the vehicle before a BB can be used. 

9 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Are you saying that a blue badge owner can ferry an abled bodied person to the shops, park in a disabled parking bay and sit in the car, while, the abled bodied person has finished shopping and then take them home?

Would it be better if they got out and hobbled around with them?  Either way the car would still be in the disabled bay.

Clearly it would be better if they used a normal bay. 

Perhaps the criteria for blue badge ownership need to be re-examined?

1 hour ago, kidley said:

Are you saying that a blue badge owner can ferry an abled bodied person to the shops, park in a disabled parking bay and sit in the car, while, the abled bodied person has finished shopping and then take them home?

There is nothing to stop a badge holder doing that. 

24 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

No there isnt so long as there shopping for  the badge holder. 

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Is this guv.uk site incorrect then?

You should not allow people without a disability to take advantage of the benefits from your badge while you sit in the car.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/rights-and-responsibilities-blue-badge-holders

30 minutes ago, kidley said:

Is this guv.uk site incorrect then?

You should not allow people without a disability to take advantage of the benefits from your badge while you sit in the car.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/rights-and-responsibilities-blue-badge-holders

There's a difference in government guidance between what you "should" not do and what you "must" not do.

If they tell you that you "must" not do something, it's something you can be penalised or prosecuted for.

If they say you "should"not do it, its not the right thing to do, but you aren't likely to get prosecuted.

misuse of the blue badge is illegal

C&P 

My Bold

It is a criminal offence for you or anyone else to misuse a badge. You must never copy the badge, try to alter the details or continue to display the badge when you no longer need it.

Misusing a badge could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.