Blue Badge Use/Rules

I've just caught part of a programme on TV featuring the checking of cars parked showing blue badges. Two drivers were issued with cautions and had the badges removed because they had not been carrying the badge holder in their car.

A woman who was obviously someone who needed her badge said she rarely took her car into the town centre where she lived because she struggled to find accessible parking. She wondered if there are more genuine cases of need, but fraudulent use also seems to be on the increase.

The woman also suggested that people who selfishly misuse blue badges/disabled parking spaces don't realise how difficult they make life for people who really need them. I don't believe most of them care about anyone but themselves.

As local authorities issue these badges, perhaps they should employ people to check out that they are being used by the people who need them.

In case anyone thinks I have anything to gain, I don't have a blue badge, neither do any of my close family or friends. However, I do have an awareness of disability issues and think its pretty low that people who don't need easy access to facilities would deprive those who do.

Edited by nikki-red

the worlds a cruel place isnt it but maybe instead of having ago on people who maybe are maybe not misuseing the badge what about the people who just park up with no badge at all

They do check,I parked in town and whilst shopping received a telephone call asking me where my car was parked,I inquired about the call and was told its a random event based on the information given at the time of my application

My mother a blue badge holder lives at darnall and goes regular to wilkinsons. She says the disabled bay in front of the shop is always full with cars not displaying a badge. /She has seen the traffic wardens look at the cars and walk straight past / She told one once and they said its not worth the hassle they get in that area putting a ticket on in that area

My mother a blue badge holder lives at darnall and goes regular to wilkinsons. She says the disabled bay in front of the shop is always full with cars not displaying a badge. /She has seen the traffic wardens look at the cars and walk straight past / She told one once and they said its not worth the hassle they get in that area putting a ticket on in that area

Darnall isnt a particularly rough area. I think the traffic warden was pulling your mums leg or she must have misheard.

Darnall isnt a particularly rough area. I think the traffic warden was pulling your mums leg or she must have misheard.

Not as bad as firthpark and pagehall but not far off .Crowds of forgeniers outside book makers . I was in wilkinsons a a few weeks back a woman was caught shop lifting . Police were called to interview her. They asked her do you speak english. / She gave a smile and shook her head. / Police said to manager give her a warning let her go / Nothing they could do about it. / By the time they had got an interpeter and took her to court and issued a fine which she would not pay . A waste of time issuing fines down there in darnall. :hihi:

Not as bad as firthpark and pagehall but not far off .Crowds of forgeniers outside book makers . I was in wilkinsons a a few weeks back a woman was caught shop lifting . Police were called to interview her. They asked her do you speak english. / She gave a smile and shook her head. / Police said to manager give her a warning let her go / Nothing they could do about it. / By the time they had got an interpeter and took her to court and issued a fine which she would not pay . A waste of time issuing fines down there in darnall. :hihi:

I must remember to park down darnall from now on then.

Free parking! No tickets!!

:hihi:

I must remember to park down darnall from now on then.

Free parking! No tickets!!

:hihi:

Yes you could help yourself to a few freebies at wilkinsons as well just remember to boot poilish your face and cant speak english. / There are cars parked all over an double yellow lines and no tickets on them so no prob with parking. :hihi::hihi:/ If you see any police or traffic wardens just rant and rave. A crowd will soon develop and they will run off

Edited by spider1

I reckon if you take the blue badges off people who don't really need them you'd be solving half the problem.

Yeah yeah yeah, "the disability is not always obvious". Moot point really. The blue badge is there to help people with limited mobility get a space so they don't have to walk as far.

If someone is walking perfectly normally to and fro, sometimes with bags...by definition, they don't need to be very close to the building. I work in Meadowhall and see it all the time, lone occupants with blue badges heaving boxes and big bags into their 4X4s.

My old man has a blue badge and on our observations we reckon there are more people with blue badges that abuse them than those without who abuse the spaces.

Edited by Super Hans

As local authorities issue these badges, perhaps they should employ people to check out that they are being used by the people who need them.

At a time when councils have massive budget pressures it is the non-statutory stuff that is dropped. Councils will investigate if abuse is reported but will not proactively go looking for abuse because the DfT do not pay them to do that and it is not statutory.

So, what exactly were the traffic wardens doing in Darnall if they can't issue tickets? :confused:

Just had a look at Google maps, that disabled bay doesn't look right, they probably can't enforce it. I'm not sure if any disabled bays are legally enforceable, but I think most aren't.

Edited by anywebsite

At a time when councils have massive budget pressures it is the non-statutory stuff that is dropped. Councils will investigate if abuse is reported but will not proactively go looking for abuse because the DfT do not pay them to do that and it is not statutory.

Yes see what you mean . A traffic warden caught putting a ticket on a car in darnall would have to run for his life if got caught doing it. He would be the one causing trouble . Soon start a riot down there for some thing like that

---------- Post added 25-10-2013 at 14:18 ----------

So, what exactly were the traffic wardens doing in Darnall if they can't issue tickets? :confused:

Just had a look at Google maps, that disabled bay doesn't look right, they probably can't enforce it. I'm not sure if any disabled bays are legally enforceable, but I think most aren't.

Its on the main road so easily spotted by locals so traffic wardens dare not do it . They would probably get lynched if caught . I think that they and the police have been told not to be confrontational . Soon start a riot in that area

---------- Post added 25-10-2013 at 16:11 ----------

The reason traffic wardons are there is in case any english men park . They then issue a ticket and get a chear from the residents :hihi::hihi:

Edited by spider1
fixed quote tags