Blue Badge Use/Rules

I'm disabled and a blue badge holder. My disability isn't visible, I need but am unable to hold a walking stick as my brain fails to recognise the left hand side of my body. I look normal but a trip to a shop will mean significant pain, so much so that at times I have to use morphine. Nobody sees that. I've been challenged on a number of occasions. Remember, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Sorry Elphi, and I am sorry for you're health but you'll find that on here we disabled are prime targets for the snipers & people who call us fakers. I mean to look at me, people say "oh you look well" pity they cannot see inside my chest then they would see I have terminal heart failure and my care is palliative but oh no bash the disabled at any cost.

I cannot walk 30 feet without stopping and use a stick, but any distance I use my mobility scooter.

It makes my blood boil so much, that said I wish you all the best in the world.

Pete x

its like speeding fines, saying its a cash cow, well, dont speed you dont get caught and fined and they dont make the money.

in this case dont park dodgilly and he wont need to take the photo

Its nothing like a speeding fine, Mel.

Please don't forget too that the person parking the car may have dropped off the blue bage holder and had to find a space some way away . My hubby has a badge because he can't walk far without severe pain so if we are in town I have to drop him as near to where we need to be as I can .He has to sit on his stick seat while I then have to find a parking space and rush back to him as quickly as possible. Have had some accusing looks on occasion but never had anyone say anything . Good job as I would be too rushed trying to get back to my husband to try and explain .

some people just make it so much more of a struggle for their counterparts. We were at Meadowhall a few weeks ago and in the car park where Next is, driving out onto the little road that leads from the car park to the little road running alongside Next. This little micro stopped, right on the junction on a corner virtually to let it's passengers out and my husband had to just stop dead because he couldn't get past on OUR side of the road without probably hitting the door of the emerging passenger or the passenger themselves even eeeeek! There was a car behind the stopped one itching to get past and could have very easily pulled out to go round the stopped car and gone right into us. My husband told the driver and passenger (now stood on road) it was a stupid place to stop and her only response was "my partner is disabled". Barely 300m away there were at least half a dozen EMPTY disabled bays. When I encounter 'disabled' people with this kind of attitude I have very little sympathy for them and I think these blue badges need a massive re-evaluation of who actually needs them and who has the brain capacity to use them with a modicum of common sense.

some people just make it so much more of a struggle for their counterparts. We were at Meadowhall a few weeks ago and in the car park where Next is, driving out onto the little road that leads from the car park to the little road running alongside Next. This little micro stopped, right on the junction on a corner virtually to let it's passengers out and my husband had to just stop dead because he couldn't get past on OUR side of the road without probably hitting the door of the emerging passenger or the passenger themselves even eeeeek! There was a car behind the stopped one itching to get past and could have very easily pulled out to go round the stopped car and gone right into us. My husband told the driver and passenger (now stood on road) it was a stupid place to stop and her only response was "my partner is disabled". Barely 300m away there were at least half a dozen EMPTY disabled bays. When I encounter 'disabled' people with this kind of attitude I have very little sympathy for them and I think these blue badges need a massive re-evaluation of who actually needs them and who has the brain capacity to use them with a modicum of common sense.

I'm not saying that the person in this instance was right, because causing a hazard for other road users is clearly neither right nor sensible, but 300m is a really long way for many people with disabilities.

I'm not saying that the person in this instance was right, because causing a hazard for other road users is clearly neither right nor sensible, but 300m is a really long way for many people with disabilities.

yep it would be, understandable. I meant yards whoops lol

I'm disabled and a blue badge holder. My disability isn't visible, I need but am unable to hold a walking stick as my brain fails to recognise the left hand side of my body. I look normal but a trip to a shop will mean significant pain, so much so that at times I have to use morphine. Nobody sees that. I've been challenged on a number of occasions. Remember, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

No-one should be judging you or anyone else who is a blue badge holder. I understand that lots of people have mobility problems that aren't immediately obvious, but if they've been issued with a blue badge then there's obviously good reason for it. However, the point of the programme was to show how non-disabled people are misusing other people's blue badges - to avoid paying for parking.

Well i was in Rotherham today and actually saw Civil Enforcement Officers checking disabled badges around town with zeal.A guy who had parked a 4x4 halfway on the pavement and on double yellows got a well deserved present as well.So yes in Rotherham they appear to be doing their job..

Rotherham Council have prosecuted lots of people for fraud for misuse of Blue Badges - successful prosecutions too that also saw the people named in local press coverage

Rotherham Council have prosecuted lots of people for fraud for misuse of Blue Badges - successful prosecutions too that also saw the people named in local press coverage
I know i live there:)

I've got a blue badge, I can't be arsed to explain to the disable knockers on here why I've got one....

So there!!!!

I've got a blue badge, I can't be arsed to explain to the disable knockers on here why I've got one....

So there!!!!

This thread is so not knocking anyone who is disabled, exactly the opposite.

---------- Post added 27-10-2013 at 16:53 ----------

Well done Rotherham. I wonder if here in Sheffield the same happens?

Having took the mother in law to her routine appointment today at the hallamshire, im niggled about  how many people sit in disabled bays  waiting in the car while whoever theyre  with goes in for their appointment/visit etc

There was  chaos today as the car park was full and there were no disabled places for those who need them....not me by the way.  If those who sat in the car with the blue parking badge on display  would drive away and park on a back street   it would leave places to park for the disabled drivers who  have appointments who attend alone but cant get a space.

Maybe next time youre sat occupying a disabled bay , please consider moving on  and parking elsewhere , you c an still use your passengers  blue parking badge . Then you can just come back later on to pick your passenger up 

Edited by Guest