ALDI..why so manic with your shopping?

WOW !!! I have just been to Ecclesfield Aldi. I had read about all the problems with the speed of scanning, lack of room, lack of bags etc, but I thought I could be just as fast, and I prepared by having my money in one pocket, my bags in the other, and I thought I would simply put my shopping back in my basket, pay, and then repack out of the way.

The till operator was busy tutting at the family in front, and started scanning my items before they had finished packing. Then she say I still had my basket and demanded I give it to her. I said I was just trying to be helpful and was going to repack. She spoke to me like I was a shoplifter, I almost expected her calling security. She snatched my basket, from my hand, carried on scanning, and when I protested she snapped "that's the way it is". So why can someone with a trolley take it to the side, but not a basket ? NEVER AGAIN !!!

Rules is rules it would seem. I'm of the attitude that everywhere is likely to be even more frantic in the build up to Christmas, we will just have to smile sweetly and take it on the chin as there isn't much alternative, I did my shopping in Morrisons yesterday and ended up being overcharged on 2 items so there always seems to be be something!

Overcharged how?

I think the only times I've been overcharged at a supermarket it turns out I didn't read the price properly, and had actually been charged correctly.

Overcharged how?

I think the only times I've been overcharged at a supermarket it turns out I didn't read the price properly, and had actually been charged correctly.

It doesn't happen as often now but a few months ago there was always someone talking to a till operator waving a receipt,the till wasn't taking off the 30% if it was reduced.

Im getting pretty fed up of pensioner bashing on this forum. I'm in my 60s and have no trouble keeping up with the cashier at Aldi. I always have my card ready to pay and bag my food in carriers at the car. I hate the slowness and queues at other supermarkets. It may surprise some on here that you do not lose your faculties when you turn 59.:roll:
I'm 82, and my wife and I shop at Aldi's for almost everything. I find the cashiers quick, friendly and helpful. Once you get into the way of the place its easy. Butter cost us $1.80 a pound, $3.60 elsewhere, milk $2.20 a gallon, $4.00 other places. We walk out with a basketful for about $150.00 against $220.00. That's all I need to know. If it doesn't say Kelloggs on the cornflakes, or Campbell's on the soup, what the hell.:)

Im getting pretty fed up of pensioner bashing on this forum. I'm in my 60s and have no trouble keeping up with the cashier at Aldi. I always have my card ready to pay and bag my food in carriers at the car. I hate the slowness and queues at other supermarkets. It may surprise some on here that you do not lose your faculties when you turn 59.:roll:

I'm also over 60, and I don't find it difficult either. Once I realised how it worked, I just put everything in the trolley, then bag it at the counter that is provided for that specific purpose. I always have my card ready too, I find it strange that some people look surprised when they have to pay, and start fumbling for the money or card.

The new Aldi on Flora Street opens next week, I'll be popping in quite regularly I reckon. Aldi consistently does well in the comparison stakes too! http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/21/aldi-lidl-mince-pies-taste-test

I'm 82, and my wife and I shop at Aldi's for almost everything. I find the cashiers quick, friendly and helpful. Once you get into the way of the place its easy. Butter cost us $1.80 a pound, $3.60 elsewhere, milk $2.20 a gallon, $4.00 other places. We walk out with a basketful for about $150.00 against $220.00. That's all I need to know. If it doesn't say Kelloggs on the cornflakes, or Campbell's on the soup, what the hell.:)

Do Aldi charge by the dollar now :huh::suspect:

What is it about Aldi, good grief, you have to limber up to prepare to pack your stuff away at speed. I wonder if they make any allowance for someone who just might have a bit of a problem going that quick. I am sure it must put people off shopping there, it does me, I have to get myself psyched up for a visit, anyone else feel the same or am I just too slow!!

Its not hard , Walk in shop , fill trolley, go to checkout, fill trolley then move to the bagging area, and bag your stuff away from the checkout. DONT BAG UP AT THE CHECKOUT! That's NOT the way it works!!!!!!!

Do Aldi charge by the dollar now :huh::suspect:
I go to the Aldi in Enfrield, Connecticut. We have this strange tendency to use dollars here. Sorry if it offends you.:hihi: Are they still using pounds in Rotherham, or is it rupees?

I go to the Aldi in Enfrield, Connecticut. We have this strange tendency to use dollars here. Sorry if it offends you.:hihi: Are they still using pounds in Rotherham, or is it rupees?

We are a little behind the times here in Rotherham, we are still using animals as currency, it can be very awkward when you take a goat into Aldi and try to buy half a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread and 8 rashers of bacon with it, :huh:

Like somebody above said, the idea is to put everything back in the trolley then move over to the packing table. Fine if you have a trolley, but if you have a basket they won't let you take it past the till so have no choice but to pack at the till if you have a lot in it.

Don't complain it took an age of nagging to get them to provide baskets !

Edited by autumn
spelling

WOW !!! I have just been to Ecclesfield Aldi. I had read about all the problems with the speed of scanning, lack of room, lack of bags etc, but I thought I could be just as fast, and I prepared by having my money in one pocket, my bags in the other, and I thought I would simply put my shopping back in my basket, pay, and then repack out of the way.

The till operator was busy tutting at the family in front, and started scanning my items before they had finished packing. Then she say I still had my basket and demanded I give it to her. I said I was just trying to be helpful and was going to repack. She spoke to me like I was a shoplifter, I almost expected her calling security. She snatched my basket, from my hand, carried on scanning, and when I protested she snapped "that's the way it is". So why can someone with a trolley take it to the side, but not a basket ? NEVER AGAIN !!!

Sorry but you are in the wrong here. It says you have to leave your basket behind. Everyone else manages to pack at the till quickly. If you cant, then people get a cardboard box and just put their shopping on that and pack in the packing area.

This rules apply to everyone. It is signposted and I have seen it enforced many times. They probably get frustrated because whilst you are arguing with them then they could be serving other people.

The reason they do this is because people walk off with baskets. You can take a trolley because it has the deposit on so they get them back.

There are plenty of other shops within walking distance that people can use if you dont like Aldi. They must have easily the speediest till throughput. When it opened they didnt have baskets. You get used to it.

The staff are better paid, but you get the feeling they do work much harder. Most people who shop there know how it works and are happy to comply for the cheap prices on decent quality items. I've encountered a few grumpy staff but also plenty of smiley efficient ones as well. The happiest staff ive encountered are in Farm foods followed by Waitrose.