ALDI..why so manic with your shopping?

my late wife and i shopped at morrisons for many years,but i now shop by myself , and seeing how the major supermarkets prices have soared i tried shopping at aldi. one day i did my weekly shop at morrisons and was surprised how much some normal everyday items had gone up in price.

i went from morrisons to aldi and bought six items that i normally buy at morrisons and i saved over four pounds just on the six items,and the taste and quality was excellent. I now do most of my weekly shop at aldi and i am more than satisfied with the quality,and the savings arn't just pennies but pounds. The checkout is no problem,but easier if you use a trolly.

Wouldn't surprise me if that was true; those type of jobs or prone to strict and bullying supervision.

Wow, it sounds like one of Amazon's warehouses ! Hamsters on treadmills springs to mind !

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 18:55 ----------

I'm finding this all really interesting - especially the post about the small market town in the highlands which caused me a great deal of hilarity ! Good for them I say. OK well it strikes me that two things are happening here - we've got older people who may well not be able to keep up physically and younger people who just want the old "gits" out of the way so they can fly through. I'm old but very switched on and quick - the only time I've been rollocked was last night at the Flora Street branch for not laying my bottles down flat (despite the fact that I had firmly wedged glass bottles against other sturdy items of shopping so that there would not be any "wobble" as the belt moved). My reaction was that I smiled politely and said "OK" - life is too short to get in a strop over something so small as that.

I'm switched on enough to know that if all staff, despite personality differences, are launching items at speed that quickly then they must be under some managerial directive to do so, so, as a result, I don't blame them. I just make sure that I place the heavy items on the belt first so that my bread doesn't get squashed (etc) and let them (and me) pile it all in. I always have my card in a handy inside zip pocket away from thieves and I'm usually one of the quickest in the queue. I think this might be because I still work full-time and have to get a move on. I have noticed that the staff at Flora St are more pleasant than Ecclesfield - I wonder if there is an issue with the manager there ? ..... Something Aldi might like to follow up. It's not a shop I would visit if I didn't feel well though - and I DO feel under pressure but at those prices I'll put up with it.

---------- Post added 11-01-2014 at 19:08 ----------

Overcharged how?

I think the only times I've been overcharged at a supermarket it turns out I didn't read the price properly, and had actually been charged correctly.

I'm afraid my experience at Morrisons (Ecclesfield) is that sometimes the staff scan the same item twice whilst busy asking "how did you go on last night" etc to a colleague OR (and this has been more often the case) there is a ticket advertising an offer but the offer has not been programmed into the system.

A simple stroll to customer service always puts this right - customer service staff at Morrisons in Ecclesfield appear to be not only brighter than the average till person but also more "on the ball" in general.

We tried Aldi this weekend...horrible experience, and there was literally no vegetables left on the shelf, and the woman on the till was aggressive and insulting, will not be going again...

You don't go to Aldi or Lidl for service, simple as. If you want service, go to Waitrose or M&S, if you want something that resembles service go to one of the big four.

You don't go to Aldi or Lidl for service, simple as. If you want service, go to Waitrose or M&S, if you want something that resembles service go to one of the big four.

Exactly, I can't understand what people don't understand about this. One of the reasons products are cheap in Aldi is because the checkout staff are expected to work quickly thus needing fewer staff.

Sometimes I'll only see 1 or 2 staff in the whole shop, which is very limited for a shop the size of Aldi. Anyway, the two main rules for me are:

Don't pack your bags at the checkout

Don't fanny around like an OAP, have your payment ready - this isn't Morrisons.

As others have said, if people can't deal with that, fine...go somewhere else, pay a premium for wasting staff's time.

I'm usually One Step Ahead of 'em ....I add the cost of my items up whilst going round the store ...then , when they start scanning my items , I say 'cash' before they've even asked me 'Cash or Card' ...and I've got the correct money out before they've scanned the last item .. :)

Like it.:hihi:

Some accuse Aldi of being fast I call it efficient I find the staff fine and have saved around 20% per week on the Morrisons/Sainsburys shop I then move onto the Asda next door for a few branded food stuffs and stand waiting for the people on the checkout that seem to be in slow motion but do always say "Im sorry for your wait" followed by "are you able to pack yourself" :(

whatever happened to the customers shopping experience.?

Being banned is certainly an experience, and it happened whilst they were trying to shop, so result.

Exactly, I can't understand what people don't understand about this. One of the reasons products are cheap in Aldi is because the checkout staff are expected to work quickly thus needing fewer staff.

Sometimes I'll only see 1 or 2 staff in the whole shop, which is very limited for a shop the size of Aldi. Anyway, the two main rules for me are:

Don't pack your bags at the checkout

Don't fanny around like an OAP, have your payment ready - this isn't Morrisons.

As others have said, if people can't deal with that, fine...go somewhere else, pay a premium for wasting staff's time.

Such an understanding attitude for those who CANNOT go any faster. Thanks for that :|

Such an understanding attitude for those who CANNOT go any faster. Thanks for that :|

You don't seriously expect Aldi to change their business model because it doesn't suit some people do you?

You don't seriously expect Aldi to change their business model because it doesn't suit some people do you?

It would be nice if they could have some understanding that they would have a potential increase in business if they didn't exclude as many people as they do, but my post was not directed to Aldi, it was directed to Super Hans, who appears to espouse the view of 'why should anybody help those who can't help themselves?' which leaves every person who is not totally able bodied stranded unnecessarily.

It would be nice if they could have some understanding that they would have a potential increase in business if they didn't exclude as many people as they do, but my post was not directed to Aldi, it was directed to Super Hans, who appears to espouse the view of 'why should anybody help those who can't help themselves?' which leaves every person who is not totally able bodied stranded unnecessarily.

I do agree with you. I am a quite fit able bodied senior but understand that others may not be as nimble as (I think) I am. A bit of understanding wouldn't go amiss instead of branding all OAP's as a great inconvenience to all. One day, if they are lucky, they will get there as well.