Madeleine McCann investigation

There were hardly that far away from them and were regularly checked - I've run scout camps where six year olds are sleeping in tents further awauy from adults than that. Should I be charged with something?

If any had gone missing you might have been !

If any had gone missing you might have been !

On what grounds? What is so terribly wrong about it?

On what grounds? What is so terribly wrong about it?

Out of direct line of sight, in an unsecured premises?

If you're camping, you can see the tents of the children you're supervising I imagine. If not, I wouldn't send my child with you I'm afraid.

If you're camping, you can see the tents of the children you're supervising I imagine. If not, I wouldn't send my child with you I'm afraid.

Not always no. Difficult to see amongst the trees.

Like I said - what specifically is so terribly wrong about it?

Is Oblix allowed to sleep in his tent? Maybe a power nap in his guard tower when hes manning the searchlight :)

My hazy memories of cub camp recall lots of organised activities but I also recall just running around woods with my mates.

It's a matter of opinion, clearly. I disagree. I wouldn't want my child unsupervised in that way (let's also remember, MM was three, not six). If others don't mind, that's fair enough.

I'm sure that camping trips and other such residential activities are as tightly regulated by the Scouts' governing body as similar activities run by schools. Regulations, SOPs, and so on surely regulate and safeguard every aspect of the children's camping experience, especially when, at six, they're at so early a stage of their scouting adventures.

Barring any freak accidents, I can't see that there's much room for any scout leader to be at the helm of a residential trip where some aspect would be a potential cause for alarm for sensible parents.

Is Oblix allowed to sleep in his tent? Maybe a power nap in his guard tower when hes manning the searchlight :)

My hazy memories of cub camp recall lots of organised activities but I also recall just running around woods with my mates.

He is, but I'd argue he isn't allowed to be a distance away, completely out of sight, having, allegedly, significant amounts of alcohol, in an area where if there was something to happen, he wouldn't be able to hear screams/shouts.

Again, it's a matter of preference and personal choice. :thumbsup:

I'm sure that camping trips and other such residential activities are as tightly regulated by the Scouts' governing body as similar activities run by schools. Regulations, SOPs, and so on surely regulate and safeguard every aspect of the children's camping experience, especially when, at six, they're at so early a stage of their scouting adventures.

Barring any freak accidents, I can't see that there's much room for any scout leader to be at the helm of a residential trip where some aspect would be a potential cause for alarm for sensible parents.

The sensible parents dont tend to object much in those circumstances. The main worry is what if it rains or if their child misbehaves...

The sensible parents dont tend to object much in those circumstances. The main worry is what if it rains or if their child misbehaves...

Anything the parents forget to worry about is covered by those who compile the lists of check boxes you and your fellow scout leaders have to tick during the trips' planning stages, I'm sure.

I compile my own check lists :) It's all wonderfully anarchic and more laid back than you would expect.