Madeleine McCann investigation

...Again, it's a matter of preference and personal choice. :thumbsup:

For school trips, scout and guide trips, youth club trips and so on it's more a matter of the governing bodies' regulations, child welfare regulations, and meeting the insurance requirements.

---------- Post added 27-04-2017 at 13:58 ----------

I compile my own check lists :) It's all wonderfully anarchic and more laid back than you would expect.

Surely the Scouts have official, standardised regulations and requirements that govern residential trips, especially for the youngest children? Anarchic can't play well with the insurance and child welfare bods at head office.

Sadly, it's not only the kids we need to worry about on scout trips ! The few discrediting the many.

How can Maddie still be "lost". I imagine her photo has been publicised all over the globe. As she has the eye defect, the teardrop shaped retina she is a cert to be found, if alive. Another point, now she is 13 surely she would have spotted herself in the media, her eye makes her unique.

Angel1

There were hardly that far away from them and were regularly checked - I've run scout camps where six year olds are sleeping in tents further awauy from adults than that. Should I be charged with something?

If you look at the maps of the area, proximity of roads and other hazards then the Tapas families were clearly too relaxed about the safety of the kids. The McCanns were the unlucky ones, and could easily have been one of the other families we are talking about now.

The arrangements were inadequate for children 3 years old and below. Clear as day.

Yes there were ample grounds to charge any of them for neglect.

I totally went off the McCanns after reading an article many years about how wealthy they had become.

I think the perpetrators hoped that by now the heat would be off.

Instead it just as intense as ever.

One of them will crack one day.

They may even have convinced themselves that they are innocent.

But the truth will out.

Even then excuses will be made and the murderers will probably walk free.

For school trips, scout and guide trips, youth club trips and so on it's more a matter of the governing bodies' regulations, child welfare regulations, and meeting the insurance requirements.

---------- Post added 27-04-2017 at 13:58 ----------

Surely the Scouts have official, standardised regulations and requirements that govern residential trips, especially for the youngest children? Anarchic can't play well with the insurance and child welfare bods at head office.

It basically boils down to boys and girls need seperate changing areas, (but can sleep in the same tent) and you have to be able to run the camp appropriately. Some adults have indoors only permits - others can run a full expedition in another country in a field where you dig your own latrines and have to filter water from a river yourself.

Thats about it really. Theres no tick list except what you make yourself...

It basically boils down to boys and girls need seperate changing areas, (but can sleep in the same tent) and you have to be able to run the camp appropriately. Some adults have indoors only permits - others can run a full expedition in another country in a field where you dig your own latrines and have to filter water from a river yourself.

But you don't take 3 year old and one year old scouts into fairly densely packed urban zones where there are multiple entry/exit points (that within yards lead to roads) to sleeping areas that you can't surveil, and then sit a hundred yards away in the dark getting drunk.

Don't misunderstand I'm not a McCann basher but clearly all the families that night made a terrible mistake, and one family in particular has suffered immensely for it. I hope one day they find peace but I hope that millions of other families have learned from their mistake too.

A quick Google reveals that the Scout Association is admirably thorough about making available their 'residential experience' resources as downloadable pdf files. Some individual beaver colonies (great name!) have their own helpful online information about specific residential activities.

So, Andy1976, and any other parent concerned about including the very youngest members of the scouting world in overnight trips, can reassure themselves about the likelihood of any possible Lord of the Flies role playing... Be prepared, eh? ;)

I don't want to be one of those tin foil hat types, but when you find out that the McCann's just happen to be Freemasons it makes the whole thing seem really murky. :suspect:

I have to say that this pleases me. In a world that seems to have become overly sanitised and control taken away from the people who in some cases (not all) understand the risks involved better than others, that you are still allowed freedom. And I presume that with this freedom comes accountability? I.e. it's all on your head, so you will always take the appropriate risks and controls. Pretty much how it should be. People in control taking responsibility for their actions with appropriate levels of support from their organisation.

I'd happily send my little-un away under those circumstances if she's interested when she's older :thumbsup:

I have to say that this pleases me. In a world that seems to have become overly sanitised and control taken away from the people who in some cases (not all) understand the risks involved better than others, that you are still allowed freedom. And I presume that with this freedom comes accountability? I.e. it's all on your head, so you will always take the appropriate risks and controls. Pretty much how it should be. People in control taking responsibility for their actions with appropriate levels of support from their organisation.

I'd happily send my little-un away under those circumstances if she's interested when she's older :thumbsup:

Correct. It is incumbent upon the leader to Risk assess any activity and make adequate provisions to mitigate realistic risk.