Norton college to close

Arent they developing the site across from the current new City college?

Norton is way out.

The old North side.I think it is houses,but not sure if it is for students or residential.

But, not if you live in the south of the city!

Please supply sources for this assertion as this could affect the future paths of many hundreds.

You think purely on the back of this thread hundreds of people now wont consider Norton college to go to?!

You think purely on the back of this thread hundreds of people now wont consider Norton college to go to?!

TBF I thought the person was talking about the story being true. It will affect a lot of people including the staff and students who might have gone there. They will now have to go to another site.

Norton College is to close in July of 2015.Who do you think will buy the land?my bet would be a supermarket branch or would it be best used for new housing?

It will be a sad time for staff, it has been a fantastic centre to work at.:(

They need to either keep something local or reintroduce a sixth form for Meadowhead. I'm sure I read somewhere that Meadowhead was one of the largest senior schools in the City, surely from a "green" point of view its better for the city and pupils if they can walk to their studies and not add to congestion etc..

They need to either keep something local or reintroduce a sixth form for Meadowhead. I'm sure I read somewhere that Meadowhead was one of the largest senior schools in the City, surely from a "green" point of view its better for the city and pupils if they can walk to their studies and not add to congestion etc..

Meadowhead are due to build an extra sixth form centre that will be ready in 2014(?).

Im not sure if it is 2014, it may be 2015.

Meadowhead are due to build an extra sixth form centre that will be ready in 2014(?).

Im not sure if it is 2014, it may be 2015.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

Is this on the Meadowhead site?

I hope the leisure centre can remain open.

Of course(sic) the thread is not the decider its the confirmation by SC.

Many students are involved in courses that last for 2/3 years.

The disruption/change in facilities and staff might make a 2/3 year course at another school/college or Hallam more attractive.

When educational establishment close- some staff quite rightly leave as soon as they can.

Will the new facilities be ready in time for their second year?

Will the course run?

What are they going to do about parking at Hillsborough?

It is already saturated as I understand it was built on the basis of being a 'green' building and there is barely enough parking for existing staff, none for the students who park all over the place.

If they don't build some more parking room, that's going to put additional pressures on Morrisons etc.

My uncle works at norton college and this is first I've heard about this. Will have to ring my auntie and ask her. Hope that doesn't mean leisure centre is shutting as I use graves and I know they use some of rooms in college for group fitness classes.

This is a sad sight for me, I went to this college as a kid a few years ago. It was an old building but, you know...Oxbridge has old buildings. If the teaching is fine that's all that matters ultimately. I mean, I was there until 2010, and it never felt too old to study in to me.

Travel links were pretty terrible though. I walked from Newfield Green every day to get there.