Norton college to close

Ideal for IKEA

More like housing I'd have thought.

On the positive side - the press release I linked to says they are spending £15m developing their other sites, and that any students part way through a course will not be out of pocket through additional travel costs.

It's sad that Norton is closing but hopefully the £15m investment will ensure that the city's students have excellent facilities for years to come.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

Is this on the Meadowhead site?

I hope the leisure centre can remain open.

It will, the leisure centre is owned by SIV.A new pool is to be built at the back of the tennis centre,where the five a side pitches are and will become seperate premises to the college.

They need to either keep something local or reintroduce a sixth form for Meadowhead. I'm sure I read somewhere that Meadowhead was one of the largest senior schools in the City, surely from a "green" point of view its better for the city and pupils if they can walk to their studies and not add to congestion etc..

Meadowhead started a new Sixth form a 3-4 years back now in a weird coalition with Norton, the Sixth form will be expanding even further this summer when a new building will be built on the Meadowhead premises.

It will cause the other schools around to become even more crowded like it did when Abbeydale Grange closed!

This is a sad sight for me, I went to this college as a kid a few years ago. It was an old building but, you know...Oxbridge has old buildings. If the teaching is fine that's all that matters ultimately. I mean, I was there until 2010, and it never felt too old to study in to me.

Travel links were pretty terrible though. I walked from Newfield Green every day to get there.

79 goes from newfield green to norton college, was it running back in 2010?

---------- Post added 25-10-2013 at 23:38 ----------

Ideal for IKEA

Don't IKEA tend to build their shops near motorways though?

---------- Post added 25-10-2013 at 23:47 ----------

It will, the leisure centre is owned by SIV.A new pool is to be built at the back of the tennis centre,where the five a side pitches are and will become seperate premises to the college.

I know the staff there were telling me they were due to have a revamp including gym and a new pool to be completed by 2015. They didn't say where it would be built though. If they build it where the 5 a side pitches are, are they getting rid of them altogether.

---------- Post added 26-10-2013 at 11:25 ----------

Apparantly the courses are transferring to hillsborough but not all the staff are sure if they will be transferred yet.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-sheffield-college-keep-norton-college-open#share

They are planning to demolish Norton and instead move everything to hilsborough and sheffield centre, this then leaves the area without a college and means students have to travel much further,also like to point out how quiet this is being kept and how no one knows about it..

When are they planning to demolish it? Point taken about it leaving the area without a college but the buildings are long past their sell by date and without funding to rebuild the place it would probably fall apart at the seams before long...

Threads merged

Please search before creating a new thread.

Thank you.

also like to point out how quiet this is being kept and how no one knows about it..

it's on the front of the star today isn't it?

admittedly almost a week after it was first disclosed on here, but not bad for the star

[i know the staff there were telling me they were due to have a revamp including gym and a new pool to be completed by 2015. They didn't say where it would be built though. If they build it where the 5 a side pitches are, are they getting rid of them altogether.[color=Silver]

They don't use them anymore really.The land the existing pool is on now belongs to the college.

[/color]Apparantly the courses are transferring to hillsborough but not all the staff are sure if they will be transferred yet.

It wold have cost 40 million to re-build Norton at Norton.It will only cost 8.8 million to re-build Norton at Hillsborough.The staff have been told zero job loses,but lets see in 8-12 mths time :suspect:

The staff have been told zero job loses,but lets see in 8-12 mths time :suspect:

but presumably a number of voluntary redundancies - i know someone who used to work there who said quite a few were just biding their time