'Redrobbo' Cllr. John Robson has passed away

I don't come on here anymore, either. I've only returned to say how very sad I am to hear about John passing away.

Steve, loads of love to you, it's so nice to see you again, just wish it was different circumstances. Your dad will be missed. I have some amazing memories of those days.

I hope you're doing ok. Please pass on my love to John. I'm thinking about him.

RIP RedRobbo. I'll flash you one last time! ;)

I met John a couple of times at early Sheffield Forum meetups. We had recently started fostering, and he was full of helpful advice and amusing tales from his time as a social worker. A truly lovely man, so sad to hear that he's gone. I'm another one who rarely visits the forum nowadays, but I wouldn't miss the opportunity to pay my respects to him.

I'm another rare visitor brought back by this is terrible news. I met redrobbo many times at the old forum meets and he was one of the most genuinely lovely people you could ever hope to find; always ready with a smile and a quip even when he was suffering. We certainly had the odd argument over politics and for me one of the true measures of just how kind and generous in spirit he was is that we could disagree over fairly fundamental things and still be friends. He will be greatly missed and my deepest condolences to his friends, family and partner. R.I.P. Redrobbo.

And another rare visitor brought back to say that I remember Redrobbo from some of the early forum meets. We had some interesting conversations.

Very sad news

How sad.

Condolences to his family & friends and kudos to the guy for his many years of public service.

Never met him but had several discussions on here with him, we didn't always agree but he was always a gentleman, passionate in his beliefs and he had my respect.

I'll miss him

My condolences to his family

RIP

I don't use the forum anymore, and haven't done for some time, but I felt compelled to comment on this thread after I heard of John's passing.

John was a gentleman. I could wax lyrical all day about some of his qualities, but they'd probably not come as any surprise to those of you have met or had dealings with him. Suffice to say that the world will be a slightly sadder place without him.

I once read somewhere that someone is only truly gone when they are forgotten - and to live on in the hearts and minds of those left behind is to live forever. Well I'll never forget you, John! Or the sound, life-changing advice you gave to me, for which I shall always be grateful.

Stagey X

I was lucky enough to do some work for John in my time and met him several times. He really was a wonderful, warm, kind and caring man, and as others have said before, if more people were like him the world really would be a better place. I know he had a deep love for his partner who I really feel for now. Thank you John and thank you again, from me, from Arbourthorne and from Sheffield. Your contribution will long be remembered and by those too young too remember, some of the legacy enjoyed.

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember me, but for those that don’t I’m redrobbo’s son.

I have not posted or visited the forum for several years, and I don’t intend to post again, but after seeing this thread I had a couple of things I wanted to say and a request to make if I may please:

Firstly, it is genuinely heart-warming beyond words to read all these kind messages about my dad, to see how many people’s lives he touched and just how much he meant to them. Thank you. I always knew how great a man he was, I fear he never realised how much he was loved and by how many, but hopefully he’s reading this thread now so he can see for himself.

Secondly, for those wondering about how he died, I’m not going to go into details except to assure his friends that he wasn’t in pain, it was all over quite quickly, and his partner John was with him throughout. My deepest gratitude goes to John for that fact. Dad didn’t get much warning, but he knew he didn’t have long, so he made the most of the time he had left and he’s left a great many of us with an extra little top up of memories I’m sure we’ll all treasure. I also understand that Liz Donaghy who is mentioned in the newspaper article had spoken to my dad and told him he had been awarded the achievement certificate from the Labour party, I know learning that would have made him very, very happy and I’m so glad he knew about it before he went.

My request: if anyone out there happens to have any photos or videos of my dad that you think I and the rest of the family might like, however recent or old they may be, perhaps you could post something in this thread and I’ll PM you an email address you can contact me on. I’m not activating my account to receive PMs but I should be able to send them.

That’s all from me, but as I sign off here are some words from my dad: in his final moments, my dad said he wanted all his friends and family to know that he loved them all, very, very much. This means each and every one of you, I’m certain.

Thanks all,

Steve

thankyou for posting Steve, even though you have so much on your mind already

A sad loss to Sheffield. Never met in person but remember some splendid banter on here - A real gent and evidently very much respected.

I met John last year. He made an impact on our lives. He leaves behind a legacy for those who follow.