Showing a friend the best of sheffield?

Not entirely sure a trip to attercliffe will be much fun unless you want a dodgy takeaway and a rub down !

but perhaps do the 5 weir walk from canal basin towards meadowhall?

http://www.fiveweirs.co.uk/

If your friend is from a rural area - could be interesting for her to get a glimpse of Sheffield industrial areas?

If the weather is nice, it's very pleasant sat outside 1819 at Victoria Quays with a nice drink, then maybe go for a wander down by the canal - maybe not the prettiest, but part of Sheffield's historic past... and if she's a film fan, you can show her where the opening scene from Full Monty was shot :hihi:

And you could also take her down to Centertainment to see a movie, go ten pin bowling or have something nice to eat - and then go down to that odd little pub (is it Carbrook Hall?) that's supposed to be haunted... then of course Meadowhall for their shopping needs :)

There is a nice park that's pretty quiet not far from there (High Hazels Park) where you could have a pleasant stroll, or could also take them for a round of golf there... :hihi:

Not exactly Sheffield, but why not take her down one of the mines at Castleton?

Oh - and another little idea for you, why not give her a parting gift of a little hamper made up of some Sheffield/Yorkshire stuff, like liquorice all sorts, a bottle of Hendersons relish, a box of Yorkshire tea bags, some Sheffield beer?

We stayed with a friend "dahn South" and took her a similar hamper, and covered the box with a "Star"

Have a great time!

Not exactly Sheffield, but why not take her down one of the mines at Castleton?

Oh - and another little idea for you, why not give her a parting gift of a little hamper made up of some Sheffield/Yorkshire stuff, like liquorice all sorts, a bottle of Hendersons relish, a box of Yorkshire tea bags, some Sheffield beer?

We stayed with a friend "dahn South" and took her a similar hamper, and covered the box with a "Star"

Have a great time!

Brilliant idea! going to use that with a visitor I have next week. thanks.

This was my business idea but feel free to use it.

The Sheffield Feel good tour.(for visitors to the city)=

Get in your car (My plan was open top buses but the car will do for this trial)

Start at London Road, past Bramhall Lane, up to the Manor Top. Then go through the Manor. Down to Darnall stopping to browse the shops.Through Tinsley via Meadowhall and on to Page Hall stopping for souvenirs,up to and though Parson Cross. Check out Wednesday at Hillsborough Then continue on to Burngreave mingle with the locals on the green, then through the Wicker to the Castle Market area. This might be another good place to purchase more momentos. The tour ends here.I was going to charge a tenner for this.

Why the Sheffield Feel Good tour.

Because after doing it you feel good that you don't live here

Interesting that a lot of the suggestions involve leaving the city (and, indeed, the county!)

This was my business idea but feel free to use it.

The Sheffield Feel good tour.(for visitors to the city)=

Get in your car (My plan was open top buses but the car will do for this trial)

Start at London Road, past Bramhall Lane, up to the Manor Top. Then go through the Manor. Down to Darnall stopping to browse the shops.Through Tinsley via Meadowhall and on to Page Hall stopping for souvenirs,up to and though Parson Cross. Check out Wednesday at Hillsborough Then continue on to Burngreave mingle with the locals on the green, then through the Wicker to the Castle Market area. This might be another good place to purchase more momentos. The tour ends here.I was going to charge a tenner for this.

Why the Sheffield Feel Good tour.

Because after doing it you feel good that you don't live here

At last an insight into all that defines the essence of the city,although it should be stressed that the bus will not stop at Meadowhall.

At last an insight into all that defines the essence of the city,although it should be stressed that the bus will not stop at Meadowhall.

Could use the famous Tinsley viaduct instead.

I fear this bus is going to miss Attercliffe Road though. It'll have to go down Staniforth Road after the Darnall stop & it's worth another stop in Attercliffe before driving past another derelict stadium. I think the tour should continue on foot after Burngreave, could stop for tea on the Wicker.

This tour bus idea sounds good, I'd pay & I live here, will it be open top?

Edited by anywebsite

Once again thanks for the great ideas! The five weirs walk sounds like my cup of tea and I'll include the Full Monty scene as she's recently seen the film! The hamper idea is one I had a while ago, I sent her: The Full Monty on DVD, Arctic Monkeys first album, a bottle of 'endo's and a can of D&B (she's never heard of it!). I've also got a tea towel with Sheffield phrases on it, bought it from 'the famous sheffield shop' on eccy road which I LOVE and may pass on to her.

Once again thanks for the great ideas! The five weirs walk sounds like my cup of tea and I'll include the Full Monty scene as she's recently seen the film! The hamper idea is one I had a while ago, I sent her: The Full Monty on DVD, Arctic Monkeys first album, a bottle of 'endo's and a can of D&B (she's never heard of it!). I've also got a tea towel with Sheffield phrases on it, bought it from 'the famous sheffield shop' on eccy road which I LOVE and may pass on to her.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, or if it is indeed open at the time you're interested (it's shut Friday/Saturday), but the Kelham Island Museum site is very interesting and a blast of the past! (though it's even better when they have the Victorian Market there at the end of November/start of December)

http://www.simt.co.uk/kelham-island-museum/plan-your-visit

For the Full Monty, i'm sure there are sites that document each location used for filming, might be a couple you could fit in... :)

Edited by sheff71

visit meadowhall

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 17:55 ----------

if u fancy going to parks : peace gardens, peak district, endcliff park, norfolk park

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 17:55 ----------

if u like going for activities: ice sheffield, sheffield ski village, ponds forge

---------- Post added 23-10-2013 at 17:56 ----------

for movies and games fun including bowling: valley centertainment

I came home to visit my hometown and my family in August and brought one of my London friends and her 9 year old grandson with me. It was the first time either of them had ever been to Sheffield. They loved it! Being inner-city urbanites, they particularly loved the greenery and the open spaces. My home neighbourhood is Sheff 6, so we took them for an ice-cream at Our Cow Molly in Dungworth, a nice long drive round the beautiful countryside, stopped in Low Bradfield to potter around by the river and mooch around the local area, up to High Bradfield for a pub lunch at The Horns - we had a fab time. My friend also enjoyed getting a few Sheff goodies to take home - Henderson's Relish, local Sheffield honey, a couple of bottles of Bradfield Brewery's ales.

I also think that the suggestions to visit the more urban and historic parts of Sheffield are really good too - Kelham Island, the Peace Gardens, just walking around town at night, taking everything in, stopping for a beer here and there in a nice pub or grabbing a bite to eat.

In my 34 years of living in London, I've brought loads of friends up with me to visit Sheff, friends of all different economic backgrounds, ages, races etc. Every single one of them, without exception, had a fab time and wanted to visit again. This has to say summat good about Sheff, eh....for all it's faults?

A great walk is Hunters Bar > through all the parks to the Peak District boundary and great views of the dirty picture in the golden frame at the top > passed the Round House, pint in the Norfolk arms > Down Limb Valley > Whinfel Park at the bottom > over the hill to Whirlow Farm > cut through to Eccy Rd South and catch the bus back to Hunters Bar.