1902 tram ride movie though Sheffield

Hi,

what a great film. Looking at 50 sec we can see two lines branch off to the left and I thought it was at the bottom of the Moor and the lines went up Ecclesall Road but then Tram E turned left before the first left turn. Where do you think this is?

jiginc

It is the bottom of The Moor. At about 30 seconds a tram NE turns into Cemetery Road, then at 50 seconds tram E turns into Ecclesall Road and the tram being filmed from continues up The Moor.

Edited by Library

It is the bottom of The Moor. At about 30 seconds a tram NE turns into Cemetery Road, then at 50 seconds tram E turns into Ecclesall Road and the tram being filmed from continues up The Moor.

Thanks for that Library I did not realise that trams ever went up Cemetery Road hence my confusion. Must try and find a map from the early 1900's with the tram lines on it. The 1950's maps do not show lines going up Cemetery Road. Any one know when they were removed.

jiginc

Thanks for that Library I did not realise that trams ever went up Cemetery Road hence my confusion. Must try and find a map from the early 1900's with the tram lines on it. The 1950's maps do not show lines going up Cemetery Road. Any one know when they were removed.

jiginc

The tramway along Cemetery Road, Washington Road and Montgomery Road to Nether Edge closed in March 1934.

Edited by Library

Thanks again Library.

The more times I watch this film the more strange things I see.

Any idea about the street off to the left at 1:23 with A G Williams Cash Chemist on the corner?

It looks like points turn into it, only from the London Road end, but stop at the edge of the road must have been a very early closed line or maybe it never opened.

jiginc

Thanks again Library.

Any idea about the street off to the left at 1:23 with A G Williams Cash Chemist on the corner?

It looks like points turn into it, only from the London Road end, but stop at the edge of the road must have been a very early closed line or maybe it never opened.

jiginc

H G Williams (Harry Griffith Williams, chemist, 118 South Street,Moor), corner of Fitzwilliam Street,

as far as I know trams never ran on Fitzwilliam Street, but I'm no expert.

Thanks again Library.

jiginc

H G Williams (Harry Griffith Williams, chemist, 118 South Street,Moor), corner of Fitzwilliam Street,

as far as I know trams never ran on Fitzwilliam Street, but I'm no expert.

The tramlines into Fitzwilliam Street never got any further than what is seen on the film. It was installed when the tracks for the electric trams were laid in the late 19th/early 20th century, the intention being a line all the way along Fitzwilliam Street to Glossop Raod/West Street. There was another junction off South Street into Ellin Street which also never went anywhere.

The longest stretch of unfinished track was along Glossop Road from the bottom of Hounsfield Road. It was intended to lay tracks all the way to Broomhill along Glossop Road but they got no further than the junction with Wilkinson Street & Clarkson Street. A junction into Glossop Road at Broomhill was also installed but never used.

Edited by Library

..Any idea about the street off to the left at 1:23 with A G Williams Cash Chemist on the corner?...
Yes - Fitzwilliam Street. Hillsbro gives some more locations in post #49 on Page 2.:)

The tramlines into Fitzwilliam Street never got any further than what is seen on the film. It was installed when the tracks for the electric trams were laid in the late 19th/early 20th century, the intention being a line all the way along Fitzwilliam Street to Glossop Raod/West Street. There was another junction off South Street into Ellin Street which also never went anywhere.

The longest stretch of unfinished track was along Glossop Road from the bottom of Hounsfield Road. It was intended to lay tracks all the way to Broomhill along Glossop Road but they got no further than the junction with Wilkinson Street & Clarkson Street. A junction into Glossop Road at Broomhill was also installed but never used.

Thanks again library I had not realised that the tracks had to be changed when changing from horse to electric.

Must have been due to the weight and connectivity required.

This film shows again what we lost when in it's wisdom Sheffield scrapped the tram system. I can understand the maintenance costs and low cost of fuel was given as the reason but the new system is a mere shadow of the former installation.

jiginc

Hello all ,

In another guise i present a current affairs programme on Sheffield Live FM (Communities Live). I would like to do a piece about Sheffield's tram history on the programme as i think many people are not aware that our trams started in 1877, not the 1990's! If anyone wants to come on air and discuss then i would be pleased to hear from you.

Calvin, 07799 772110, calvinmarkpayne@inbox.com

Hello all ,

In another guise i present a current affairs programme on Sheffield Live FM (Communities Live). I would like to do a piece about Sheffield's tram history on the programme as i think many people are not aware that our trams started in 1877, not the 1990's! If anyone wants to come on air and discuss then i would be pleased to hear from you.

Calvin, 07799 772110, calvinmarkpayne@inbox.com

1873, not 1877. 6th October 1873, to be exact.

This video shows one of the last trams before they were phased out (goes past the new (old) Castle Market)

Also another video HERE

---------- Post added 27-12-2013 at 12:11 ----------

I couldn't get it either here in Florida, I'm going back home to Nether Edge. What a world we live in with all these stupid restrictions.

It won't allow me to view it in Canada.

Its now on youtube

. Edited by kidneystone