1902 tram ride movie though Sheffield

...Please try and do a then and now of the old court house that you see in the video at about 4.43
Yes - these are the three stills for which I thought it might be possible to do a modern view. In the first one, the building with the tall windows on the corner of Cross Burgess Street is still there, also parts of the Town Hall that are visible. In the second one the Yorkshire Bank building (the old main post office) is also still there, also Canada House, the former Gas Company building - though to take a photo in safety I might have to use my bus pass to make a 150-yard tram ride from Castle Square to Fitzalan Square.:P . The third photo of Waingate shows the side of the former Court House /Town Hall (such a pity that this building is sitll empty) and part of the old Whitbread brewery building. Anyway I'll see how I get on..:).. Edited by hillsbro

Ok, I'm no artist, but I couldn't resist wondering what one of the street scenes may have looked like with a splash of colour. Street scene.
Yes - well done! A coloured view makes the scene come to life.

Regarding the former St Paul's Gardens, I also think it a shame that the real origin of the name wasn't recorded on the stone when the gardens were given their official name of Peace Gardens in 1985. I remember at the time there was a lot of controversy in the local press, as older Sheffielders were fully aware of the link with Chamberlain and "peace in our time". It was particularly controversial as the council had supposedly subsidised the visit of the three Japanese to Sheffield.

Yes - these are the three stills for which I thought it might be possible to do a modern view. In the first one, the building with the tall windows on the corner of Cross Burgess Street is still there, also parts of the Town Hall that are visible. In the second one the Yorkshire Bank building (the old main post office) is also still there, also Canada House, the former Gas Company building - though to take a photo in safety I might have to use my bus pass to make a 150-yard tram ride from Castle Square to Fitzalan Square.:P . The third photo of Waingate shows the side of the former Court House /Town Hall (such a pity that this building is sitll empty) and part of the old Whitbread brewery building. Anyway I'll see how I get on..:)..

I look forward to seeing them. By the way, what are you using to capture the stills off the video

I look forward to seeing them. By the way, what are you using to capture the stills off the video
Well, not knowing any high-tech way of capturing the stills I just take a screenprint of each one. Then using Photoshop I start a new file and paste (CTRL + V) the screenprint into this, saving the file as a JPEG.

Well, not knowing any high-tech way of capturing the stills I just take a screenprint of each one. Then using Photoshop I start a new file and paste (CTRL + V) the screenprint into this, saving the file as a JPEG.

Great stuff, thanks. I haven't got Photoshop any more (after I put a new hard drive in the computer then tried using Photoshop it kept telling me my scratch disks were full:huh:). Any way I downloaded Paint.Net which is free and it works a treat. Look forward to seeing your pictures :thumbsup:

The Yorkshire Film Archive has some good films on it as well.

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/

I had a look at this site, and there is an interesting film on the Sheffield Peace March 1936. While there is a lot of text, there is also a fair bit of Sheffield scenery which is very interesting.

I had a look at this site, and there is an interesting film on the Sheffield Peace March 1936. While there is a lot of text, there is also a fair bit of Sheffield scenery which is very interesting.

Interesting footage Minimo. The City Hall and not the Town Hall seems to be where the march commences. I recognize Cambridge Street as they pass the impressive premises of P W Lacey, Footwear Ltd. (Where Cole Bros new store was built.) I often wonder what that building was originally. Subsequently I think the company moved to Newton House on the corner of Furnival St and Union St.

My father worked for John Needham (Tyres) for many years a little higher up Cambridge Street.

Many of the other shots as they pass streets of terraced houses are difficult to recognize, although others on the forum may be able to help. Endcliffe Park fortunately is named. That saved some delving because there are so many parks in Sheffield! I'm not sure if the band stand still exists.

echo.

...The third photo of Waingate shows the side of the former Court House /Town Hall (such a pity that this building is sitll empty) and part of the old Whitbread brewery building. Anyway I'll see how I get on..:)..

Theres photos of this inside of this building here...

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/other-sites/75123-sheffield-court-rooms-holding-cells-oct-2012-a.html

Hi,

what a great film. Looking at 50 sec we can see two lines branch off to the left and I thought it was at the bottom of the Moor and the lines went up Ecclesall Road but then Tram E turned left before the first left turn. Where do you think this is?

jiginc