Shoot the owner not the dog!

big powerful dog with extremely high prey drive?

Big and powerful? Yes.

Extremely high prey drive? No, in fact much less than a small snappy terrier.

Big and powerful? Yes.

Extremely high prey drive? No, in fact much less than a small snappy terrier.

a small snappy terrier is unlikely to do much damage to anything before its owner intervenes. a big powerful dog like an akita could not be stopped by the majority of dog owners. prey drive surely varies within the breed so maybe i am mistaken.

if you wanted a dog that would tear a burglar to pieces or fight other dogs in a barnsley industrial estate would you choose:

A: an akita

B: a small snappy terrier

?

a small snappy terrier is unlikely to do much damage to anything before its owner intervenes. a big powerful dog like an akita could not be stopped by the majority of dog owners. prey drive surely varies within the breed so maybe i am mistaken.

if you wanted a dog that would tear a burglar to pieces or fight other dogs in a barnsley industrial estate would you choose:

?

Small snappy terrier. Less feeding!

Guard Dog with megaphone

also no amount of socializing or training will stop a dog biting another dog if it gets injured/snapped at itself during play. one snap from an akita will do serious damage to a yorkshire terrier. for that reason i wouldn't let one play unmuzzled with a small dog off a lead

?

I wouldnt choose as im not a barbarian and would never have a dog for either reason you suggested.

I wouldnt choose as im not a barbarian and would never have a dog for either reason you suggested.

not a barbarian and therefore incapable of considering hypothetical situations i proposed to make a point?

certain breeds have reputations for aggression. akita is one. dogo argentino are another. labradors are not. depends what they were initially bred and used for.

what were akitas bred for?

however, the bigger and more powerful a dog is the more physically dangerous it is. trained or not. it's simple logic.

Then tell me why Paul would you want to breed these 'animals' is they are 'born to attack' ? From birth if your dog is kept permanently on a lead then how is it meant to learn to socialize properly? Yes there are times and places when dogs need to be put on leads but they need proper exercise too. They need to let off steam like us. You as a dog breeder should understand that surely?

So according to you my 'well behaved dog' after 13 years has the natural desire to attack other dogs because he's off the lead. Funnily enough all the well behaved dogs I encounter off the lead don't attack my dog. They usually have a sniff and trot on.

Occasionally I meet owners who have dogs on leads who see any form of interaction with my dog as an offence of the highest proportion. Little do they realise they are making the problem worse for their little poodle. The amount of times ive seen their little dogs growling disappear when both dogs are off the lead and playing is amazing. Obviously if it's a big dog like a Jap Akita then yes common sense would prevail. The lead wins then.

But all in all Paul it's all about common sense and training. Well socialized trained dogs won't cause a problem.

The problem is Event H is that you can never be sure.

My dogs get walked every day in the park and the garden they don't have leads on in the latter but out in public they do.

Theres a number of reasons why dogs should be on leads but like I said it a personal opinion and each to there own, some disagree with mine and I disagree with theres.

I have seen dogs get ripped to shreds on my door step by unleashed dogs, people attacked now I know not all dogs are a major threat.

Theres little more I can say on this subject because its a personal view that hopefully is in a majority

The problem is Event H is that you can never be sure.

My dogs get walked every day in the park and the garden they don't have leads on in the latter but out in public they do.

Theres a number of reasons why dogs should be on leads but like I said it a personal opinion and each to there own, some disagree with mine and I disagree with theres.

I have seen dogs get ripped to shreds on my door step by unleashed dogs, people attacked now I know not all dogs are a major threat.

Theres little more I can say on this subject because its a personal view that hopefully is in a majority

I've never seen unleashed dogs rip others to pieces or people attacked. But I do live in a more rural area. Maybe if you explained yourself better on this subject then people might understand your views. However ill still say your views are too extreme. Some dogs need to be on the lead that's all.

?

Yeh but that's Barnsley where the milk floats have rear gunners and the bin lorries get robbed

I am acutely conscious of having begun this thread, which has developed into avenues I would never have dreamed existed.

There are many lovely dogs, and equally lovely dog owners.

My daughter isn't frightened of dogs: she actually would like a puppy!

I suppose that all I would say is, no 6 year old child is a danger to a dog (unless we're watching The Omen) ; but it doesn't necessarily work the other way....

not a barbarian and therefore incapable of considering hypothetical situations i proposed to make a point?

certain breeds have reputations for aggression. akita is one. dogo argentino are another. labradors are not. depends what they were initially bred and used for.

what were akitas bred for?

however, the bigger and more powerful a dog is the more physically dangerous it is. trained or not. it's simple logic.

I disagree with this. Certain dogs within a breed are or can be aggressive, it's not necessarily a breed trait and, it's not the case with Akitas in general.

I've always liked german shepherds and have owned one pure bred and two crosses. The shepherd is highly intelligent and responds to ttraining well more often than not so as long as I know their recall is spot on then I don't mind them running free. If I saw a strange dog off lead then my idea is always to call my animal back and either keep him at heel or stay close.

However a few years ago I got the chance to look after a male akita and as i knew little about the breed i rang round a few breeders and akita rescue places, the one bit of info they all gave me was keep him on the lead and I soon figured out why. Highly intelligent, very, very strong and incredibly stubborn at doing what they wanted . i used to exercise him in a tennis court and you could practically hear him telling me to sod off and I'll come back when I'm good and ready. he never got the chance to attack another dog but he was very keem on demonstrating that he considered himself to be the top dog and he'd stand stock still staring at any other male dog he saw.

The problem with some owners is that they have done little or no research into the breed they have got and so don't know what to be watching out for