Moving to Sheffield Shortly.

Thanks very much for your replies . So much to think about. Before getting the news about my partner working we were considering Dronfield but the journey by public transport to Rotherham looks ackward. Will be looking at Anston as an alternative.

My family lives on mill lane, and just under rail way bridge, the house on right was built by my family,

It has snowed and busses have been cancled, but if your talking snowed in, 76/78 there was no transprt until you got past the slip roads to m1 off a57 ( i know this personally as i walked it to get to work )

but busses have stopped afew times because of the weather in Anston.

and the bus service is bad even when it is running normally

That would be before I was born, but after my parents moved to N Anston.

In more recent memory though, not >30+ years ago, the snow has only been a problem for the few weeks when it's been a problem for everyone (when the entire country pretty much shut down).

I used the bus service as a teen for years, I still have friends who use it for Friday/Saturday evenings in town. There's nothing bad about the service, it's reliable, if not quick.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use the bus to commute, I'd drive to Nunnery Square for the tram, or drive and park at Kiveton Park for the train.

The house on the right? The plot/existing house that is up for sale? (Right depends on which way you are travelling).

Edited by Cyclone

That would be before I was born, but after my parents moved to N Anston.

In more recent memory though, not >30+ years ago, the snow has only been a problem for the few weeks when it's been a problem for everyone (when the entire country pretty much shut down).

I used the bus service as a teen for years, I still have friends who use it for Friday/Saturday evenings in town. There's nothing bad about the service, it's reliable, if not quick.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use the bus to commute, I'd drive to Nunnery Square for the tram, or drive and park at Kiveton Park for the train.

The house on the right? The plot/existing house that is up for sale? (Right depends on which way you are travelling).

the house on the front is what Wilf built, Brook mews and the 3 houses behind was his land,

had some fun times there with the home made go cart thing, was bloody fast, his kids used to drive it in field at back ( now those 3 houses )

just been looking at google map, its changed abit since i was last up there

The plot is up for sale, has been for quite some time. Silly asking price though and not prepared to split it apparently.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your advice. Coming up on Friday to look at some properties in the following area:

Dinnington, Maltby, Brinsworth, North Anston, Barmley, Thorpe Hesley and Wickersley.

Hopefully will find something we like in these areas with easy access by bus or train to Rotherham and by car to Sheffield. Have been unable to find anything in Laughton area.

Will let you know how we get on.

Kofi

The best idea is come and stay for the weekend and then drive around to get your bearings. Quite easy to move to a city centre appartment initially and then move out 6-12 months later. Some bits of sharrow are nice especially with all the new building. Dp upi wmat a house, garden or an appartment?

Drive round Sheffield! He will be traumatised for life. Probably won't be able to get out of the city centre once you are stuck in our fantastic one way system. :hihi:

For a place to live stick to the south and west! You are welcome to join us in Darnall. But I for your sake..stay away. :gag:

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your advice. Coming up on Friday to look at some properties in the following area:

Dinnington, Maltby, Brinsworth, North Anston, Barmley, Thorpe Hesley and Wickersley.

Hopefully will find something we like in these areas with easy access by bus or train to Rotherham and by car to Sheffield. Have been unable to find anything in Laughton area.

Kofi

Look on Zoopla. Here are some for Laugton Common

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/houses/laughton-common/?gclid=CLi2_Yv447oCFSbHtAodcGQAIg&plid=&match=e&kword=houses+to+rent+laughton+common

A quick Google will pick up agents with rental in those areas. Laughton Common is often called Dinnington and these sites. You aren't as likley to find anything in Laughton en le Morthen as its a small village with older housing and its a bit more expensive.

This is more typical of Laughton en le Morthen

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E93902&insId=1&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&googleAnalyticsChannel=renting

Oughtibridge is a nice place to live , and has good links to the city centre.

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. We have been up for a visit this weekend and it is a toss up between Thorpe Hesley and Chapeltown. These are the areas that we like with easy access to Rotherham via public transport for my partner to use to get to work and for myself to get to Sheffield to work in the car.

This website is fantastic and has been a massive help.:)

Glad you've had a chance to get a good look round (and on a nice weekend too). Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi all,

Kofi

Chapeltown is next to Thorpe hesley and has a station

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. We have been up for a visit this weekend and it is a toss up between Thorpe Hesley and Chapeltown. These are the areas that we like with easy access to Rotherham via public transport for my partner to use to get to work and for myself to get to Sheffield to work in the car.

This website is fantastic and has been a massive help.:)

I'd say good choice, hope your move goes smoothly. When do you think you'll be moving ? Welcome to South Yorkshire. :nod: