Peter brooks honda

I had a similar experience with Ford. Went in to ask if its possible to get a keycut with remote unlocking buttons on. They said yes no problem the key fob will be £45 and a further £5 for the key part + cutting. Fairly reasonable I thought so agreed to them selling me one. Then when he gave me the key and fob he said "when do you want me to book it in for programming?". They only wanted a further £180 for programming the key fob, so I asked for a refund on the fob as this wasn't explain before I purchased (didn't expect one on the the key part as it had been cut). He refused a refund on the same grounds, "we can't refund on electrical goods". Was not amused. Anyway after 5 minutes with the help of Google I had my keys remote functions programmed and the immobiliser programmed so wasn't a total loss, but more annoyed they wanted £180 to basically take the car in the back and do a sequence with the key in the ignition and pressing a few buttons on the fob to program it.

And that why some people like to source the parts themselves, to avoid being ripped off. I've also had experiences of mechanics asking me to supply the part myself and they'll fit it, this more than likely suggests its a bit of a fiddle job and the mechanic doesn't want it to go through the books but it happens.

Edited by steroc

Distance Selling Regulations only apply to business who do most of their selling online/over the phone so probably doesn't apply here.

Poor service though.

Really ? I thought it was any sale by any company. I thought it was about the particular transaction rather than the company making it. I'm no expert so happy to be stood corrected. So i wonder where organisations like John Lewis stand. they have both a high street presence and a virtual one ?

Just looking on this and a couple of other sites

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

It doesn't say anything about only being applicable to "business who do most of their selling online/over the phone" Based on this limited research i think you maybe incorrect.

Edited by srtaylo0

Really ? I thought it was any sale by any company. I thought it was about the particular transaction rather than the company making it. I'm no expert so happy to be stood corrected. So i wonder where organisations like John Lewis stand. they have both a high street presence and a virtual one ?

Just looking on this and a couple of other sites

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations/

It doesn't say anything about only being applicable to "business who do most of their selling online/over the phone" Based on this limited research i think you maybe incorrect.

From what I've found out, the Distance Selling Regulations apply to all sales that are made without face to face meeting before monies are exchanged. So if the OP paid for the goods over the phone before collecting then the Distance Selling Regs apply but if he ordered over the phone then paid when picking the item up they don't I'm afraid. Also they only legally have to refund when purchased the latter way if the goods are faulty, unfit for their intended purpose or not as described.

Edited by steroc

The parts guy is just being a D**K, They could easily cancel an order after such a short period of time. Pay them a visit and insist on a refund. If they don't play ball cause a stink in the showroom.

From what I've found out, the Distance Selling Regulations apply to all sales that are made without face to face meeting before monies are exchanged. So if the OP paid for the goods over the phone before collecting then the Distance Selling Regs apply but if he ordered over the phone then paid when picking the item up they don't I'm afraid. Also they only legally have to refund when purchased the latter way if the goods are faulty, unfit for their intended purpose or not as described.

Buyers from ebay shops are covered by distance selling regs.

My bold, What do you mean "before monies are exchanged?:huh: If an ebay shop sells something they are not going to send it to the buyer until money has been paid, the buyer is covered by distance selling regs.

The electrical parts are classed as special order and as such are not subject to normal sales laws. Most dealers charge a restocking fee upto around 25% as they can not send it back to the manufacturer so is dead stock unless someone else requires them. Any decent mechanic would not be getting you to get the psrts and often they get the there own trade discount price. Peter Brook aren't doing anything different to any other dealer across the uk

How is it not subject to normal sales law?

As said it's a special request and as such these are tailored products and anything y hat you order no matter where from in this way is not subject to tge distance selling rules. Is that clear enough???? Check trading standards if you want a more indepth explanation! SIMPLES!

Did you pay by credit card?

If all else fails the card issuer should be able to help.

I think you will find All Dealers work on the same principle, "special order" on Electrical parts. People would order the part try it, find it was something else (as in this case). return it, then the Dealer has to sell on the "used" item. It's not rocket science !

I can't get how people find the concept of this hard to understand

I think you will find All Dealers work on the same principle, "special order" on Electrical parts. People would order the part try it, find it was something else (as in this case). return it, then the Dealer has to sell on the "used" item. It's not rocket science !

Yes but the original poster has not collected and tried the item. They called a few mins later and cancelled. The dealer could easily of cancelled the order.