Bid to ease congestion at Sheffield Station..

From yesterday's Telegraph

Something done to sort out this mess at the station?...

1 About time

2 How about suing the person who designed it/or agreed to it [i should say], for the amount he/she was paid for implementing it... the worst ever busy traffic system?! It looks lovely and watery fun though, so that's nice :):love: ... :roll:

3 Any thoughts?

The new proposals are worse! A drop off point at the staff carpark? If that's where I think it is, it's a massive long hike with a suitcase... and if you have small children?... arthritis and a walking stick? ... And it's raining/snowing/dark? I'm utterly flabbergasted

12 short stay spaces? Short stay anywhere needs damned well policing. THAT is the problem with the current arrangement. Ticket a few Chelsea tractors camping in the drop off and the problem would be solved

Nothing is going to stop taxis queuing out into the main road and causing an obstruction when trains are delayed, interrupting their turnaround

There is still no mention of space to accommodate rail replacement bus services, and I'm sorry, but track DOES have to be worked on, so replacement buses are a fact of life to a station

I think our only solution is to move house. Sheffield planners really are a waste of space

To be hoped they open the whole of the multi-storey up for these so called 40 extra parking spaces needed.

The top floor is closed off 90% of the time. Been told for lighting issues and also gritting issues, no idea which is true. I do know there aren't 40 spaces left every day, especially on a Thursday. On the run up to Christmas, even with the top deck open, it's occasionally been full.

Hallelujah

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Perhaps if they actually enforced existing traffic regulations, a lot of the problems could be reduced.

Kowtowing to taxis that think they have a god-given right to do what they want is getting beyond a joke.

Can they still not open up the old dig site next door? I know originally it was the plan to use the space but then it was classified as scientific interest?

So, they're thinking of basically making the station approachable only if you drive a cab. Good work.

I'm always still staggered when I think of all that space they had/have and how badly thought out it was. But then I think of the long queues for the paltry number of ticket machines and remember that they couldn't even take money off people properly, never mind organise a public space and the related approach needs.

Maybe if they knocked the ticket office down and put some kind of undercover taxi rank there, extend out the front a small way for the ticket office and then allow cars to use the modified taxi access route. Oh, wait a minute.

Perhaps if they actually enforced existing traffic regulations, a lot of the problems could be reduced.

Kowtowing to taxis that think they have a god-given right to do what they want is getting beyond a joke.

Forget the taxis - clamp down on the drivers waiting to pick up, in a zone which is only for dropping off.

Forget the taxis - clamp down on the drivers waiting to pick up, in a zone which is only for dropping off.

Fine 'em all!

I thought that there was some form of camera enforcement supposed to be in place?

I think the problem is the number of taxis waiting there is far too many so then no one can get in or out, its simple cut the taxi rank down a little

I think the problem is the number of taxis waiting there is far too many so then no one can get in or out, its simple cut the taxi rank down a little

This comes down to the greed of the station operator. The rank (which is on the stations private land) has space for 27 taxis. The station operator sells permits to taxis which allows them to enter the private land on which the rank is situated.

Cost ? Approximately £400 per annum

How many have they sold? Approximately 350. For 27 spaces........

This, I walked past it last night and the 'dropping' off area was full of cars waiting to pick someone up.

It's always like that tho, I occasionally drop the other half off at the station and you always have to navigate a slalom of parked cars to get in and out of the place.

One ticket warden is all they need, ONE MAN.