Life Before The Internet

Seeing as the world wide web has invaded our lives for the past 15 years, just what would you be up to nowadays if we went back 20 years?

I would be around 18 now and getting drunk for the first time, playing Tomb Raider 2 on my PlayStation and probably trying my hand at first time employment, this was the late 90's.

I would also be spending too much time in the amusement arcades down at Crystal Peaks (Cyber Centre) and Meadowhall (Namco Wonderpark), them were the days.

I would also be living with my parents, watching my first DVD's and remember the first adult film I went to at UCI Cinema where I sneaked in to an 18 film at the age of 17, the film was Event Horizon and very adult.

If we had no internet now, I would probably be still at my parents or either dead, I dread the thought.

I mean, we do not know with evolution what or where we would be without connected devices 24/7 non stop.

I may have been in a stable position in life, settled and relaxed with a family, instead of social networks having their dirty hand in things.

Actually, life has gotten ever more ignorant and closed in, people are far more in tune with their devices than what the hell is going on around them, even nukes could not drag people away from Fakebook.

I do think the world economic meltdown would not be so wide spread if the web was not here, it is only the advent of social media and always on connections that cause these uprisings that are raft around most the world, we would deffo not be so celeb and fame obsessed, people would be more conserved and not so quick to do things, the internet provokes instant reactions and it is only going to get worse or better.

I remember not knowing what mobile phones were, thinking a VHS recorder was revolutionary and my mouth dropping at Return of the Jedi where I spent most of the film under the cinema seats, don't ask me why.

I do wish people would use the internet in better ways, to boost social environmental issues more, to use things in a more positive way instead of like a message board to air ones ego.

Maybe this is where life is going, I mean without the internet I can tell you the world was far far worse and more ugly, things happened everywhere like dictatorships, oppression, violence, wars, murder, rape and all sorts, it is just we never knew about things, at least we know about more things first before the media even gets stuff, I really hope this continues, the media is irrelevant and its output dated, nothing about is is relevant to society and only worsens it just like politicians.

Anyway going off topic, the world wide web, what's your thoughts?

Really good thread! It does make you wonder what would have happened without it, I expect we would be in the pub talking instead of tweeting or snip chatting. Its a great tool, if used properly, I think!

Seeing as the world wide web has invaded our lives for the past 15 years, just what would you be up to nowadays if we went back 20 years?

I would be around 18 now and getting drunk for the first time, playing Tomb Raider 2 on my PlayStation and probably trying my hand at first time employment, this was the late 90's.

I would also be spending too much time in the amusement arcades down at Crystal Peaks (Cyber Centre) and Meadowhall (Namco Wonderpark), them were the days.

I would also be living with my parents, watching my first DVD's and remember the first adult film I went to at UCI Cinema where I sneaked in to an 18 film at the age of 17, the film was Event Horizon and very adult.

If we had no internet now, I would probably be still at my parents or either dead, I dread the thought.

I mean, we do not know with evolution what or where we would be without connected devices 24/7 non stop.

I may have been in a stable position in life, settled and relaxed with a family, instead of social networks having their dirty hand in things.

Actually, life has gotten ever more ignorant and closed in, people are far more in tune with their devices than what the hell is going on around them, even nukes could not drag people away from Fakebook.

I do think the world economic meltdown would not be so wide spread if the web was not here, it is only the advent of social media and always on connections that cause these uprisings that are raft around most the world, we would deffo not be so celeb and fame obsessed, people would be more conserved and not so quick to do things, the internet provokes instant reactions and it is only going to get worse or better.

I remember not knowing what mobile phones were, thinking a VHS recorder was revolutionary and my mouth dropping at Return of the Jedi where I spent most of the film under the cinema seats, don't ask me why.

I do wish people would use the internet in better ways, to boost social environmental issues more, to use things in a more positive way instead of like a message board to air ones ego.

Maybe this is where life is going, I mean without the internet I can tell you the world was far far worse and more ugly, things happened everywhere like dictatorships, oppression, violence, wars, murder, rape and all sorts, it is just we never knew about things, at least we know about more things first before the media even gets stuff, I really hope this continues, the media is irrelevant and its output dated, nothing about is is relevant to society and only worsens it just like politicians.

Looking for coins and straws?? :D

I agree bedders. Before the internet I lived under a bridge and only came out to scare peeps :cool:

My thoughts are that you and I grew up in the same area at the same time.

Remember the virtual reality thing at the peaks arcade?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yes, only ever used it once as it was expensive but those things gave me motion sickness.

Do you remember when the first Mortal Kombat film got released, I eventually owned the actual poster the arcade used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moosey

Yes, only ever used it once as it was expensive but those things gave me motion sickness.

Do you remember when the first Mortal Kombat film got released, I eventually owned the actual poster the arcade used.

That arcade was great. Good times!

I don't care how much people hark back about how good the olden days were, of course they were better, you were young. Growing old isn't great is it?

Anyway, I'd be sat in the living room bored out of my mind because mom had control of the TV and she wanted to watch Heartbeat.

The internet is the best thing in the world.

Was sending messages back over the Internet or rather it's former back in the early 1980s, people were doing it before me in some form or other. If you're asking what most people did before the Internet, I don't know because I'm not most people. Personally, it was having an interest, and consulting various books on similar themes to try and make sense of what people were saying and to try an draw a commonality. Now anyone can say anything over the net so there is a lot of BS around. Before the net, most of the BSing was done by newspapers who could print what they wanted ... and still do.

I make a point of never using the internet.

Yes.... I do agree ....

Internet has helped a lot and have a great impact in this modern age. We even can't imagine our life without it now. Internet has made the communication easier and better. Everything thing have it positive as well as some negative effects. In the same way internet have helped in many ways but it have some negative impact too.

Was sending messages back over the Internet or rather it's former back in the early 1980s, people were doing it before me in some form or other. If you're asking what most people did before the Internet, I don't know because I'm not most people. Personally, it was having an interest, and consulting various books on similar themes to try and make sense of what people were saying and to try an draw a commonality. Now anyone can say anything over the net so there is a lot of BS around. Before the net, most of the BSing was done by newspapers who could print what they wanted ... and still do.

it was called prestel, and im afraid to say, yes I was on it