Could "God" pass the Elijah test?

Paul Daniels did this on a show in 1983 in the Bunko booth.

You just contradicted yourself there. 'God can do anything'. ' It's impossible for him to have a change of mind'.

Which is it?

There are a lot of problems with the claim that god is omniscient and omnipotent. God not being able to change his mind is one of them.

What I can't understand is how Christianity can claim a omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent god exists when the bible, in many places, depicts a god that isn't any of those things. Have the theologians, like writers of a comic book who invent superheroes, simply pulled ideas out of their backside while trying to invent that god?

Baal was the sun god of the tribes the early Christians wished to occupy therefor they demonised this more ancient representation of their god in order to justify the rape and murder of these people, something they did for the next seventeen hundred years or so.

So he could do it again today if tested then?

Of course, if he exists.

That doesn't mean he would though

There are a lot of problems with the claim that god is omniscient and omnipotent. God not being able to change his mind is one of them.

What I can't understand is how Christianity can claim a omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent god exists when the bible, in many places, depicts a god that isn't any of those things. Have the theologians, like writers of a comic book who invent superheroes, simply pulled ideas out of their backside while trying to invent that god?

In answer to your question, yes, I believe they did. Whilst I was raised religiously - as a Catholic - I could never accept the total illogicality of the whole thing.

Went to a Methodist service a while back ( family thing ) & had to struggle to keep a straight face at some of the inconsistencies in the hymns sung during the service.

One minute it was God is loving, forgiving & all will be saved. Next minute the Wrath of God is mighty, & sinners & unbelievers will be smitten by his vengeance.

Talk about make your bleedin mind up!

Having said which, the people there were decent well meaning types & why should I start having a go about their faith?

If it brings them comfort & helps them get through life then good luck to them. :)

i believe that those who believe, believe that he does not feel the need to prove his existence or his abilities

Pretty convenient, but that renders the parable in his book false doesn't it?

if you accept he did it (at least) once before, isn't it a reasonable assumption that he could do it again?

perhaps it's like a beckham free kick - most attempts don't come off, but once every now and then he hits the target

maybe all these bush fires are god just practicing for when he is called upon again

i suppose it could have been a fluke or a co-incidence - or maybe even a made up story

Indeed.

Pretty convenient, but that renders the parable in his book false doesn't it?

have you ever done something just because you were asked to do it even though you didn't particularly want to?

maybe Elijah caught God on a good day

maybe Elijah caught God on a good day

And maybe he had a match. :D

I like the ideas of a god olympics to sort things outt but I suspect the event will not live up to the hype.

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 09:47 ----------

The scriptures say 'You shall not tempt The Lord thy God'.

Deut. 6:16 & Luke 4:12 & Matt. 4:7.

Yes but we aren't suggesting he borrow 40 virgins from Allah and spend 40 days and 40 nights with them in the wilderness. It's just a pile of logs.

A strong solution (Over 20%) of hydrogen peroxide looks a lot like water and can cause wood to combust.

Not saying that's what happened and I wouldn't want to try the experiment without protective gear on, but back in Elijahs day someone pouring a strong enough mixture onto a pile of wood would certainly look like they were soaking it in water and the subsequent flames would certainly appear to be a miracle.

i believe that those who believe, believe that he does not feel the need to prove his existence or his abilities

if you accept he did it (at least) once before, isn't it a reasonable assumption that he could do it again?

perhaps it's like a beckham free kick - most attempts don't come off, but once every now and then he hits the target

maybe all these bush fires are god just practicing for when he is called upon again

i suppose it could have been a fluke or a co-incidence - or maybe even a made up story

Does that mean Beckhams god? Or not?

Does that mean Beckhams god? Or not?

he certainly seems to be omnipresent sometimes