Sheffield local TV station

I think if Leeds, Preston, Nottingham, Grimsby & all these other towns/cities are having a channel just for them then we should too.

I went to a presentation at the Showroom Cinema this morning about this, looks great. They also showed us clips from Sheffield's last channel.

Was filmed by One Show, they said it should be on this month or next.

I'm probably a bit weird by this forum's standards, but I'd like to see this before I started moaning and groaning "It'll never work", 'It'll be rubbish", etc, etc.

That's the typical Sheffield attitude though - slag it off before you've even seen it!

Sure it'll be good when it actually starts :)

That's the typical Sheffield attitude though - slag it off before you've even seen it!

I'm not so much as slagging it as saying I find there is no need for it.

There will be a wildlife program presented by Bill t' Odie that will feature Night Vision cameras, filming the greater spotted chav in their natural habitat, Breaking into cars.

There will be several locations likely to attract that wildlife.What about the lesser fan-tailed slapper often sighted after dark in Barkers Pool,often pursued by the greater bellied beligerantum adnauseam?

I'm not so much as slagging it as saying I find there is no need for it.

No need for who? It'll be a commercially run station so what difference does it make? Some people might actually find it useful/informative.

No need for who? It'll be a commercially run station so what difference does it make? Some people might actually find it useful/informative.

A television is not compensation for real life. The information will all be tinted and opinionated in the flavours of the people in charge of the station.

Encourage people to grow upwards, not horizontal boxed into a television.

Channel M in Manchester was good, but the limited content was repeated a lot to cover a day's broadcasting.

A television is not compensation for real life.

Who's saying that it is?! Merely pointing out that it may provide some useful information that might not be readily available.

The information will all be tinted and opinionated in the flavours of the people in charge of the station.

TV station in producing programmes suited to it's own agenda? Now there's a shocking statement if ever I heard one...sigh.

Next you'll be telling me I should be careful what I read in certain newspapers.

Have you seen the proposed schedules?

It'll be a commercially run station so what difference does it make?

It's not a fully commercial operation, there's significant public investment going into the project. None of the local stations launched over the years (like Channel M) as commercial entities have survived.

Have you seen the proposed schedules?

It's not a fully commercial operation, there's significant public investment going into the project. None of the local stations launched over the years (like Channel M) as commercial entities have survived.

My apologies, it's not fully commercial you're correct. It's partly grant funded it would seem, the same way in which we fund art galleries, theatres and the like? Don't see anyone jumping up and down about those... That said I still can't see it being a huge investment given the scale of the station. Why does something that's aiming to promote the city need to be derided before it's started?

In terms of the schedules then I don't see what's too upsetting about them. They are just samples afterall - I'm sure they'll be something that is of use to everyone.

Why does something that's aiming to promote the city need to be derided before it's started?

It's not though. The idea behind them isn't to promote the city - after all you won't even be able to pick it up in the whole city. Even the London station is only expected to cover about 60% of the current BBC/ITV London area.

It's simple grab of funding that someone in Government has decided to allocate for no better reason than they have city tv stations in the US. There's basically zero audience demand or advertiser demand for these stations.

I'd be quite happy if these stations were being run on a commercial basis, but I do not like my taxes and TV licence fee being wasted on vanity pet projects with no grounding in the real world. I'll also quite happily eat my words and apologise if they manage to produce anything of cultural or societal value and actually gain a measurable audience share. If they do that, then yes, it could be justified them getting public funding, but I seriously doubt the simulcast of the Sheffield Live breakfast show will be doing that.